1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis are brilliant!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Steve Thackery, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Steve Thackery

Steve Thackery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought my 36" Panny this week I scoured the Internet and found that Empire Direct were the cheapest at £1540. The guarantee offered was 1 year, and delivery an extra £50.

I then phoned my nearest John Lewis - some 60 miles away - and asked if they'd like to price match. Ten minutes later I got a phone call - yes, they would price match to £1540, give me a FIVE year guarantee, and send two engineers to deliver and install it (60 miles away, don't forget) for £40. A cracking deal!

Two very smartly presented engineers arrived, bang on time, and they were polite and professional. As well as installing and setting up the TV, they went to some trouble to connect up my DVD and VCR, trying out the DVD on both RGB and S-Video to choose the best picture. Nothing was too much trouble. They tidied up after them, and left only after confirming that I was satisfied.

John Lewis - that was a brilliant service. This is a public "thank you". I cannot recommend them highly enough to others.

Steve Thackery

2. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange because I called 2 john lewis stores to get a pricematch on unbeatable.co.uk for my 32" sony and was told the same thing by both, they have to do an undersale which means it goes to another department to check it and this takes about a week, which it did.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hello Steve.

Glad you had good service.
    Did by any chance you try Hughes?
    I used to work there as a service engineer.
    They'll bend over backwards to please a customer.
    I 'KNOW!'.
    The one thing that I always heard bad things about was their after sales service.
    Don't meant to put them down, just asking. :)
    It's unusual, that's all for their 'installers' to be so good. Allegedly. :D

4. Steve Thackery

Steve Thackery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, I haven't had chance to try out their after sales service yet! If I do, I'll give you a full report.

Truth to tell, I never even thought of trying Hughes. I did go to Allders, and they operate the same deal as John Lewis (apart from the 5 year warranty, I think). But they told me they don't do Panny's, so that was that.

Steve

5. Steve Thackery

Steve Thackery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to the above, I should just point out that I never even went to the shop. It was all done by phone, including payment.

Very chuffed, I am.

Steve

6. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm glad someone has had a good experience to date. I've not been so lucky.

Bought a Panny 32pk1 for a good price with extended guarantee.

Delivery men turned up and put the TV on my wooden cabinet and DRAGGED it into place tearing a gash of 10cm about 2cm deep in the top!

John Lewis referred the complaint to their delivery subcontractors and I had to deal with them direct.3 months latter we finally agreed a settlement.

Now the TV has a fault and their engineer came to try and fix it through the service menu. No joy. They took the TV away for a week and couldn't find the fault. The TV was 'within specification'...that old chesnut!. NO WAY!

I went back to the store(Bristol) to complain and they arranged for the senior engineer to come and have another look yesterday.(This is the fourth Saturday I have has to stay in waiting for them) At 5.40pm I got a phone call they can't make it!!!!

Suffice to say I am going back to JL today to get a refund. If they resist this there will be heated discussions. I am fed up with the whole sorry affair!

Sorry about the rant! Feeling a bit better now.

Now where's that copy of the Sale of Goods Act.......
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ 22-07-2001: Message edited by: Monster ]

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Pleased to hear about the good service you got Steve.

John Lewis are the BEST.

I while ago, I was in Newcastle and bought a sharp microwave from their store. Its not often I'm in Newcastle, as its about 50 miles from home and costs a tenner in fuel there and back.

When I got home I found the microwave wasn't exactly to my liking and decided to return it. I knew they would be OK about it, but rang first. I couldn't beleive it when they were prepared to come to my home to collect it at no charge, which saved me time + money.

Bought an AEG dishwasher a couple of years ago from them, which developed a small fault in its 2nd year. Was promptly repaired by manufacturer at no charge, cos of the 2yr gtee provided by the store.

Beginning of this week I searched all over the internet for an AEG washing machine. Then, as advised by other posts, I was going to phone my local John Lewis store to try and get them to match the low internet price.

Cheapest I could find on the net was an AEG 50430 for £289. When I rang John Lewis, I couldn't beleive they only wanted £279. I got free del + 2yr gtee included.

Decided to get the slightly higher model, 50630 for £299 from them, since this was an even better buy - £429 at Miller Bros.

The store delivers (free)to my area only every 2 weeks, and I'd just missed that day. The shop asst realised it was urgent, so suggested I had del by AEG themselves. I expected to pay a premium for this, as I'd seen one on-line trader wanting £29 del from AEG. She said I could have it delivered direct within just 4 days - Free!

All this, without even leaving my armchair -Spot on!

My parents have bought large appliances from them over the years and used their 3 cheque system to pay for them. What you do is write 3 cheques out, each dated a month later - like having 3 months interest free credit you see. They make make a basic credit check to make sure you're kosher and then you can take the goods or have them delivered.

Has anyone else come across the type of payment, as it does seem rather unique?

8. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Following my post above just thought I'd let you know about a strange policy John Lewis have.

If a TV has a fault they will not exchange or refund until the set has been looked at by their Engineers THREE TIMES !!!

In my case they put up minor objection to a refund as my TV had only been looked at twice (It would have been three times if the engineer has turned up for the last appointment!!)

What I don't understand is why three times. Twice I could see the logic. One, home visit. Two, take it to the workshop. But the third time??? If they can't fix it, it should be swapped/refunded. Is this a common policy and is there a reason that I cannot see?

:confused:

9. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm this all doesn't bode well for me. I as others above was pleased as punch when JL price-matched EmpireDirect, presales staff very friendly and accomodating but I'm so far unimpressed with the picture quality of my Panasonic 32pk3 and today contacted aftersales, what a contrast. Was on hold for several minutes then bounced between 3 less than frindly staff then was told an engineer would call me back, did I get that call, did I heck. I'm slightly concerned because I guess technically there is nothing wrong with the set, I just expected a better picture from a £800+ telly it's not even as good as my old 25", will I get an exchange? I'm preparing myself for some bad news.

Phil

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck to everybody getting the price match and a free guarantee from Lewis's and the like.

My only concern is that the retailers who genuinely offer their punter's cheap prices end up losing out to Lewis's and crew who get away with "ripping off" most of their clients and only provide a good deal for the few switched on enough, like us lot here, to get the best deal around.

They say "never knowingly undersold" then why do they sell a TV at £2000, do a price match at £1364 then carry on stocking and selling it at £2000?!?!

I love JL's because they have some good quality stuff and I've bought loads of things from them but just feel that this sort of thing will bite us all back by others going bust - www.intersaver.co.uk was a good example, they sold electrical stuff online really cheap but didn't last - I'm not saying that's JL's fault but you get the idea!

Anyway can somebody hold my hand while I step down from this soap box.

Cheers
    OG

11. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand John Lewis will accept all returned faulty or unsuitable goods, undamaged, without question. MInd you, I agree with the above about 'Never Knowingly Undersold', that is nonsense because I have had price matches too and then noticed the original price remained unchanged. I have also returned 'damaged' goods only to find them put back on sale - as new!

12. wirez

wirez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ewok: An undersale can take up to a week to check. This is particularly the case where a retailer has been known to give one price to someone telephoning them asking the price, and another to people actually visiting the shop. In these cases a "mystery shopper" has to visit the shop and confirm the undersale.Also not all stores have ready internet access, and at busy times cannot spare staff to check the undersale straight-away. However you can buy the television straight away at the marked John Lewis price and if the undersale is confirmed they will send you a cheque for the difference if the undersale is confirmed. Surely 7 days is not so long to wait...

13. wirez

wirez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delta: It is not John Lewis's policy to except correctly functioning goods back without question, it is managers perogative. However generally speaking they will take the goods back and issue a full refund. This costs the partnership a great deal of money as another policy of John Lewis is never to re-sell goods which have been used to another customer without marking the television as used and substancially reducing its price. Such A1 condition returns are hence often very good buys in store! However steps are taken to avoid people abusing this policy and defrauding the company.
    If a company is selling the item LOCALLY cheaper then the price IN THAT BRANCH is reduced to match the competitor. With a web undersale or a NON-LOCAL competitor the price is not reduced in the store except for the person reporting the undersale. Not many companies would match an undersale against an internet only retailer that has no overheads!

14. wirez

wirez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJong: It is managers discretion whether they will take back non-defective goods and offer a refund. Usually they do, but if you make a good case you are more likely to do so. This costs the partnership a lot of money. See my earlier comment regarding what Delta said, JL *NEVER* put used stock back on display as new, however they sometimes use such A1 grade returns in store as demonstrators, and then we in comes time to sell that specific television, it is marked down heavily and shown as used and a ex-demo.
    Come into the store at a quiet time, and speak to the person holding the clipboard. Be nice, and explain why without lying why you don't like the set and the chances are you will go home happy. JL like to keep customers happy, its good business.

