1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Price Match Legal Case

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by diverse, Sep 8, 2005.

1. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to wait to get the money from JL before posting but the case is over!

We went to Court and they asked for the hearing to be adjourned becuase they only just noticed one of my letters detailing a load of PM companies.

I was going to go for all of my costs (which would not be a certainty) as they behaved unreasonably in my opinion.

MANY THANKS to all the AVF users who sent me copies of their PM's, they did not help JL budge but I believe the Judge would have looked upon them as I did, as proof that certain shops are acceptable by some but not all stores!

JL told me that out of the 8 shops asked to PM only ONE was acceptable, and the stores I gave included Works Dealers, and all were B&M not internet only!

They also said that of all 8 stores, NONE had stock when they called, which i found incredible that these all confirmed to me they had stock in store, I am sure JL would not have been believed in Court on that account!

I told them they would need to back this assertion up, i wanted witness statements from every store manager they called and for them to attend the hearing to be cross examined, LOL!

I will never shop at JL again, their CS stinks, the lies the stores CS woman made up in her statement about me, it varied so far from what happened that I asked them to show the CCTV footage which they refused to do!

Well, it's over, I WON, JL Suck! Never try and PM after paying up, you will never win with them, well that is my very bitter experience anyway, was it worth the 5 year warranty, NO, would i simply buy from the cheapest reputable dealer next time, YEP!

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I dont know the history of the case, what were you buying? How much was the difference from what you paid, to what your price match was??

3. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, PIO 505XDE, cost £5395, difference £1500+

4. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had a problem with JL too. They tried to charge me 10% of the cost of a plasma even tho I returned it within 10 days which is well within their 28 day money back guarantee. It took weeks for me to actually get all of my money back and I have to admit, I would never shop from them again. The 5 year warranty is a good incentive but wasn't worth the hassle for me.

Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end. It is a right pain in the ass when these purchases cause you so much grief !

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It seems a shame that you were let down and felt the need to take legal action against what is arguebly on of the better retailers out there, certainly I've always had outstanding levels of customer service from them in the past. I think John Lewis's achilles heal here is their lack of consistency across their branch network with stores acting autonomously in their own interests. Given that their Price Matching is a nationwide policy it seems to me that their HQ should take control and produce guidelines for it to be implemented correctly. It could be argued that their head office could head up a national undersales operation thus doing away with any regional variations.

However, the only downside of your action could be that the more people who take or threaten to take legal action may force JL to abandon their PM policy altogether which would be a shame.

6. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done. :thumbsup:

Large retailers often think that the small punter won't go the whole hog and take them to court - they, after all, have a much larger support network, legal teams etc. etc.

I'd like to think that this would make the JLP think about price matching but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

7. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi devirse,

Well done, was this through the small claims court?

8. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekkk...all sounds nasty...I hope the people that carry out the 5 year warranty aint part of the same company

9. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, yeah, praying the plasma doesn's need repairing!

Yep, small claims Court, a LOT of work and a LOT of Help from AVF members who went over and above the call of duty to help me (YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) :hiya:

I was going to hold out for all my costs but decided i had enough and i wanted to draw a line under the matter, shame JL didn't do that when i issued the summons or make a part 18 request for info but WEEKS of work later they want to settle!

I cannot say one good thing about JL, i was stunned at the lies they came up with about me in witness statements, i was expecting a good clean fight but was stunned at the tactics they used to try and win, at any cost, hence asking them to provide CCTV footage to back up their "version" of events.

I am trying to get over it, but happy to offer any assistance (if i can) to anyone else as i have been on the AVF's.

:thumbsup:

10. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    very surprising, because JLP have a high reputation as a retailer.
    If you post was about currys/comet/et al, I could understand it.

Mind you, I have always been very dubious of pm - though clearly lots of other folks on the forum have had success at JLP.