1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis / HoF Price Match Question?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kounkit, Mar 1, 2002.

1. kounkit

kounkit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

Has anyone managed to get John Lewis or House of Fraser to price match anyone?
    I'm looking for a Toshiba 32ZP18P and the best price i've seen on the net is £1129 from AV Shop Direct and Robert Whyte Ltd (both in glasgow and both have the same address) and was hoping to get JL or HoF to match there prices. As I would rather buy from the larger stores and get the 5 year warrenty from them.

Anyone have experience of ordering from them? are they dodgy/reliable?

Cheers,

Kit

2. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I got John Lewis to price match the 36ZP18 TV from Robert Whyte for £1514. Took them about a day but they were quite prepared to match the price. I have no doubt they would also match the cheaper 32ZP18

They come recommended by many people for a good reason

Jimbob

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis claim, 'never knowingly undersold', but they have stopped price matching Internet prices!! So they DO know they are being undersold and imho they are defying the trade-description act. However they do provide a good service and the said 5 year guarantee!

4. yrrab

yrrab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got John Lewis at Milton Keynes to price match a 32ZP18 for £1145 at Premier A/V centre www.premieravcentre.co.uk in Birmingham.
    I didn't go for it in the end but good luck.:rolleyes:

5. stephenorn

stephenorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 36ZP18P from John Lewis and they also matched Robert Whyte of Glasgow - something like £1,517 inc delivery. JL also give you a 5 year free extended warranty and their usual great after sales service. Delivery was on time and efficient and so far none of the problems other people report with the set!! Interestingly enough different branches of JL have different prices. The 32ZP18P was about £1200 in Watford and £1500 in Brent Cross!!

6. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got HoF Central London to pirce match HiSpek.com (essex based)

32zp18 - £1250 - delivered, installed, and a 5yr warrenty

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    Even though JL don't match internet prices, there are still a bunch of 'shops' which have an internet front end AND a shop..

Whilst JL won't match the 'internet price', they are more than happy to match the 'shop' price (which is the same)

2 colleagues have recently gone to JL advising them that they travel the country and are going to buy the TV from some of these 'shops' when they are on their travels.. JL were more than happy to price match.

Whilst they won't match Internet prices, there are loads of companies who are just as cheat that they will match.

For example, my boss bought the 36" Toshiba for £1520.

8. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    JL will match prices quoted on the net provided the site is a regular shop & not just an on-line catalouge,you olso get the free 5 year gaurante.I price matched them with Sound & Vision in Bolton & I live in Aberdeen, the local JL there did the business for me 32zp18p well pleased. :)

9. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got HoF in Bath to price match the 32ZP18 and 36ZP18 for me - BUT they say they will only offer the warranty like-for-like and as such won't give me the 5 year warranty!!

I see others here have been given the 5 year with no troubles. I have asked to speak to the dep manager (not in until Weds). Anyone offer any advice in the negotiations?

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any one got the John Lewis and hof telephone numbers, and URLS,s

11. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    partyanimal,

a large department store from each company can be found on oxford st, london. they are available thru 192 services using the that address.

12. Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got John Lewis in Cheadle to price match both Sound & Vision in Bolton (TV), and Electro Centre in Bham (dvd player). They didn't even go and check the price - just said ok when I told them how much. got full 5 yr guarantee too (2 yr for dvd player). I have had only good experiences with jl - I recently phoned up about a minor problem with my tv and they were ordering a replacement for me before I even finished telling them the problem.

13. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked with JL and they still offer their 5yr warranty with a price match. I then used this barter with HoF and they were then happy to do the same (they see JL as their main competitor). So I now have a price match at HoF on my Tosh 32ZP18 (decided against the 36" in the end) with 5 yr warranty and they will deliver at a designated day/time whereas JL could only do Thursdays (no specific time) in my area. Nice!

14. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Jason,

How much are you getting it for, please? And who did you price match against?

Cheers.

15. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit complicated. I originally went to JL just over 2 weeks ago. They had the 32ZP18 in the store for £1175 (w/o needing a price match!). I then got HoF to price match that a few days later. I've now gone back to JL to also get a price match for the 36ZP18 (I was undecided on 32" or 36") and I found out that they have put the price of the 32ZP18 up to £1569!! Anyway I didn't tell HoF this and they don't seem to be bothered about re-checking! So I'm getting the 32" for £1175.

Doesn't matter anyway cause I would only get them to do a new match against www.robertsons-online.co.uk (they also have stores in/around Glasgow and so are valid for the price match):

32ZP18 £1165 inc VAT & Del
    36ZP18 £1460 inc VAT & Del

These are the best all inclusive prices I can find (but for £10 difference I just stuck with my original JL match).

Use these - I've tried it with HoF with success - you just need to say to them that JL will also match it and throw in their 5yr warranty as well otherwise HoF won't give you the extra warranty.