1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Price Match ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PitBull, Jan 21, 2002.

1. PitBull

PitBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings,

I'm after a 36" TV - I want an excellent picture, two RGB scarts, and I don't need DD or DTS as I'll be using external amps etc. I have settled on either the Philips 36PW9525 or Panasonic TX-36PL30.

This weekend I will be going to John Lewis in High Wycombe (or maybe Cribb's Causeway) to get a price match and their 5-year guarantee on one of these.

I understand that John Lewis no longer price match against internet stores - but I assume they will still match against normal mail order stores and also stores with a physical presence (i.e. ones where you could actually walk in, see and buy the TV).

I assume this means they will still match against:

HiSpek (Brentwood & St. Albans)
    HiFi Confidential (Buckingham Palace Rd, London)
    Hiway (Edgeware Rd, London)
    Krish AV (Chiswick - BTW did this used to be SDB ?)
    PRC (Forest Gate & Ilford)
    RGB (Ilford)
    Robert Whyte (Glasgow)
    Sound & Vision (Bolton)

Anybody know any different ???

Best prices I have so far are £1530 for the Philips and £1560 for the Panny - anybody know any better 'JL-able' prices for these TVs ???

Thanks in advance...

PitBull.

2. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

JL in High Wycombe do price match but as you said - not internet. The store I used as a reference price was Sound and Vision in Bolton. You will need to call them up, get a price and give JL all the information incl. telephone numbers etc. They will do an "underpricing" and it takes about 3-4 days for them to do it. JL are the best!!! free 5 years guarantee and no quibble of you want to return it.

AS a matter of interest I bought my Panny TX36PB50 from JL in High Wycombe. I am very unhappy with the picture quality compared to the Sony 36". You take a look at the two in the cinema room and tell me what you think??? My Panny is going back - so be careful when chosing the panny - maybe I just got a duff one but for me the image is over processed and quite blurred when the Just or zoom mode is used for non-full-widescreen broadcasts. Can't fault it on DVD though.

When I got mine the chap in JL said that the panny picture was not as good due to the fact that the aerial in the panny was a weaker signal than the Sony - this turned out to be a "crock". The service man at JL took a look and agreed that the Panny's picture was no where near as good.. The problem is that the Sony has some issues of its own (read other posts) and I am a bit reluctant to buy this one either - I'm a bit stuck at the moment!!! I think I will wait until the issue of banding is resolved on the sony sets and then plump for one of these.

Cheers,

Paul

4. matt_joel

matt_joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For price-matching etc, does it have to be local store or does it not matter? I have just bought a Loewe Aconda from JL but found it a cheaper thru Robert Whyte but they're located in GLasgow. Would that matter to them?

Cheers

5. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't think it matters. What JL will do is ring the store to find out exactly how much they will charge for delivery etc and then price match to this total.

6. AlPatch

AlPatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently done a price match at JL in Southampton.

All you need to do is find a high street shop that is selling the exact model including all other bits such as speakers etc that matches the JL system. Don't worry about warranty they will add this in at the end.

If JL have it in stock then the shop you have priced matched against must also have it in stock. If JL don't have it in stock and the shop does not either then JL will ring the shop, check all the details are the same and do the price match.

Took them 20 minutes to do mine. No problem at all.

Let me know if you need more info.

7. matt_joel

matt_joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help.

Just received my letter from JL...stand to save about £250 on a loewe TV. Took them about 2 days.

Getting it delivered is another matter....