John Lewis - Does their warranty cover accidental damage?

ash

Well-known Member
I read the T&Cs on the JL website, and no mention of it, just says they won't repair damage done on purpose.
Can anyone tell me, cheers.

And mods, I posted here because a lot of JL Pricematching goes on here in the plasma forum, and there will be a lot more people in the know here than other forums, please leave it here for sometime till I get an answer :thumbsup:
 

superbike999

Active Member
Second para of terms says accidental damage IS covered, (warranty is subject to some exclusions listed on web site)

QUOTE
"Guarantees
We always honour the manufacturer's guarantee period where offered; these are usually one year unless otherwise stated. Please see individual product pages for details.
In addition to the first year manufacturer’s guarantee we provide a free second year service guarantee on large electrical appliances, computers, non-portable hi-fi equipment, DVD and VHS players/recorders and camcorders.
This includes accidental damage cover on large electrical appliances only and, where appropriate, frozen food loss insurance, subject to certain terms and conditions listed below.

(If you have purchased a television, your service guarantee is automatically 5 years, or 3 years for a John Lewis large electrical appliance. Both are also subject to the following.)"

Dave
 

superbike999

Active Member
ashmufc said:
I don't think that's TVs because later on it says large electrical gets 3 years, or maybe I'm just thinking too much :D
The way I read it is that you can't get a much larger electrical applicance than a plasma and the television guarantee is specified as 5 years to differentiate from the normal 3 years. The section mentions non portable hi-fi etc. There is a seperate section for extended warrantys which you can purchase from them & it uses the term "Large Domestic Appliances" and it defines them as freezers, washers etc.

The wording is somewhat confusing though, I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to bite the bullet and ask them.

Dave
 
A

alscds

Guest
the tv is not classed as an appliance. accidental damage is not covered so its down to your home insurance. id save a trip to the store or a phone call as you will be wasting your time. just make sure you get jl vouchers from the insurance otherwise you will loose you 5 year warranty
 

Michael Tonge

Novice Member
ashmufc said:
I read the T&Cs on the JL website, and no mention of it, just says they won't repair damage done on purpose.
Can anyone tell me, cheers.

And mods, I posted here because a lot of JL Pricematching goes on here in the plasma forum, and there will be a lot more people in the know here than other forums, please leave it here for sometime till I get an answer :thumbsup:

Double check with your insurance company- I called up Direct Line to cover my TVs (with additional accidental damage on my policy) BUT they said that I didn't need to as the bog standard cover covers accidental damage to household electrical goods! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The only reason you'd need the extra cover would be for expensive ornaments and furniture etc.

I was well impressed. My contents + accidental damage to electrical items costs only £90 a year!

It might well be that you are already covered for accidental damage to your tv- I was, which was a nice surprise! :)
 

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Michael Tonge said:
Double check with your insurance company- I called up Direct Line to cover my TVs (with additional accidental damage on my policy) BUT they said that I didn't need to as the bog standard cover covers accidental damage to household electrical goods! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The only reason you'd need the extra cover would be for expensive ornaments and furniture etc.

I was well impressed. My contents + accidental damage to electrical items costs only £90 a year!

It might well be that you are already covered for accidental damage to your tv- I was, which was a nice surprise! :)
The only think to watch is that on a number of policies (I have just renewed recently) the upper limit is £1500 for a single article so if your plasma is worth more then you might have a difference to pay or a problem claiming. You have to name the item on your house policy and this will cost you a bit more money but not much for peace of mind. Did they ask you the price of the set?
 

Michael Tonge

Novice Member
ChuckMountain said:
The only think to watch is that on a number of policies (I have just renewed recently) the upper limit is £1500 for a single article so if your plasma is worth more then you might have a difference to pay or a problem claiming. You have to name the item on your house policy and this will cost you a bit more money but not much for peace of mind. Did they ask you the price of the set?
I haven't had to name or give the price of the TV:

Direct Line Contents Insurance

...Also covers accidental damage to TVs, home computers, home entertainment systems, freezer contents (unlimited),

I just called them to double check and they said I didn't need to name it (even though it is over £1.5k) as it isn't a "valuable" as it isn't carryable by one person- so it was fully covered automatically, and I didn't need to name it on the policy :)
 

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yes, you indeed right for Direct Line. Now just wondering whether I should swap as my insurance is due and it is cheaper with Direct Line than my current insurer partly because I don't pay any extra for the plasma.

I better not pick my plasma up by myself any more ;)
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom