John Lewis - Good Deal

S

scooter1975

Hi all,
I have been looking for a 32" CRT for the last few months, and after alot of research and helpful info from this site, decided on the panny 32 PD50.

JL was wanting £1299 for it :eek: , whilst the internet stores were all about £700-£800.

I read alot of threads about the JL pricematch, and decided to give it a go !!! After alot of attempts with different stores who knocked me back saying that they did not pricematch with internet stores, today I got an e-mail from one of the stores saying that they will pricematch the 32PD50 for £695 incl. delivery and a cracking JL warranty of 5 Yrs. :clap:
Sounds like a good deal to me... was wondering what you guys think ???

Should I go for it ??? :)
Appreciate any advice...

I am also after this TV. I saw it for £600 with a free DVD player the other day at Unbeatable... have emailed them countless times because it disapeared off there site. They said they could do me a specail order. I emailed em back saying would that be the package deal or just the TV. They replyed saying they are waiting for stock from there supplyers and the deal is now finished. So I am going to wait untill they get some in stock.
btw: what TVs better the PD30 or PD50, because What Hi-Fi have the PD30 listed to be £1100 (or more) and the PD50 for £900. I was always thinking that the higher up you go the newer the model... right?

I'd say that was a very good deal. The cheapest I've seen this tv is on digitaldirect for £640+delivery. Out of interest, which store did they price match against? Would be interested in buying one from JL myself

Scooter1975,

Well done. :smashin:

As I've said countless times, keep going and you'll find someone at JL who will pricematch against all the odds.

Meeko,

Don't be surprised if you go to the same store (or even the same person) as Scooter1975, and have no joy.

Each application is considered seperately and past matches seem to count for nothing.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a go!

Good luck. :)

Ive got the same question as Meeko....

I was thinking of going for this TV aswell...and if I could get it from John Lewis for less than £700 plus 5 years warranty and the excellent service that JL seem to offer in that respect then mores the better....

...so yeah Scooter can you let us know which JL you brought this from and which store they accepted the price match from?

Cheers :smashin:

Hi guys,
I got the Bluewater store to pricematch with Digital-Point.co.uk, since they also have a store.

They said that they had sent JL people in to the store and it was on display at the price quoted, so that they would pricematch it.

I stay in Scotland, and whilst I was out today, the woman from JL undersales at Bluewater called and my girlfriend answered. The woman said that there were prepared to pricematch, but I would have to take in a letter that they send out to me and I can only purchase it at the Bluewater store..

Does anyone know what the pricematch policy is ?? Can I get a local JL in Scotland to pricematch the bluewater store.... The other thing I was thinking about was just to pay for it over the phone with a credit card and get them to deliver it....

What about if I have any problems with it..!! Surely I will be able to deal with it thru my local store..

Its a bit of a drive from Scotland down to Bluewater... but if i have to do it the I will.. especially when I am saving about £600

Any help would be appreciated...

Can anyone help me with the above questions ??

Help would be appreciated, before I order..

Thanks

Scooter.....did you order in the end...and did you have to go and pick it up?

Jimbono, I eventually phoned the woman in the undersales that i was dealing with, after she sent me a few e-mails saying to get in touch. She was really helpful, they sold me the set for £695 which included the famous 5 yr JL guarantee. They transfered it from the Bluewater store up to my local store, and they should be delivering it tomorrow.

I paid for it by Credit card over the phone, and i received the receipt in the post on Saturday. The in-price store was £1195 and I managed to get it for £695, so a cool saving of £500...

Hopefully all will go well with the delivery, and I will let you know how it all goes..

I am needing a nice new HDD/DVD Recorder to go along with it now.

I was looking at the Panasonic EH50 which seems to be getting a half decent review. I am in a dilemma as to whether I need a muti-region machine, or just to buy it from JL as well (£399). They are giving you a 2 yr warranty with it also.

I see from some threads that Panasonic are releasing a EH60 with a digy tuner later on in the year, but I don't want my nice new 32" TV sitting all that time alone..lol

Any other suggestions for a good HDD /DVD recorder ????

scooter1975 said:
Hopefully all will go well with the delivery, and I will let you know how it all goes..

My PD30 was delivered at the promised time (literally to the minute!) from Bluewater, which is about 40 miles away from me.

They even offered to unpack it, although that wasn't part of the deal.

JL really are second to none for Customer Service. :smashin:

So Scooter....what do you think of the TV?

Oh...and did you get my PM? I was just wanting to ask you a couple of things about how you price matched with JL :confused:

Ta

Hi Jimbono,

Yea got the TV delivered free of charge from my local JL store.
Got it unpacked, stand built up and it looks crackin in the front room.. :D

I went out a few days later and bought the Panny EH50 HDD / DVD again from JL (2 yr warranty with their DVD players)

Got some good scart leads and hooked it all together..
Picture is great thru the sky digibox, but it ain't so good going thru the DVD for some reason...

Maybe its got something to do with the settings or the way that I have it wired up.. I ain't very up to speed with all that...

If anybody has any tips on hook ups of the PD50, Sky, EH50, & a PS-2 it would be appreciated..

The TV is very good though, ain't had much time to play with it or the DVD recorder yet, as been flat out at work at the min.. :(

Hopefully get some time this week...

Does anyone have recommendations on settings & setup...

Have you managed to get a pricematch yet jimbono..?
Good luck if you are trying !!
No I did not get your PM ???

Cheers for the update again Scooter.....

....I'm still in the process of convincing "her indoors" that we need a new telly....the old TV (a Bush 4:3 32") which I brought from Aldi for £200 about 10 years ago it feels, looked like it was gonna die a couple of weeks ago (picture kept going wonky from one side)....but it seems to have kicked back into life now :(

Think Im gonna have to go for the spilt glass of water accident :devil:

You sure you didnt get my PM....look under your "Welcome, Scooter1975" at the top right of the screen.

Cheers again.

Hi guys,

I finally managed to get JL Watford to price match a Sony 32" CRT (with Freeview) for £250 less than the instore price of £850, and get their renound 5-yr warranty. I too had difficulty getting a price match from any of the London and South-East JL stores. They refused to price match a store named Lasyl Limited in West London, claiming stock availability, delivery area restrictions, shelf-edge pricing variations etc etc as excuses. Finally a woman in the Watford store called me and said they'd agrees to the price match of £600, but they would charge £50 delivery since I lived outside their 30 mile radius. My response was to arrange for my mates white van (loadsa fun) to be free so we could collect the huge TV (and it is huge, looks stunning in black and silver casing)!

After spending the last 2 weeks trying to get JL stores to price match the likes of RGB, S+V, WAV, Total-digital etc it finally paid off and i saved myeslf £250. I think I'll go get myself a decent DVD recorder with the cash I've saved.

Well done, mistrh01. :clap:

A perfect example of "Don't let the bustards grind you down!" :smashin:

Happy viewing! :thumbsup:

Scooter......did you find the ideal settings for your PD50?

If so could you publish them here....ie. for Sky, DVD and normal telly?

So what do you think of the TV now you've had it for a couiple of weeks?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Scoot – So I take it that JL will price match a shop even if it’s not local to them?

lfgj,

Look through the Forum and you'll see it depends entirely who you speak to at JL. :lesson:

Some people will allow a Pricematch nationwide, others insist it must be local. :devil:

The same person will say one thing today and something else tomorrow. :eek:

I'm afraid it's all part of the game! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom