John Lewis Price Matching

parkerc

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen a number of threads in different sections about who JL will and won;t price match - so I thought it would be good to get one consolidated list going because JL with there 5 years and never knowingly undersold promise are a popular choice.

I've pinched a posting from Redface (slightly edited to kick things off)

JL have price matched..
Crampton & Moore (Sheffield)
Richer Sounds (Many branches)
HiSpek (St Albans)
Sound & Vision (Farnworth)
Selfridges
Comet
Currys
Dixons

They will not price match (in my experience)

Krish AV
AJ Electronics
AV Sales

John Lewis claim they will not match online only retailers (unless they have a shop front)

I'm very interested in RGBDirect - anyone have success with them at JL ?

OK.. Now if anyone managed to get a price match at JL from a company not, please could they state the retailer, the product, the date and the price achieved.

+ Any other pertinent comments/information

Many Thanks

Its much easier to price match with a Barclaycard credit card, they will match almost any UK retailer within 60 days of purchase whether internet or shop against any other UK retailer. There are some terms and conidtions, like minimum spend £50 and I think there is a £1000 per year limit as to how much they will pay you etc. Barclaycard also offer an extra year warranty on nearly all electrical goods over £50 for free as well.

The price match terms are here.

I have nothing to do with Barclaycard myself, just make use of the benefits.

Andy.

JL (Bluewater) DID match AV Sales for my 504 HDE

B.

John Lewis policy is to price match ANY retail outlet (shop to me and you) in the country. They will not price match internet sales (unless they also offer the same goods via a shop).

All you need to do is provide some sort of proof of the deal and a telephone number. They will then ring to confirm and pricematch. They will also add any postage costs you may incur.

I've done this a number of times at the Sheffield store and the staff are excellent.

So does AV Sales in Kent have a shop-front as stipulated by JL so I can price match with them?
I'm after the PDP434 HDE. I don't need stand or speakers but it looks like JL selling it as package along with the screen.
Ihope they will so I can this set for under 4 grand with a 5yr warranty.
Al...

They should match AJ Electronics then as they have a shopfront in Edgeware Road

i work for john lewis!!!
i can tell you that they will price match any like for like product so same product number and packages if you could walk into that shop that day and then walk out with it for a price
if they dont have stock or you cant walk into a shop and buy it you wont get a match and if the package is different like speaker or not or a stand or not they wont unless its the same thing
as for companies i couldnt tell you as i put so many through each time im there its hard to keep up
some places advertise internet prices with a shop and when you go into the shop the price is different or they still charge you delivery price if this is right then they will match the final price
5 year guarentee is in my experience so worth the while!!!

So, G10SE, do you think the following is an acceptable price match offer?

h**p://w*w.homecinemaheaven.com/prod_info/tvplasma/plasma/434pack.htm

well at the moment no as they have none in stock and also after reading there site it says there instore prices are similar which will probably mean they are not the same
when we phone up they will give a price and tell us if they are avaliable from the shop
you would have to find there instore price for it and any delivery costs to your self as they shouldnt let you take it and once you have done that check when they are expecting some and then try!!!

Do JL still give 5 years on Plasma's without tuners. I am sure I read somewhere that they had claimed they were 'monitors' and hence not included in the extended warrenty.

Might be wrong though,

Chris.

we dont sell plasmas without tuners so that doesnt apply
all tv's with tuners qualify for the 5 year guarente
monitors often have 2 or 3 years depending on make

Sorry mate, did not even realise you could buy it with a tuner - everyone else sells without!

Chris.

i no thats why it is so hard to tell people about the price match cos we stick in a 500 quid tuner and no one else does and people want there price with the tuner but its not the same deal!!!
hope that helps

Thanks for your help G10SE. I think I'm just gonna get the JL one and sell on the speakers & stand to recoup some cash back because with the JL 5 yr warranty, I think it's a excellent deal.

yup thats ya best bet!
JL all the way for tv's

edit god im such a geek!

After seeing this thread went into JL and got them to price match Sound and Vision on a Tosh 36ZP38, got it for £1149 plus free delivery and 5 years guarantee.

:thumbsup: Bonus

Also said that they would have price matched Hi Spek.

Cheers for the info guys.....:smashin:

I got my 5 series panasonic plasma from jl in october - they knocked £2000 off the ticket price of £4700

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but why do JL do this? Why don't they just have sensible prices in the first place. I know I couldn't 'morally' sell one person, who maybe is not so knowledgable the screen at full whack and then knock £2k off for someone else!

Is 'excessive' (in the context of the wider visual/plasma industy!!) margin being made to subsidise price matching?

Or does no-one actually pay the ticket price!!????

they have brick and mortar costs, they price match one offs to keep face, they tout they wont be beaten etc.. however, if its too much to swallow, they wont set the ticket price to the new price.. so yeah, one person pays 2k more, like cars.. im crap at haggling :)

well actually most of the time they send out people to check prices in the high street and they match that to be fair they are only suppost to price match with in 20 miles and they do this and what you normally find is that price of 2k less was a offer at the time and probably changed which john lewis will match and if they think its not a offer just a price cut then down comes our ticket price!
the problem is is costs a fortune to send people out checking prices and if they had to do it to every shop every day it wouldnt be worth it financially so they dont every now and then some one comes in with a price and we match it job done
moral of the story check ya prices!
besides the person paying the extra hasnt lost out on anything as they are getting the customer service and 4 years worth of extra guarentees im sorry but in my opinion we shouldnt price match half the people we do as they dont offer the same product as we give 4 years extra guarentee which on a plasma is worth about £500-700 so actually your getting a blinder of a deal
but i guess you cant please them all!!!

exactly, I wanted a 6 and could have got it online for the same price, but not with a 5yr JL warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom