1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Price Match

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by calvinhobbes, Jul 6, 2004.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know with which on-line retailers John Lewis agrees to price match?

I'm thinking of getting the new Samsung 26" LCD and it's about £300-400 more expensive at JL than RGB, unbeatable, electrical direct. Also will get a plasma over the summer sales so would be useful to know, given JL's guarantee.

Cheers

2. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis will not price match any online retailer anymore. Will only price match retailers that have stores as well as online (Sound and Vision for example) ;)

3. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to look at hiwayhifi they have an online presence and were 700 cheaper than JL on my 504HDE which JL matched because hiwayhifi have a shop on Edgeware Road.

4. shep_ski

shep_ski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jl in cheadle would not price match sound and vision for me yesterday :(

email reply from them:

"Hi
    I am sorry but we do not match sound and vision prices . I apologise that
    we can not be of help in this matter."

5. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robert Sayle (John Lewis) in Cambridge and JL in Peterborough matched Techtronics. They are mainly an on-line retailer but have a shop in Thurlby Lincolnshire - check their website for details. Their price for the Pio 434 was £836 cheaper than JL! They have to have the products in stock and they will phone to make sure before they price match.

6. AntonB

AntonB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm currently awaiting the results of a price match with Crampton and Moore (info at www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk but they have a store in Sheffield). Their prices seem pretty good (Samsung LW-26A33 for £1165). I gather from these forums that JL should price match. I'll post back with the outcome.

7. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just got this very set at the J.L. store in High Wycombe last night!

It was £1395, which is more than Unbeatable et al but does come with a 5 year guarantee (and piece of mind from being a High Street retailer).

Excellent screen it is too - the PC display is awesome as well as DVD playback. Haven't tried TV (analogue or digital) yet...

Far Cry, CounterStrike, UT2004 and Halo are great fun on this via PC.

Well chuffed! :clap:

If you manage to pricematch cheaper, then post here, because J.L.'s should hopefully pricematch mine too.

Regards,

Tim.

PS. Thanks to Fruitbat for the input he gave regarding his own Samsung set.

8. MPBayless

MPBayless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought kit from John Lewis with Barclaycard and used the Barclaycard price match refund facility ?

9. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that Barclaycard will view the fact that JL includes a 5 year warranty so it will be excluded as not like for like.

10. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm getting a Panasonic 32 inch Plasma to replace a faulty Phillips 30 " Plasma, and John Lewis Oxford Street won't match Sound and Vision - the woman told me they won't even match Currys cos they have an online price and a store price.Another they won't match is Robertsons (who have 30 stores !! ).I'll try them versus Crampton and Moore tomorrow but it seems to me that although they offer the benefit of 5 year warranty they are a lot more expensive and the price match promise is pretty empty as they impose so many conditions and there are so many loopholes.It also seems they apply it pretty inconsistently across the country.

11. AntonB

AntonB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just heard back from JL. They will match Crampton and Moore (but had to take in account the £35 that C&M charge for delivery). Saved me another £65 on my Pansonic 37PE30, so I'm happy.

12. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was recently in John Lewis in Liverpool and observed a refund transaction taking place - what roused my interest was a COSTCO card was being shown.
    When it was over I asked the TV salesperson if they matched COSTCO for TV's which he confirmed. I pointed out that COSTCO only gave a 3 year
    warranty and JL gave five - it did not matter - they still did the pricematch.
    I then pointed out that last year I bought a TV via SAGA (now no longer available) which was £500 cheaper than theirs but they would not price match-he stated SAGA only catered for over 50's and therefore not available to everyone.

I pointed out tha COSTCO was only available to Members so his Saga arguement did'nt hold water.
    He had to agree.
    Never knowingly Undersold in my experience is a myth

13. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe they match Costco - that's how I got the original pricematch on the Phillips ( even then I had trouble,JL Watford had matched Costco so eventually they agreed to match their own store !!!!!) but usually they add the membership fee to the cost.Whether they'll match C and M will be interesting as they have the Panasonic at 2,300, but Hiwayhifi have it for 2,199, so I'll try them both tomorrow, and use the Forum examples to illustrate their inconsistent approach if they refuse.
    If anyone else has any examples I'd be interested thanks

14. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just spoke to a Mrs Wizzard in JL undersale dept John Lewis and it was like talking to a police woman who's caught you doing 31 in a 30 but wants to apply the letter of the law. They don't match HiwayHifi,Crampton and Moore,Techtronics (now the policy is that if they're" mainly on line " they won't match.) In fact they don't seem to match anyone except Selfridges.When I explained they did a price match 2 months ago with Costco for me on my current TV she said that was a "mistake".When I said that other stores price match all the above she said they were all mistakes or I was mistaken and the policy was not being applied inconsistently.The arrogance was breathtaking so I've asked for a refund on the current TV and will go somewhere else (maybe another JL store ?)

15. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a price match with Richer Sounds and Selfridges back in March. Got a refund direct to the credit card from them after discovering other people have lowered prices several days after ordering.

16. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    "arrogance was breathtaking"

I recently enquired about the new 42" Philips LCD at the JL Cheadle store - the salesperson had never heard of it-his lack of knowledge was only surpassed by his arrogance. Perhaps the hierachy of this organisation should be made aware of the attitude and inconsistincies of their staff. Their only claim to fame is the 5 year warranty-their prices are nothing to shout about.
    "Never Knowingly Undersold" = they should not be allowed to trade on the back of this
    quote-what is the real difference in buying on the internet and from them-they have their own internet website-do they quote the Never Knowingly Undersold on the net ?
    I bet they don't.
    NJ

17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    If you look on JL's site it states that their 'Never knowingly Undersold' promise does not aply to their online sales, plus their stores do not match prices online. However, if you find an online site with a shop they should really match them. Still, I guess it's difficult to match a company whose sales are 90% online, (as well as the 5 year guarentee for nothing). It seems unfair to base a whole company on one bad employee. Just that I remember how JL used to bend over backwards to give customers the highest quality service. It's just a shame you were unlucky to have had a bad experience with them. :)

18. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    JL have price matched panasonic viera from their list price of 3695 to 2779 including delivery and 5 year guarantee.

19. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Which JL store
    Who did they match ?
    NJ

20. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    High Wycombe. Gave them several names including a shop in Birmingham, whose name I cant remember. I used the list of stores in JL pricematch thread