John Lewis Price match........

screemer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a price match on a Panny TX32LXD52 from John lewis in Liverpool. They say they will only match a price within the local area, ie Merseyside??? Anyone know any retailers in this area with a lower price than £1400???

well i got a price match on a samsung last week! the john lewis`s in question was cheadle branch (stockport) and they price matched crampton and moore in sheffield and isnt local at all! as far as i know they will price match any store price nationwide but not internet offers! i didnt go through with the sale mind you after reading several threads on here about the samsung lcd`s many problems!!

john lewis price match is national, you are never knowingly undersold.
The only stipulations are-

1 -the the item must be the same boxed item (not grey imports/modified/similar)
2 -it must be an official price from an existing UK street shop (no mail order or internet companies)
3 -the shop must have actual stock of the item (some stores price items cheap for attention when they have little stock - hence its an unrealistic price)

As long as the above are met your undersale is valid.

(im a JL employee by the way <- fed up of saying that on here, any problems simply phone a branch and ask about undersales TVs follow the same guidelines as any other stock item)

Digitised said:
john lewis price match is national, you are never knowingly undersold.
The only stipulations are-

1 -the the item must be the same boxed item (not grey imports/modified/similar)
2 -it must be an official price from an existing UK street shop (no mail order or internet companies)
3 -the shop must have actual stock of the item (some stores price items cheap for attention when they have little stock - hence its an unrealistic price)

As long as the above are met your undersale is valid.

(im a JL employee by the way <- fed up of saying that on here, any problems simply phone a branch and ask about undersales TVs follow the same guidelines as any other stock item)

This is strange, as not only did I phone JL but I also emailed the online section of the store, and both said the price match is within a certain radius of the store.

The John Lewis "never knowingly undersold" thing is a load of BO***CKS !

I did a price match a few years ago, knocking nearly £500 off the John Lewis price. Surely as John Lewis then know that they are being "under sold" then they should adjust there price accordingly !!.

But they did not, the TV that I bought was still at the original price for the next six months.

I would question the legality of stating "never knowingly undersold" when you know that your being "under sold"

themanwithapc said:
This is strange, as not only did I phone JL but I also emailed the online section of the store, and both said the price match is within a certain radius of the store.

I was confused by this as well but was told by a colleague of my wife's (she works in JL) that it can be any other shop in the UK. If I wanted to price match in Glasgow and the competitor was in say Stockport I would simply order over the phone from Cheadle via the Glasgow store - at least that's what the nice lady told me. But...if I did it that way I wouldn't get my 12% discount. Only way I'd get that would be if they actually price matched AND lowered the price in store.

Interesting comments here. Looks like i will have t otry again now. Is crampton and Moore an actual shop then, i thought it was just a a mail order outlet?? I have also found that martin and dawes in liverpool are doing the set for £1249 so if JL match that it wont be too bad

jerkyboy said:
The John Lewis "never knowingly undersold" thing is a load of BO***CKS !

------

I would question the legality of stating "never knowingly undersold" when you know that your being "under sold"

the title is clearly -

never 'KNOWINGLY' undersold

so it speaks for itself. I admit the official people in charge of undersales+pricing do not probably research their prices as hard as they could. This is probably because customers seem to do it far more effectively and it saves money if they can have smaller teams matching products (if any at all from my 4 years experience)

We always match and you still get 5 years guarantee, i hate to say it but we cant do everything because staffing is so tight (damn capitalism).

Yes but like I said, once they have done a price match they then "KNOW" that they are being undersold.

Do they then lower there price, do they fudge

You surely, legally can't state that you are "never knowinlgy undersold" when you know that you are being "undersold".

You get my point ?.

jerkyboy said:
Yes but like I said, once they have done a price match they then "KNOW" that they are being undersold.

Do they then lower there price, do they fudge

You surely, legally can't state that you are "never knowinlgy undersold" when you know that you are being "undersold".

You get my point ?.

He has really got a very good point there to be honest. I am going to sheffield JL today I think if I do I will see if the Sharp 26" p50 gone down to the price they match for me.

they will pricematch nationally, but a store's undersales department only checks and adjusts their shelf prices locally.

So as a customer of the high wycombe store, if a shop in High Wycombe has it cheaper, they'll change the sticker in the shop. If I ring up saying that a shop in Scotland has it cheaper, I'll get it cheaper but they won't change the sticker in the shop.

I saw an LCD (Sharp LC32-P50E) with 5 yrs guarantee being sold for £899 yesterday. Now I have found a couple of suppliers who have shops and stock who are selling for considerably less (£750) but with only 1 yrs manufacturors warranty.

Will JL price match the £750 AND cover 5 years warranty?

(if they're playing ball)

IF they have a shop then yes they will price match and give you there 5 years warrenty too :D

Who the firm you want to price match with as I have known some people have prob matching with certain retailers

Sound and Vision in Bolton, who seem a reputable firm. I've bought stuff from them before (you can internet buy, or walk in off the street to their shop).

SHould not be a problem with them mate I know some people who have price match against them with success. But some JL branch are very Picky. Sheffield John Lewis are brill at price matching

Thanks for the heads up on that one. Phew! We nearly bought in-store yesterday (mainly as the price and 5yr guarantee looked good) I'll ring them ASAP and try the price match thing.

Ian

:smashin: :D Long live AVforums.com !!! :thumbsup:

To let you know Price match can take as long as 7 days. But some are done within 30 mins it all depends on the department. But it wont be done over the weekend as far as I am aware. I wanted a price match on a sat but couldnt as the right people were not there but I brough the item at full price and then they refunded me the different. No prob at all

thedoc said:
Sound and Vision in Bolton, who seem a reputable firm. I've bought stuff from them before (you can internet buy, or walk in off the street to their shop).
S&V are one of those companies thta John Lewis don't like to price match against. They argue that S&V don't show shelf-edge prices and tend to "negotiate" prices with their customers so you may have trouble with them.

Well, to keep u in the picture, Jl of Liverpol yesterday matched Crampton & Moores price on the TX32LXD52 at £1099, its comin next wednesday. Cheers for all your help guys.

Another big :thumbsup: for John Lewis. I asked for a price match on late Friday and got the call back on Saturday lunchtime. I think it must be quite regional as to the level of 'service' received.

My personal view is that you are better off telephoning your local store. They will then put you through to the 'undersales' department. The lady I spoke to checked that the company I would like to price match were not on the exclusion list, and took all the details.

This is the second time I have used their price policy - the first was for a camcorder, and I had mistakenly used an internet company for the price match. JL rang back and told me they could not match this price, but for £10 more the internet company did have a high street store - did I want to match that? At a saving of over £150, errr yes please :)

Bet you can't wait for the TV , top marks to JL for the price match though :)

5 year guarantee certainly puts your mind at ease with the initial outlay

Hi

I was following a very similar path to screemer and finally decided on the TX32LXD52 on Saturday. Had a look in JL in London and tried to get them to price match to Crampton & Moore, but they phoned today to say they cannot as C&M do not have shelf-edge pricing (as a previous posting noted was required). :thumbsdow

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get London to change their response or any other dealers that satisfy JL criteria (e.g. has anyone successfully used Sound & Vision in Bolton, or Martin Dawes in NW and Midlands)? :lease:

yelmarb said:
Hi

I was following a very similar path to screemer and finally decided on the TX32LXD52 on Saturday. Had a look in JL in London and tried to get them to price match to Crampton & Moore, but they phoned today to say they cannot as C&M do not have shelf-edge pricing (as a previous posting noted was required). :thumbsdow

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get London to change their response or any other dealers that satisfy JL criteria (e.g. has anyone successfully used Sound & Vision in Bolton, or Martin Dawes in NW and Midlands)? :lease:
There are a number of JL stores that have and currently do pricematch against C&M, Nottingham store for one. If you can't get you're local JL to change their mind then give Nottingham a ring and get them to do it, the London branch will have to follow suit. Sound & Vision rarely get pricematched by JL.

neilmcl said:
There are a number of JL stores that have and currently do pricematch against C&M, Nottingham store for one. If you can't get you're local JL to change their mind then give Nottingham a ring and get them to do it, the London branch will have to follow suit. Sound & Vision rarely get pricematched by JL.

I tried to get that LCD pricematched today.

I can confirm I was told it was JL policy not to pricematch against Sound and Vision as they do not show shelf-edge prices and sometimes negotiate deals with the consumer. :thumbsdow

(personally I thought this sounds like a cop out - but took it on the chin as I can get the same LCD screen with a 3 yr warranty for over £106 cheaper than JL price or £36 cheaper if I went with a 5 yr warranty)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom