1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis price match - is this normal...?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Dan666, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I called my local John Lewis's today to see if they could price match the Sharp LC-32GA5E. They have it for £1295, but I've seen it at Sound And Vision Online (who have a retail outlet not too far away in Bolton) for £866.

The assistant took my details and asked for the model number of the TV - then she asked for the details of the other shop. She stopped me short as soon as I said the name of it, ststing that they "do not price match with that company". I thought this was strange and emphasised the fact that despite the 'online' in the name, this was indeed a high street shop. She insisted that they will not price match with them - she mentioned something about "their methods" and about them "haggling with customers to get the prices that low". So that was the end of that.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I dunno what her idea of haggling was, but I rang Sound And Vision Online and simply asked how much the set was and if they had it in stock, to which they replied "£866" and "we're taking delivery of 60 sets at the end of the week".

Do John Lewis operate some kind of blacklist, containing the details of retailers which will always knowingly undersell them? ;)

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    John Lewis will only price match with companies that have retail outlets on two conditions, firstly the item must be in stock and second the item must have a clearly ticketed regular price. They don't match against S&V because the shop itself doesn't show fixed prices for there products but merely "negotiate" a price with their customers. The John Lewis price matching conditions have been covered at great length on other threads, do a search for more details.