John Lewis - never knowingly undersold !!

marksovereign

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else feel hacked off with the John Lewis debate and their attitude to pricing ? Basically if you want the 5 year guarantee they sit back let you do all the running around and then decide if they want to price match. There are 2 issues here -

Firstly I consider it wrong that you the customer should have to prove to John Lewis the price of a TV - it should be out making the market for itself by competitively pricing its products - we all appear to be a bit blinded by the lure of the 5 year guarantee. _ how many people have actually had a sensational deal out of JL and the 5 yr gyarantee , it seems many people/ posters compromise pure price to get the 5yr gtee. I may be wrong but in my experience if something is going to go wrong it will be way before 12 months Manufacturers warranty is up ! Also i've not really looked at what the 5 year guarantee covers. Is it as good as everyone makes out as in my experience there's no such thing as a free lunch. However you have also got to consider that JL is where you go to look at the new kit and theyve got to pay to heat light and stock their stores.

Secondly we're all trolling around get prices off other retailers to take back to JL to pricematch, How p*ssed off would you be if you were one of those other dealers who had cut costs to do the best deal only to lose it to JL. I know in my line of work to get a job you quote once and your best price not hang around and undercut other people. It just seems totally wrong to me and we're all pandering after them !Maybe we should adopt the attitude that you quote your price once and best - but yet again the 5 year Gtee clouds our judgement

I've been trying to decide what to buy for a while now, that in itself is bad enough to sort out, but then you've got to spend hours researching prices that JL may or may not Pricematch to that is what really irrates as theredoes appear to be no real formal policy and each store is different !

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks - personally I think its a bit of a con which when you look at the cost of the leisure time you put in to find the lowest prices really isnt worth the £100 or so you'll save by doing it,but I also recognise that JL has to cover its costs and make a profit too

Am I wrong ? I'd love to hear anyone elses reasoned debate

Must
resist
urge
to
post.

Must
resist.......

Ah, sod it!
Well said, although I wonder if my mini-rant in one of the Panny threads has given you food for thought?
If not, great minds and all that. If so, then it's good to see it made someone stop and think for five minutes.

I agree

I think trading standards should take them to task. Never knowingly undersold is a joke particularly when you find the JLP store 30 miles up the road is selling at a lower
price as they have a low price outlet e.g. ED in their backyard. They must KNOW about it!

I think they're great stores, really well run, great range of stuff & staff are always helpful.

But if price is your motive (and for me it often is), I don't see why anyone would bother even talking to them.

So in summary, I don't generally have a problem with them but that "never knowingly undersold" tagline is close to the line, if not over it.

I don't understand the issue with JL, they have a unique marketing method... if you don't like it shop elsewhere, no one is forcing you to take price matches to JL.

If price is all you worry about surely you buy it online anyway, where JL won't price match...

Unless I missed something I think you are getting irate over nothing :)

The other way you can look at it is this, they offer a package at a price, in the case of TV's etc. that package includes a 5 year warranty, a store you can walk into and demo various products and the chance to exchange something for something else if you are not happy with it. Agreed?
So why should they just match some internet company, plus give you all the extras??
I think you have to weigh up what you want, cheap and cheerful or a complete package, if you do want the 5yr guaruntee and the ability to change product etc. then I think you should pay a little more, I think we are talking about £50-100 in the case of the PX70, so 5-10% extra, for an extra 4 years warranty I don't think that is too bad at all.

This forum is full of wingers, they all want something for nothing, and I bet none of those that moan actually own a business themselves??

The other way you can look at it is this, they offer a package at a price, in the case of TV's etc. that package includes a 5 year warranty, a store you can walk into and demo various products and the chance to exchange something for something else if you are not happy with it. Agreed?
So why should they just match some internet company, plus give you all the extras??
I think you have to weigh up what you want, cheap and cheerful or a complete package, if you do want the 5yr guaruntee and the ability to change product etc. then I think you should pay a little more, I think we are talking about £50-100 in the case of the PX70, so 5-10% extra, for an extra 4 years warranty I don't think that is too bad at all.

This forum is full of wingers, they all want something for nothing, and I bet none of those that moan actually own a business themselves??

Spot-on. They're more expensive because of the cost of premises, staff etc. and the fact that, at the end of the day, most of John Lewis' target audience wouldn't even consider using a pricematch. How on Earth anyone can deign to moan about their pricing and how hard it is for them to shop around and then get them to match it when it has a 5-year guarentee! Absolutely bonkers.

I don't understand the issue with JL, they have a unique marketing method... if you don't like it shop elsewhere, no one is forcing you to take price matches to JL.

If price is all you worry about surely you buy it online anyway, where JL won't price match...

Unless I missed something I think you are getting irate over nothing :)

I think you're missing my point here - I'm not that bothered about price, I wont pay over the odds but what i do find strange is the attitude of some people trying to pricematch and how worked up and stressed out they get over trying to get the deal - I really couldnt be bothered putting hours in to saving a couple of hundered quid and getting totally stressed out when it doesnt happen. What I don'tlike is the business model that you have to prove to JL what the lowest price is and then they decide if its within their parameters - Its almost restrictive trade governed by that panacea - the 5 year guarantee ! Great marketing ploy but cue for much human misery most of it self inflicted!!!

Another great point of view and one I can't disagree with, the trouble is there are many who want the full package for cheap and cheerful money and whinge when they dont get it. What I cant be doing with is people constantly whingeing about not getting a deal because they wont match Internet prices when the JL policy clearly stipulates the parameters

I really couldnt be bothered putting hours in to saving a couple of hundered quid and getting totally stressed out when it doesnt happen.

maybe that kind of money actually means something to a lot of people!!!!!
just my tuppenceworth.

I wasn't aiming my previous comment at you mate, sorry if it sounded like that, but I really wasn't. I totally understand what you were saying and I agree, I would rather pay what I pay and be happy.

But there are so many people on here who only seem to moan, moan that something is expensive, then moan when the price is reduced, then they moan that the shop they have bought it from won't pay for return shipping when they no longer like the product etc. etc. etc.

John Lewis laugh at the people on this forum, I am not joking, as do alot of the retailers/installers in this game, when you mention avforums the reseller on the end of the phone will give out a sigh of desperation, that I promise you.

Everyone likes to get a good deal, but just getting the best price isn't everything!!

maybe that kind of money actually means something to a lot of people!!!!!
just my tuppenceworth.

Yeah maybe it does, but they don't need to moan like mad when they don't get exactly what they want.
If you want to get the TV at the price the box shifters are doing it for, buy from the box shifter, he is doing it at that price to try and compete, if people don't support his business he will no longer be around, we will only be left with John Lewis and the Panasonic store, and do you think you will see any type of discount on products then? :suicide:

John Lewis laugh at the people on this forum, I am not joking, as do alot of the retailers/installers in this game, when you mention avforums the reseller on the end of the phone will give out a sigh of desperation, that I promise you.

To be honest they could laugh and sigh all they want if it would save me a couple of hundred quid and bag me a 5 yr warranty. I really could care what they think;)

I wasn't aiming my previous comment at you mate, sorry if it sounded like that, but I really wasn't. I totally understand what you were saying and I agree, I would rather pay what I pay and be happy.

But there are so many people on here who only seem to moan, moan that something is expensive, then moan when the price is reduced, then they moan that the shop they have bought it from won't pay for return shipping when they no longer like the product etc. etc. etc.

Everyone likes to get a good deal, but just getting the best price isn't everything!!

Absolutely spot on !

Yeah maybe it does, but they don't need to moan like mad when they don't get exactly what they want.
If you want to get the TV at the price the box shifters are doing it for, buy from the box shifter, he is doing it at that price to try and compete, if people don't support his business he will no longer be around, we will only be left with John Lewis and the Panasonic store, and do you think you will see any type of discount on products then? :suicide:

to be honest i see your point and take them onboard. I don't have too much sympathy for the moaners myself, just get on with it. I do think people are entitled to source out the best deal though, be it from john lewis or somebody else.

Yes I know it does and im not trying to belittle that, I'm just asking at what cost do you achieve it ?

well in my case i emailed one store and got a price match straight away, so it took me about 5 minutes of my time. I see what your getting at though as some people don't seem to have had much luck. Then again if they think the saving is significant enough to pursue good on them if they get what they are after.

I started this thread because I was absolutely sick of reading about how JL hadnt marched this and hadnt done that and who was waiting for what to happen where and wondered if it was just me

I know a couple of hundred quid is a lot of money to some people - but they seem to want to make a hobby out of it .
If you want the 5 year Gtee pay for it , dont whinge about it

4 years and 5 months ago one of the girls who works for me needed a new TV, I talked them into getting it from John Lewis, it was a Sony 32" and it was £1250, nearly £100 more than they could get it online, but I said the 5 year warranty and being able to take it back if they didn't like it (they weren't sure if they wanted a 32") had to be worth teh extra?

3 weeks ago it went wrong, when they got back from holiday on Monday they had a letter waiting saying that the TV was not worth repairing so they had £1249 to spend in the JL TV department, so they are getting a PX70 tomorrow. I bet they are well chuffed they spent the extra £100 now.

well in my case i emailed one store and got a price match straight away, so it took me about 5 minutes of my time. I see what your getting at though as some people don't seem to have had much luck. Then again if they think the saving is significant enough to pursue good on them if they get what they are after.

Good on you , thats how it should be done, not starting group actions !

4 years and 5 months ago one of the girls who works for me needed a new TV, I talked them into getting it from John Lewis, it was a Sony 32" and it was £1250, nearly £100 more than they could get it online, but I said the 5 year warranty and being able to take it back if they didn't like it (they weren't sure if they wanted a 32") had to be worth teh extra?

3 weeks ago it went wrong, when they got back from holiday on Monday they had a letter waiting saying that the TV was not worth repairing so they had £1249 to spend in the JL TV department, so they are getting a PX70 tomorrow. I bet they are well chuffed they spent the extra £100 now.

Now thats the benefit of 5 year Insurance ! Bur i wonder how often it happens

I started this thread because I was absolutely sick of reading about how JL hadnt marched this and hadnt done that and who was waiting for what to happen where and wondered if it was just me

I know a couple of hundred quid is a lot of money to some people - but they seem to want to make a hobby out of it .
If you want the 5 year Gtee pay for it , dont whinge about it

this is always going to happen i guess, as theres always going to be someone that gets the rough end of the stick. Maybe you should just stay out of the john lewis pricematch thread although i must admit the JL talk is spreading into other threads.

to be honest i see your point and take them onboard. I don't have too much sympathy for the moaners myself, just get on with it. I do think people are entitled to source out the best deal though, be it from john lewis or somebody else.

Absolutely, but I see alot of posts saying, I live in Glasgow and I can't get JL in Peterborough to match a local store and then ship it up to me or call the Glasgow store and get them to do it at that price too. Why should they?? Originally the policy said something along the lines of, We try to keep an eye on local competitors pices, if you see somewhere local doing it cheaper we will beat that price. But what people are asking now is just getting a bit silly. :D

this is always going to happen i guess, as theres always going to be someone that gets the rough end of the stick. Maybe you should just stay out of the john lewis pricematch thread although i must admit the JL talk is spreading into other threads.

You hit the nail on the head - the JL thing is getting everywhere and Id like to read about the kit rather than who had what rejected and why

Absolutely, but I see alot of posts saying, I live in Glasgow and I can't get JL in Peterborough to match a local store and then ship it up to me or call the Glasgow store and get them to do it at that price too. Why should they?? Originally the policy said something along the lines of, We try to keep an eye on local competitors pices, if you see somewhere local doing it cheaper we will beat that price. But what people are asking now is just getting a bit silly. :D

Thats how I thought it worked too, and then people are whingeing about having pay carriage charges !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom