1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Plasma Repair

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marshy.dave, Dec 5, 2003.

1. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just placed a call with John Lewis to have an engineer booked to come and look at my Hitachi 42PD3000 plasma. They have asked me to ring Hitachi direct. I thought my contract was with John Lewis not Hitachi.

Has anyone any experience of this, and if so what did you do?

Thanks,

Marshy

2. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I haven't had any replies but after I thought I would just say what has happened this morning.

Logged the fault with JL, only to be told to ring hitachi. Rang Hitachi and was given an engineers number, rang him but only deals in vacum cleaners, rang hitachi back only to be given two other numbers who only deal in vacumn cleaners.

Currently on hold with JL and am gonna tell them to sort it

3. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats **** service, call JL and ask for a manager. Also keep a log of all phone conversations to all parties involved and follow up in writing with recorded delivery. Use their customer service policy, sale of goods act etc and really rub it in - best way to get maximum compensation!

Did you buy on credit card as they can threaten the retailer with a chargeback meaning you get a free plasma (albeit needing repair) if the case is strong enough. Also remind the credit card company that they are joint and severally liable with JL.

Let us know how it goes........

Cheers

S

4. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate,

Its currently back with JL. I rang there Nottingham branch and they are progressing it for me.

Its hard to descrobe my fault but when u look at the screen in the dark it almost looks like there are grey clouds scattered around the screen, so when a dark image is displayed it is different shades of black.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Dave, several JL customers have reported problems with their screens, and not had this hassle. Give it a bit longer and I'm sure one will reply and tell you what they did. You do seem to be having a rough ride, but the screens also seem to be more than averagely glitchy. Maybe a reliablitiy poll would be fun? Better leave the retailer out of it in case anyone gets litigous.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pannasonic repair al there plasma direct as in they come out with a flight case take it away and sort it, sharp do this with Aquos LCD (send a courier)
    much quicker to deal direct, do deal hitachi so dont know what their policy is, but very few places are equipped for repairs to plasmas, i hope hitachi didnt sub it out to Endeva though mate!!!

7. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after escalating my problem to the manager of the after sales team at JL I am please to say that the engineer is booked in for Thursday the 11th.

JL found the correct number and passed it onto me. A company called Yorkshire Multi Media based in Bradford.

I will let you all know how i get on when they come.

Thanks,

Marshy

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your experience is consistent with mine.
    When I spoke to JL they also put me on to Hitachi, and they in turn their service agent. I asked them to send an engineer to check the buzzing on my screen, but the problem cleared up before the engineer arrived. Yorkshire Multimedia still insisted on coming out though just to check it over despite my attempt to cancel.

Endeva used to be Hitachi's Service agent but have recently gone bust, which is why Yorkshire Multimedia now provide this service.

I would be very interested in knowing how you get on with this fault marshy.dave as I have what sounds like a similar problem with my Hitachi. There is a blurry shape in the centre of the screen that looks slightly lighter than the rest, It's only visible in low light conditions and isn't really visible when viewing anything other than a largely black screen. I wondered if it was screen burn, but I think not, as it doesn't look like a specific image and I've been quite careful to avoid anything which might cause it.

9. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had to pay £950 for a new power suppy when my 502 mxe broke down a few years ago.

10. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elvis, your problem sounds exactly like mine, when watching colourful bright images its not noticable as it can only really be seen on dark slow or still images.

however select av1 for instance with my video player off it is very noticable as the whole sceen is dark.

I will let you know what they say

11. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marshy.dave

I wonder if anyone else has this problem? Have you any idea what's caused it on your screen?

I'm wondering if the fault is inherent as I noticed it shortly after taking delivery, but as it doesn't really impede viewing, and the fault itself is quite difficult to articulate (or even reproduce in a brightly lit room) I haven't bothered complaining to JL/Hitachi about it. My wife can't see it for example, (couldn't hear the buzzing either - but that's another story) so it is something you have to really look for. The darker the ambient light the more visible it is, particularly when you first turn the set on and the screen is blank, or as you say when you flip across the AV inputs. During viewing it doesn't seem to be an issue, I watched LOTR:FOTR on the screen last week in a semi darkened room and even during the Moria scenes there was no sign of this fault.

12. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed my problem soon after taking delivery too but as you said wasn;t going to complain as it didn't cause a problem when viewing.

It has alwasy been on my mind so when I was in currys the other day i switched across the inputs and there was no sign of it on their plasma so I decided to log the fault.

13. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great minds think alike :)

I tried switching inputs on a display model as well, and kind of reached the same conclusion as you, but the lighting in the store was quite bright so I couldn't be sure.

I can't wait to find out what the engineer tells you and what JL/Hitachi do to fix it. I just hope you're not without your TV over christmas. If it's fixable then I think I'll be giving JL a call in the new year.

14. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad things are progressing Dave, ask for something towards your inconvenience if it does prove to be a fault.......;)

15. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I have the 32pd3000 and have tonight noticed these grey cloudlike shapes on a black screen in low light conditions also:(

It shall be interesting to see what the engineer makes of them dave.

Please keep us posted.

Adrenochrome.

16. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could this be a 'feature' of the Hitachi display, or Alis displays in general?

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not with ALIS, I'm very familiar with Fujitsu 42" alis, not noticed it on any of them. I lack the experience of PMA 400 to be able to comment there.

18. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a special bonus with all Hitachi sets then. :)

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just thinking that some form of satisfaction/problem survey would be a good idea. They did one for the AE100 in the LCD projector forum, we'd need one to cover all the popular plasmas, that'd sort out what are 'features' and what are 'faults'. How many dead pixels, channel changing probs, clouds, green speckles, they've all been reported here, not by any means all on Hitachis. The drawback of this is of course that many people, having bought, do not return till they have a fault to ask advice on, so we'd get a falsely pessimistic view of plasma reliability. Just how to word is my difficulty.

20. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an interesting idea MAW. Can you set that up on the forum?

I would agree that results will be skewed toward the negative as people are more inclined to respond when they have some bile to vent.

21. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the engineers have just left.

I guess you can take this two ways, the engineers that came (Yorkshire Multimedia) had only ever had to deal with 5 plasmas in the past, all buzzzing related. This means they are not very experienced but that could be because in general the plasma does not go wrong.

When i showed him the gray clouds the first thing he said was that in his opinion it would clear up if it was put in service mode and that they had appeared becuase the plasma was being run in as he called it.

So the plasma is currently in service mode and i have been asked to leave it in this till 4pm. I then have to ring them to see if it has been fixed, if not they will come back and take it away for testing.

I will get a replacement but it will only be a standard CRT.

When asked if i could have put it into service mode to save them coming out i was told that it could invalidate the warranty and that the plasma records when service mode was entered, hours of useage etc...

Interestingly enough when test mode cycles to the black screen it does look to be clearing.

I will let you know what happens

22. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the report marshy.dave, it sounds encouraging that it's starting to clear, Fingers crossed. If it does clear then it sounds like it's a fairly straight forward fix.

I suspect that the engineers lack of experience is down to the fact that YM have only been Hitachi's service agents for a few weeks now, rather than the fact that the screens rarely go wrong.

BTW, how do we get to the service menu, and does it do anything interesting? Bearing in mind warranty invalidation etc, it would still be interesting to know.

23. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the test mode they put my plasma into was done by unplugging the leads from the panel and simply pressing the test button at the back (i think)

24. eMonk

eMonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm... this feature is documented on page 7 of the user manual. Says nothing about invalidating your warranty.

Dunc.

25. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I should have RTFM :blush:

Doesn't say in the manual that it accesses a service mode though, just that it tests the screen. What kind of info/settings does it give you.

26. eMonk

eMonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC it just flashed up set of colours and things - don't remember an engineer's menu or anything.

27. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the test screens that have been running on my plasma have actually done sweet FA to resolve the problem. I have just rung Yorkshire Multimedia back and they are coming to take it away tomorrow. I am however dubious about this, I just have a feeling that if they take it, it will be the last i see of it for a long time.

Thoughts anyone

28. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reject it under the sale of goods act and ask for a brand new replacement........

Sunil

29. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who should i take the rejecting up with, John Lewis???

Also just phoned Yorkshire Mulimedia services back and they have no loan tv to give me.

30. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes your contract is with them under the sale of goods act

make sure everything is in writing so as to not jeopardise your position.

The more you let the engineers play with it, the less your chances of rejection.

Also involve the credit card company as they can help you (politely remind them that they are joint and severally liable)

the point of you buying from JL was warranty and customer service - nows the time to call the shots!

Cheers