John Lewis great customer service

n1ghtwish

I am in dispute with John Lewis at the moment about my 77CX but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

My 1st 77CX was returned due to really awful banding, 2nd one due to dead pixels all over the screen.

I received my 3rd 77CX in early December, and within 30 days (early Jan) I contacted John Lewis over Whatsapp to advise that there was some banding on the TV. I said it wasn't absolutely terrible and I'd accept a small discount on the price of the TV instead of returning/exchanging as I had done before. It was clear they couldn't make a 77CX that was without some kind of issue.

They said they could not partially discount it, I had in mind something like 10%, and would only refund or exchange it. As lockdown was kicking off and I live alone, I said can I go away and consider the options, but also mentioned I could not really sort it easily as I live alone and I can't take apart/put together a TV of that size by myself.

They said it was fine, and to contact them when I was ready. A bit open ended, but I assumed they weren't in a hurry based on the way they said thing. Transcript of that chat is here:

I contacted them again today, and they are now saying because I didn't come back to them within 30 days of the previous chat they can't and won't do anything further in regards to exchanging or refunding it. I pointed out that the previous chat agent didn't mention any deadlines and it's unfair to hold me to a deadline if there was one but I wasn't made aware of it. It's been about 2 months since that chat took place above.

They said that they've checked with their senior manager and no further action is possible and fobbed me off.

Based on the chat above and the outcome, I am very disappointed, but I will carry on the fight out of principal. Has anyone had bad experiences with John Lewis like this, and if so how was it solved?

Am I being unreasonable? It's never ideal requesting several replacements but my first two 77CX's were so bad I definitely couldn't live with them, dead pixels is an instant replacement in my view.

Update - turned from shoddy to great! John Lewis great customer service

Last edited:

stranger

From what you have said, it seems like you did in fact accept the tv, and that it is the discount that is in dispute.
Imo you were very slow to react in this case and you let the chance slip away.

n1ghtwish

Yes I could have been faster at going back to them certainly, but they also said in the chat to come back to them when I was ready to make a decision, rather than telling me how long they expected me to take to do so. That is my sticking point. If they had said you have X days then it would have been on me to meet that expectation.

The main reason for the delay was the start of the new lockdown, and in the event of a refund or a replacement I would have been unable to take apart/setup a new TV by myself. Said as much to them also.

I would have been happy to accept the TV on the basis of a small discount, but they seemed unwilling to entertain it.

I think if someone says something like they did, then 2 months isn't insanely long of a delay, if I had returned to them 6 months or more later then I could see their point, but it's not like anything has really materially changed in 2 months.

sprinta

What is it that you are now trying to achieve? They have rejected a partial discount so the only option now, I would have thought, is repair or possible replacement if the unit is agreed to be faulty?

If it is faulty then JL have to repair or replace it, but it may be considered that you have accepted the TV so repair now may be the only option?

n1ghtwish

My ideal outcome is they agree the small discount as a one-off/gesture of goodwill, but otherwise I feel like I have paid full price for something with a flaw and it's not a cheap product.

If the chap had said come back to us within X timeframe then I think it would be fair enough, the fact they didn't (actually in some ways, the opposite was said, I read it as take as long as you want!) is my issue here.

Apparently it's been escalated somewhere within JL, so I'll have to see what they say, I can update back here if there is a result.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
If it's faulty they will still have to repair or replace it.

As far as exchange or refund is concerned if you have overshot the 30 day period they are no longer obliged to offer you any of that. In the context of your conversation with them, you was not in a hurry and they were fine to let you think over it. A reasonable length of time to get back to them would have been no more than a few days but in anycase none of that overrides the 30 day rule.

n1ghtwish

I can definitely accept that my understanding was probably skewed, but I do think if they have a deadline of some kind they should say it, that way it's clear to them and to me, and I can work within their boundaries.

I'll see if I get any joy out of my complaint first, but if not I will look at the CEO email, don't want to jump to that so soon.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Not sure what you are trying to achieve but I don't think they are acting unreasonably.

If your 3rd TV was unsatisfactory then you should really have just returned it as you did the previous two. It doesn't stand to reason to hold JL accountable and request or try to negotiate a discount. You had 30 days to return it for another one and you still have the option of repair or replace if unrepairable.

All the best.

fathergll

I think if someone says something like they did, then 2 months isn't insanely long of a delay, if I had returned to them 6 months or more later then I could see their point, but it's not like anything has really materially changed in 2 months.

It's unreasonable to assume that they would triple the standard return policy length based off that chat especially on a working TV that is par for the course for a 2020 77" LG OLED.

JL isn't giving much sympathy because they know you are treating this like a free rental. As others stated you should have contacted them back in January.

From what you have said, it seems like you did in fact accept the tv, and that it is the discount that is in dispute.
Imo you were very slow to react in this case and you let the chance slip away.
Have to agree with this. No point in dithering around, either you want the TV or you don't - 30 days is way long enough to make a decision on that. Also can't understand what a partial discount would achieve, it's not going to improve the banding.

If you go to the CEO (who is Sharon White by the way, not the guy mentioned in an earlier post) , they may make a gesture but you are on thin ground to be honest.

n1ghtwish

Appreciate the opinions thanks guys, I will update again here if anything changes, it's not the total end of the world if it doesn't.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Appreciate the opinions thanks guys, I will update again here if anything changes, it's not the total end of the world if it doesn't.

It's not opinions, it's based on their T&C's which you were and are clearly aware of. There is nothing in your lucid whatsapp convo to suggest otherwise either.

The reading from what you have posted is you are trying to actually negotiate a discount after having accepted the TV. If the TV was/is not to your liking you had 30 days to return it as you did the previous 2.

The option you have now is to have it repaired or assessed to see if it is deemed as faulty/acceptable or not. I can't see where JL have acted unreasonably here at all up until now and nor do they appear to be acting unreasonable. Those options are still open to you.

What is coming across strange is why you feel you can or are in a position to negotiate a discount at this stage ? Why on earth would JL or anyone do that ? If that was the case then every customer purchasing any item whatsoever would have the right to go back to any retailer after 2/3 months and start demanding and re-negotiating a discount based on an entirely unsubstantiated claim. That's not realistically going to happen as there is no basis for that type of claim whatsoever.

Sorry, but your position is coming across as nothing other than buyers remorse.......

All the best.

Last edited:

n1ghtwish

Sorry not really interested in debating back and forth here, I will take on board what people have said.

immy

Novice Member
You should have sent it back rather than try haggle for a discount post purchase. Poor form on your part. The cost of doing business is already tough in this climate.

Buyers requesting discounts/refunds months after (and outside of T&C's) just pushes more companies to the brink.

Return it to get it repaired/replaced. Its upto JL as to which they do.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I have my OLED from John Lewis too, tbh your title of this thread did make me nervous at the prospect of needing to deal with JL in the future.

However I can see you have had 3 replacements from them, seemingly all arranged rather painlessly. I think that puts JL in a rather positive light.

I can understand your frustration if you are not wholly satisfied with your purchase, but in such circumstances you really need to be more clear with your expectations from the retailer.

I suppose in hindsight you could have thought about it, as you said, but done so within a few days and got back to them in a timely manner. It’s natural for them to assume that no news is good news, and they would have expected you are satisfied. You obviously have a 5 year warranty and have the flexibility to pursue an inspection and repair within this timeframe.

5to1

From what you've said they've been pretty damn good as others have said. I'd take that on board if you want to continue the argument with them.

Moreover, looking at it from their perspective, acquiescing to customers who request partial refunds leads to potential Moral Hazard. If a ~£3k TV is not fit for purpose then most people would return it. As a business you'd have to question the motives of someone that comes back saying give me 10% off and i'll keep it. You're still out the best part of £3k.

Sometimes retailers do offer a discount themselves to persuade you to keep the product. But the customer suggesting that is always going to ring alarm bells.

wwwebber

Clearly you dont want to debate it as you've realised that you're wrong. Accusing a respected and struggling retailer of shoddy customer service is just not on here - they've done more than enough to try and keep you happy.

n1ghtwish

I have an update.

After speaking to their upper level care team about it, who were helpful I might add, and after speaking to a human about it I have no issue in saying that it's a 360 degree turn around from my previous experience.

My options are:
  1. Full refund
  2. Replace once more time but they won't replace again after that
  3. Keep it as is
As I mentioned before my problem wasn't that they wouldn't discount it, but that they said "yeah come back whenever" but that was a time constrained offer and I was not informed of the time constraints. That's been sorted now with the above.

I probably won't do 2. as I actually don't want to replace them over and over, it's a hassle. Which leaves 1. and 3. I need to decide which one by Monday.

I have my OLED from John Lewis too, tbh your title of this thread did make me nervous at the prospect of needing to deal with JL in the future.

However I can see you have had 3 replacements from them, seemingly all arranged rather painlessly. I think that puts JL in a rather positive light.

I can understand your frustration if you are not wholly satisfied with your purchase, but in such circumstances you really need to be more clear with your expectations from the retailer.

I suppose in hindsight you could have thought about it, as you said, but done so within a few days and got back to them in a timely manner. It’s natural for them to assume that no news is good news, and they would have expected you are satisfied. You obviously have a 5 year warranty and have the flexibility to pursue an inspection and repair within this timeframe.

Yes, very true, I'm sure you'll be fine using them, just make sure to sort any issues out within the 30 days of receipt.

From what you've said they've been pretty damn good as others have said. I'd take that on board if you want to continue the argument with them.

Moreover, looking at it from their perspective, acquiescing to customers who request partial refunds leads to potential Moral Hazard. If a ~£3k TV is not fit for purpose then most people would return it. As a business you'd have to question the motives of someone that comes back saying give me 10% off and i'll keep it. You're still out the best part of £3k.

Sometimes retailers do offer a discount themselves to persuade you to keep the product. But the customer suggesting that is always going to ring alarm bells.

There were reasons I didn't just want to return it, but I haven't gone into the details here because this post would just get a lot more complicated and it doesn't really change much.

Suffice to say I could see why my request would be put into that light, although I did make it with the best of intentions (putting the problem to bed and no further swaps/refunds required).

Clearly you dont want to debate it as you've realised that you're wrong. Accusing a respected and struggling retailer of shoddy customer service is just not on here - they've done more than enough to try and keep you happy.

I have honestly taken on board what everyone has said, my remarks about not wanting to go back and forth were simply because it was a waste of effort to do so here, for you and for me.

I have an update.

After speaking to their upper level care team about it, who were helpful I might add, and after speaking to a human about it I have no issue in saying that it's a 360 degree turn around from my previous experience.

My options are:
  1. Full refund
  2. Replace once more time but they won't replace again after that
  3. Keep it as is
As I mentioned before my problem wasn't that they wouldn't discount it, but that they said "yeah come back whenever" but that was a time constrained offer and I was not informed of the time constraints. That's been sorted now with the above.

I probably won't do 2. as I actually don't want to replace them over and over, it's a hassle. Which leaves 1. and 3. I need to decide which one by Monday.

Yes, very true, I'm sure you'll be fine using them, just make sure to sort any issues out within the 30 days of receipt.

There were reasons I didn't just want to return it, but I haven't gone into the details here because this post would just get a lot more complicated and it doesn't really change much.

Suffice to say I could see why my request would be put into that light, although I did make it with the best of intentions (putting the problem to bed and no further swaps/refunds required).

I have honestly taken on board what everyone has said, my remarks about not wanting to go back and forth were simply because it was a waste of effort to do so here, for you and for me.
Well it sounds like JL have gone above and beyond, that is a more than fair offer. Make sure you don't let it slip past Monday to make a decision though!

n1ghtwish

Well it sounds like JL have gone above and beyond, that is a more than fair offer. Make sure you don't let it slip past Monday to make a decision though!

Don't worry the chap is calling me back Monday I said I'd have the decision by then.

mikej

That's a good result. The LG panel lottery is one of the reasons I bought a Panasonic. I'm not saying all Panasonic OLEDs are perfect, but there seems to be a much higher percentage of LG OLED owners with panel issues - at least that's the impression I get from this forum.

Presumably you won't be risking yet another LG so what are your other options for 77" ? It's a shame that Panasonic don't make OLEDs bigger than 65".

Last edited:

n1ghtwish

That's a good result. The LG panel lottery is one of the reasons I bought a Panasonic. I'm not saying all Panasonic OLEDs are perfect, but there seems to be a much higher percentage of LG OLED owners with panel issues - at least that's the impression I get from this forum.

Presumably you won't be risking yet another LG so what are your other options for 77" ? It's a shame that Panasonic don't make OLEDs bigger than 65".

Not sure on release date yet or rrp but the Sony a90j could be an option when it shows up? Haven't really looked into the new models too much. I've only ever had LG ones but from what I've seen I think you're right, Sony do seem to have better qc.

Edit - to show just how much I haven't looked at things, there isn't a 77" A90J, only 83" or 65".

65" (too small) is £3,499
83" (too large - 77" barely fits) is £6,999

I'd guess if there was a 77" it would have been somewhere between the two and around £5K or so, I think that could have worked.

The only 77" ones are the LG ones? If the G1 launches at an OK price I could try it, and hope they put more qc into the panels on the more expensive model. I don't really see better alternatives but open to opinions on that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 8th December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Cabasse adds Apple AirPlay to Pearl Collection speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Vestel launches TV remote app for 50 TV brands
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Velodyne shipping new MicroVee X compact subwoofer in UK