john lewis and whats NOT covered in there 5yr warranty for plasma ? and a moral dilem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SILVERBACK, Jun 7, 2005.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    first question is i have set my heart on a 37 pv500 and want to know what foibales there are to the 5year warranty as this seems a little to good to be true especially for plasma`s.

and secondly is a bit of a tough one,basically i have bought the mass majority of my home cinema equipment from a local retailer who have been very good to me and in turn i have brought them a lot of business aswell BUT basically there price for a pv500 is more than JL and it doesnt include the 5yr warranty BUT does come with buy now pay later option which is a nice option because im scraping the barrel to get the full amount.

i would like to stay a decent customer to these guys but if the warranty is a full and no little quirks i think it will be JL for me and just watch the cash flow for the next month or 2.

2. billysmith

billysmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong but i think the 5 year guarantee only covers the tuner and not the Plasma screen.

3. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi All
    Same dilemma for me,we have a local Panasonic dealer who definately won't discount,or price match,but if you have a problem with your set purchased from him on Saturday afternoon,chances are,he will sort it for you,having said that,I bought my Panasonic 32in widescreen from him 8 yrs ago,and it's still going strong,damn it!

Regarding JL and warranties,I thought it strange that a 5 yr warranty would cover anything and everything,would someone who has one of these warranties care to tell us exactly what is covered and if there are any conditions.
    Many Thanks
    Alan

4. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The only thing is doesnt cover is screen burn. Everything else is covered.

I wouldnt have any reservations about the quality of the warranty.

:D

5. mentalmike

mentalmike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know what the warrenty is like that av sales sell as an option even if you don't buy the screen from them?

6. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Forgot to say there is a detailed link on the JL web site for tv etc.

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Dead or dying pixels are also not covered and it is not an insurance policy. So any accidental damage is down to you.

The 3yr or 5yr warranties elsewhere will be actual insurance policies which will obviously cover more comprehensively.

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    mmmmmmmmmm so not QUITE the full rounded package it sounds :( but its still not bad.im really still not sure wether im buying a plasma yet though but thanks for the replys though.can anyone recommend a thitd party insurer?

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Heh, for a FREE warranty what more do you want. Extended warranties at the end of the day are nothing more than simple piece of mind, they don't effect you statutory consumer rights so if you didn't have one you still have more than enough legal backup to get your product fixed anyway. Personally, I think the JL warranty is a nice thing to have for nothing particularly as you're also dealing with a company with a good customer service but I wouldn't base my purchasing choice solely on whether a free warranty was included and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one either.

10. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just make sure you have accidental insurance cover, on house policy and also that it covers flat screens :)

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    It's by no means a complete policy, in fact quite basic in terms of plasma but it's free and it's 5 years, which is a lot more than anyone else offers. JL also (in most cases) do have an exemplory customer service track record. It is definately a good place to buy a TV from. They changed my Viera 3 times before I was satisfied and nothing was too much trouble for them.

I'm not sure I would be happy to NOT get any type of extended guarantee. Relying on trade and out of manufactuers warranty does mean you have to prove your legal case, which is just a headache. Better to have than not on a costly purchase such as a plasma I would say.

12. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    had a call from my local retailer who said they would match the JL deal but with a better policy :)