15. wirez

wirez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monster: If a TV has a fault it is not JLs policy to call-out three times. Once is enough. If however no fault is found during a call-out such an escalation is normal, to ensure that more than one opinion is sort. Frequently an independant third party is sent out to check on the TV if no fault can be found to ensure absence of bias. If as you say the set is new and faulty you will get your refund, its the law. If however the set fails in year five say, the repair is covered by insurance and the insurance company can insist that one of their people take a look at the set before paying out for the repair. If you feel you have been inconvenienced make a polite appeal to the manger of the department and you are likely to receive a "good will" payment.

16. wirez

wirez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monster: regarding your first post
    All of the delivery men John Lewis use are fully insured. Sometimes the installation is subcontracted out to local companies of good reputation, but again they must be insured. As with all insurance claims it can take time, but if you feel agreeved you should go back to the store and complain about the length of time it took. If the television is not defective you have no recourse to the sale of goods act and "heated discussions" will be counter-productive. Go to speak to the manager of the department face-to-face, and put forward calmly why you feel the television is defective and the problems during the original installation. If you put your case calmly, fairly and logically you are unlikely to go away from your meeting unhappy.

17. wirez

wirez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another good reason to buy from John Lewis which nobody has mentioned is that they will price match up to thirty days AFTER you purchase the item from them. You don't have to use a Barclaycard, they have had the policy for years. I have seen people buy items for christmas, and if they find them cheaper in the January sales get there refund checks sent to them! Price matches between different branches of John Lewis are also possible because of the previously mentioned local price match policy can cause prices to vary branch to branch.

18. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have made some progress on the PK3, I have obtained confirmation regarding the 14 day cooling-off period from two separate personnel (names/times noted) ie the period during which I am entitled to a refund or exchange if not satisfied with purchase. This will be pursued this week, hopefully I will have satisfaction.

Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative to the 32pk3?

Phil

19. Russell

Russell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been in John Lewis in Oxford St a couple of times lately and have heard them wriggling out of price matching lately on the grounds that the competitor price didn't have a 5 year guarantee attached . Also when my sister-in-law went there they did the same by alleging that the internet site was selling grey imports (Empire Direct) because the model No. of the TV didn't exactly match . She eventually went to the Brent Cross branch who did the business no questions asked .
    The moral is - avoid Oxford St !

20. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Wirez: You seem very familiar with JL policy. Do you work for them?
    Regards your comment that it IS NOT their policy to check a TV faul three times before issuing a refund, let me quote the service staff member that I spoke to "It is our policy to have our engineers check a reported fault on a television three times before a refund is offered" :p :p :p

Seriously though, the 'heated debate' remark was flippant however I do believe that if you are in the right you should stand up for yourself. If I had been less assertive I would not have the refund to which I was entitled.

At the end of the day I have obtained what I was due and unfortunately, due to JL's obsreperousness, I would seriously reconsider making further purchases at the store.

21. 11aa11aa

11aa11aa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with OG

This just boils down to greed. Just how much do you guys want for your money?

Let's go back 5 years or so - we had no real choice in where we bought stuff and got royally ripped off.

Now - we can shop around while sitting at work and save £££'s. Are we happy saving a 1/4 off the TV's we love. Oh no. We need more. We go back to those companies that ripped us off thinking we're getting the last laugh with some crappy guarantee. They're still profiting from you lot and the companies that are offering such a good deal are being ignored.

This is just greedy. I've gradually bought more and more off the internet and have not had any major problems and find everyone I speak to helpful and honest, so far (I appreciate that some others have had bad experiences)

I bet when more and more of these firms go under and the prices start creeping up there'll be plenty of bitchin' on here about that. And who's to blame? Currys? No. John Lewis? No. It'll be people too greedy to accept the good deal they've been looking for. :mad:

Sometimes I really despair.

22. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand John Lewis policy is to replace or repair NO QUESTIONS ASKED! That is as long as the item is still under guarantee. Their price matching policy is simply that they will match another price, extended guarantees have nothing to do with it.