1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis price matching

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stone Free, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    When does this take effect ?

I was hoping to do a price match on an Sony KV32FX20 on the weekend of 12-13 October, or do I have to beg borrow or steal and do it this weekend ?

2. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    End of October I believe.

<a href="http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19214" target="_blank">http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19214</a>

3. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those thinking of taking advantage of this, the latest JL trading statement says that in the very near future this will apply to high street prices only and not to internet.

4. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    20th october internet price matching stops

Its because JL are lauching there own commerce website johnlewis.co.uk

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I visited JL in Bristol yesturday and spoke to them about price matching.

As I might be getting a refund for my Sony TV, I want to get JL to price match.

But I spoke to a few different people who all casted doubt on their willingness to price match internet prices NOW!

They filled in a form which goes off to their 'price match' dept, but they said that there is no guarantee that they will always price match anymore!

I will have to wait until mid-week to find out.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Well, my supplier has said that they will give me a refund, because it seems that they can't guarantee delivery of aa 'new' Sony!

So, if I get it, and JL match their price.. THen it looks like I will be going with them.

Havn't hear from JL today.. Hopefully tommorow.

Jon

7. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I tried to pricematch the Sony KV32DX30 set £999 at comet.

All went fine until I phoned up John Lewis to conform that ITV-Digital reception was <br />available in my area. Then they said that the model is discontinued for <br />the DX40 and that they would not be able to get any more stock of the DX30.

I dont know if I should risk it at comet or get my original choice from Empire Direct as the 32FX20 is no longer sold at John Lewis

8. se_warner

se_warner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

Did my price match about 2 weeks ago against QED. They filled in the form on Saturday and I got the phonecall Monday. Also includes the 5 year guarantee which QED didn't.

Steve

9. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to this and previous threads about John Lewis it is quite clear that they DO know they are being undersold, so how can they get away with making such a statement?

10. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

They're price matching with the Internet up until 20th October. Ordered my Philips 36PW9525 with them today. All I needed to do was take a print out of the web page of the Internet supplier in question to prove price, availablilty and delivery. No probs whatsoever and dead easy. In total saved myself around £500 compared to Dixons/Comet and their ilk.

Just thought the info may be useful.

Regards

:)

11. Faithlessme

Faithlessme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay - now I'm confused.

I've just gone into my John Lewis to buy a Sony KP44PS2. I asked them to price match from the internet and they said they do NOT do that anymore.

Where does this date of October 20th come from (is it official ?). Also, which John Lewis store did you use ??

My store is at Cribbs Causeway in Bristol and they just won't do the price match.

If they should still be doing this until the 20th October I think I shall phone the JL Head Office to complain !!

Thanks,

Mark

12. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Thats weird.. My local store is Cribbs too and yesterday I ordered a Smny KV36FS70 price matched to £2026

They originally came back with £2049 (priced matched against Empire Direct), but I originally told them about 'unbeatable' which was £20 cheaper!

I submitted the 'undersales' request on Sunday and got confirmation on Wednesday..

Get back down there and tell them that you know for a FACT that others are getting price matched!

I hope this helps

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have an idea why I might have got a price-match on this occasion.

The original price of the FS70 was £2500.

The Internet price was £2000, therefore a huge saving of over 20%.

But now it seems that the FS70 has been reduced everywhere to £2200.

But the internet price is still £2000, so the saving is now only 10%

I guess that a 10% discount is not too hard to do in any store.

But with some models, I guess that the difference in price is still huge (i.e &gt;20%) and this may be something that JL arn't willing to do.

I wonder that if the Internet price of the FS70 came down to something like £1800, whether JL would still price match it!

14. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I bought a TV from JL Bristol with a price match. Afterwards I saw a post in this forum that stated something I had not thought about.

That was, if you go to JL they advertise at say £2k. ED might sell for £1.5K. If you are aware, you get your price match and ED lose the sale. If someone else goes to JL unaware of ED's competitive prices, they pay up £2k and JL make a tasty profit. Either way ED would be the loser and may eventually fail due to JL's selective competitiveness. (Never knowingly undersold -my arse!)

Its the likes of ED and QED that offer these reduced prices ALL THE TIME TO EVERYONE.

Bearing that in mind, I returned the faulty TV to JL after a real struggle with their ludicrous return policy (Set needs to be checked for a fault three times before they will refund/Xchange and their engineer's didn't turn up after I had booked a day off! I ended up going to the store for a face to face as I was getting nowhere on the phone) got a full refund and bought from ED.

I've had two faulty sets (manufacturers fault not ED) and ED have been excellent. After the latest fault they agreed to swap for an upgrade (Tosh 32ZP18 to 36) without any problems.

As far as my experience goes I will be pleased if JL stop price matching On-line retailers and give them more of a chance.

15. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is another example of JL knowing that they ARE undersold. How does this conform to the Trade Descriptions Act? JL put on a nice face to everyone and rrun good stores, but behind the scenes they are ruthless!

16. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jon,
    After reading your posts are you really getting another FS70?? You must look like Mr Universe lugging those beasts about!

Regards :D

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been following this with interest, IMO what I think will happen is that the "good" online suppliers, like the ones quoted, will continue to do good business. As will the shops that do a good job too. The ones that don't, from both areas, will come unstuck as forums such as this one allow consumers to share their knowledge with ease nationally. I, for one, welcome this. Retailers that are not providing the service should not be able to "hide" and continue providing the same bad service to new unsuspecting consumers.
    (Rant over)

18. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    hehehe.. Yep.. Biceps are getting the size of tree trunks (well saplings anyway)..

Don't think for a minute that I am doing any of the hard work.. I am acting like a 'project manager'.. The delivey guys come and I tell them where to put it.

Thats not really true.. After they have gone, I have to make some slight adjustments with a willing helper, but other people are doing all the lugging about!

Saying that, i have done my fair share of moving them about and they are f**king heavy!

And people question why I am nervous about putting in on an unsupported 10mm glass sheet!

I have always used 'on-line' companies before and always will.. Its just that this time, I have had so much trouble, its going to be easier getting it from a local supplier.. Plus I get the 5 year warantee.

19. Ol

Ol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that someone had good service from Empire Direct - I have finally just received a TV two weeks after I ordered after having a complete nightmare with them. They are bunch of useless idiots in my opinion. Rude, arrogant and completely hopeless. The prices may be good but if it takes 2 days off work and a phone call every day for the last two weeks is it really worth it?

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.