Allow a hone repair?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No chance on a 8 week old tv

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

white91

What would you do?

Purchased an LG OLED65C8 on 5/6/19 and it turned up on 10/6/19, purchased from JL primarily for their good aftersales.

Last weekend 3/8/19 two green vertical lines appeared on the screen. JL put me in touch with LG who advised me to run the pixel refresher 5 times, whilst this did in fact help, there are still two lines there.

JL now say LG are responsible for rectify the problem. LG’s solution is to repair the tv, which effectively means an engineer will strip my new TV in my living room full of dust and dog hairs. I am pretty sure when TVs are built they are in a dust/static free environment, not somebody’s living room.

Given the age and expense of the TV my preference is for a replacement not some ‘engineer’ with an impact driver coming out.

I’ve stated clearly that my contract is with JL not LG an they should offer a replacement, if so far the drones on the phone are not deviating from their call script.

Any ideas?

sagaris99

What would you do?

Purchased an LG OLED65C8 on 5/6/19 and it turned up on 10/6/19, purchased from JL primarily for their good aftersales.

Last weekend 3/8/19 two green vertical lines appeared on the screen. JL put me in touch with LG who advised me to run the pixel refresher 5 times, whilst this did in fact help, there are still two lines there.

JL now say LG are responsible for rectify the problem. LG’s solution is to repair the tv, which effectively means an engineer will strip my new TV in my living room full of dust and dog hairs. I am pretty sure when TVs are built they are in a dust/static free environment, not somebody’s living room.

Given the age and expense of the TV my preference is for a replacement not some ‘engineer’ with an impact driver coming out.

I’ve stated clearly that my contract is with JL not LG an they should offer a replacement, if so far the drones on the phone are not deviating from their call script.

Any ideas?
Unfortunately because you’re outside of the 30 day returns window, JL have the right to attempt a repair. I believe you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or faulty, and then should the repair not fix it, or the same issue arise, you then have the right to a replacement or refund.

You’re right, your contract is with JL not LG, but in buying the TV from the you implicitly agree to their returns and repairs policy.
I don’t believe there’s much you can do. If LG were dubious that it would fix the issue, I suspect you’d be lined up for a replacement, but LG seem confident to repair. Sorry I don’t have better news. Would agree that the repair in situ sounds problematic - but without meaning to seem rude, from any retailer’s perspective, that’s a you problem.

Only recommendation I would have is do your best to clean the room and keep pets out of there for a couple of days beforehand.

white91

Ok then if your 2 month old German car was defective within 2 months would you be happy with a repair? If so would you let somebody fix it on your driveway? Let them place the sump on your grass?

sagaris99

Ok then if your 2 month old German car was defective within 2 months would you be happy with a repair? If so would you let somebody fix it on your driveway? Let them place the sump on your grass?
Mate I’m not taking their side, and I totally agree, it’s bad

Unfortunately unless you kick up a stink right to JL head office, which is suspect won’t get far as their just following their policy, I don’t see there’s much you can do that’s all

The alternative is that you send the TV away for up to 4 weeks (that’s what they quoted me for my phone repair last year) and are left TV less, as they almost certainly wouldn’t leave you a loaner. the stink most customers would make if they were left tv less would give makes it sensible to attempt home repair.

In this scenario, I think they’re all as bad as each other, and potentially the policy is wrong. I totally see you point and argument, but all I’m saying is that they’re following policy to the letter.

nheather

Distinguished Member
A few observations

1) I don’t think TVs are assembled in clean rooms. They will in in production lines in China. I am sure they are clean but not what you are suggesting.

2) TVs are not sealed units. If your room is dusty then dust will be getting into your TV any way.

3) The guy that assembles TV is likely to have very little expertise and probably won’t understand what they are doing. They are told to plug this wire in here, insert and tighten screws here. Not saying that they don’t do it well just that from a TV technology point of view they have little knowledge of what they are doing. By comparison the guy that comes to fix your TV will be a genius.

4) Using a £40k+ car is not a valid comparison.

5) But while you are on about cars, people do have to accept repairs done after 2 months, done at a local dealer not in the clean production line in Bavaria.

6) And such German cars do come with roadside assistance and if appropriate they will do repairs on the roadside or on your drive.

7) But if you really insist, I suppose you can take the TV into John Lewis and let them ship it off to the LG repair agents. But most would prefer an fast in-situ fix if possible.

I think you have to let them attempt a repair. The UK consumer law will support them doing that.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
It’s probably a circuit board so quite easy to replace in situ. At least you can see the work being done. I doubt LG would send some crack handed engineer.

I agree it’s annoying but I would suggest seeing what happens first :)

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
At least it's being repaired in your home and you shouldn't be without a set. That said I'd be more concerned that a nearly new panel is already faulty. I suspect it won't be long before it gives up the ghost and you get a new set.

Barrovian

Hate to say it, but you don’t have much of a choice other than to let them attempt a repair. I had a very similar issue with JL last year with my 6 month old Panasonic OLED developed a visible calibration rectangle in the middle of the screen. It was an issue known to affect LG screens and I provided JL all the supporting evidence I could find. They sent engineers who agreed the set needed replacement. But Panasonic told JL they were ‘investigating the issue’ and would not supply a replacement until those investigations were complete. JL refused to budge, saying that they could do nothing without the go ahead from Panasonic and refused to give any timescale. In the end, after six weeks I had to start a sec 25 chargeback with my credit card company, upon which JL decided that they could offer a replacement. Sad to say, but JL’s reputation as a customer focused retailer is in my opinion no longer deserved and I would be very wary of buying any big ticket item from them again.

woppy101

Distinguished Member
I don’t understand what you are panicking for, JL repair in your home or will take the tv away put a new panel in or replace with a new one, what’s the problem?

white91

Quick update for you all - wish I had purchased this from Richer Sounds!

Despite contacting JL on 5th August, they still have not sorted this out, and have consistently lied to me.

I had an engineer visit on 10th August (despite JL saying they would need to cancel this visit) he confirmed the panel was faulty and needed replacement. I heard nothing from JL until I called up on 13th August, was told they would speak to LG and call me back. I hit social media to prompt a response, finally got a voicemail at 6:29 on 15th August (turns out his shift finished at 6:30!), I called at 6:45 to get his voicemail, left him a message. Again heard nothing until 20th August, I was assured he would speak with LG and definitely call me the next day (i.e. today), guess what, nobody called me!

We are now nearly 3 weeks in and I'm chasing for answers, JL can't be bothered to follow up. Contacted my bank today about a chargeback, they said they would support my claim but I would need to return the TV first. I'm going instore Friday to speak with a manager with a view to dropping the TV off on a busy Saturday as I'm out of options.

Frankly JL have lost a customer over this hassle.

Barrovian

Despite contacting JL on 5th August, they still have not sorted this out, and have consistently lied to me.

I had an engineer visit on 10th August (despite JL saying they would need to cancel this visit) he confirmed the panel was faulty and needed replacement. I heard nothing from JL until I called up on 13th August, was told they would speak to LG and call me back. I hit social media to prompt a response, finally got a voicemail at 6:29 on 15th August (turns out his shift finished at 6:30!), I called at 6:45 to get his voicemail, left him a message. Again heard nothing until 20th August, I was assured he would speak with LG and definitely call me the next day (i.e. today), guess what, nobody called me!

We are now nearly 3 weeks in and I'm chasing for answers, JL can't be bothered to follow up. Contacted my bank today about a chargeback, they said they would support my claim but I would need to return the TV first. I'm going instore Friday to speak with a manager with a view to dropping the TV off on a busy Saturday as I'm out of options.

Sounds horribly familiar. Looks like their CS is still pants. Out of interest, did you buy in store or online? I bought online, but my bank didn’t stipulate that I had to return the tv before I could instigate a chargeback. Having said that, I didn’t actually need to invoke the CB. I sent them a final letter telling them that unless my set was either repaired, replaced or refunded within 7 working days of the letter, I would start the chargeback procedure. Two days later, I got a phone call offering me my choice of resolution.
JL’s customer service has nosedived since they farmed out their call handling to third party agents. Check out their TrustPilot reviews if you dare. They rely on customers not knowing their rights under CRA 2015, and in my experience, and yours apparently, prevaricate, obfuscate and in in my case tell outright lies to try and fob their customers off.

white91

Sounds horribly familiar. Looks like their CS is still pants. Out of interest, did you buy in store or online? I bought online, but my bank didn’t stipulate that I had to return the tv before I could instigate a chargeback. Having said that, I didn’t actually need to invoke the CB. I sent them a final letter telling them that unless my set was either repaired, replaced or refunded within 7 working days of the letter, I would start the chargeback procedure. Two days later, I got a phone call offering me my choice of resolution.
JL’s customer service has nosedived since they farmed out their call handling to third party agents. Check out their TrustPilot reviews if you dare. They rely on customers not knowing their rights under CRA 2015, and in my experience, and yours apparently, prevaricate, obfuscate and in in my case tell outright lies to try and fob their customers off.

Well I’ve investigated a CB to again try and prompt a response. It’s a massive 65” tv to either transport to the store or get shipped back. It was purchased online, but as far as I’m concerned JL is JL.

I like many others presumably though JL had superior aftersales, in fact they are worse than most retailers I’ve dealt with.

Inked

Distinguished Member
The panel on my tv has been replaced twice (admittedly it was over 8 weeks old), the first time the repair agent took the tv away to action the repair and returned it a month later with gouges taken out of the stand which they then had to replace.

The second time, (I refused to have the same agent deal with it) the new repair agent sent a two man team to carry out the repair in my home once the part was available rather than being without the tv at all.

The second option is a much better solution in my opinion.

nheather

Distinguished Member

Wow sounds terrible, don’t blame you for getting fed up.

Must admit I have had some mixed experiences with JL customer service.

And I have never liked that their motto “never knowingly undersold”, which they display everywhere, is a bare faced lie.

Cheers,

Nigel

white91

Right still unresolved but after various lies and false promises, JL have agreed LG will not be able to resolve this within their 28 day agreement.

Although it has already been inspected by an engineer organised by JL, apparently it wasn’t recorded properly so they require more photos to determine it wasn’t damaged!

As the C8 is out of stock, there is no replacement available, and they want to charge an additional £1000 if I want a C9!

I think I will just need to get a refund and hope we see a good discount around Black Friday.

What a joke!

white91

Right getting a refund on the C8, what next? C8 seems pretty much sold out now, so do I pick up an E8 for a little more or wait on the C9 price drop? I’d imagine the first significant drop on the C9 will be around Black Friday?

Barrovian

Right getting a refund on the C8, what next? C8 seems pretty much sold out now, so do I pick up an E8 for a little more or wait on the C9 price drop? I’d imagine the first significant drop on the C9 will be around Black Friday?
Glad it’s finally resolved for you. Can’t give any real advice as to what to buy as I’m a Panasonic owner, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll want this year’s model. Go on, you know you want too. Think of it as a treat to yourself for all the grief you’ve been through with the C8

white91

Thing is the C9 is around £1100 more than what I paid for the C8, after buying the sound bar and everything else I’m not exactly gagging to spend more. Pretty sure for an extra £150 I can get the E8. Can’t imagine the difference between ‘18 and ‘19 sets being massive.

Pretty sure I will use Richer Sounds too

Barrovian

Thing is the C9 is around £1100 more than what I paid for the C8, after buying the sound bar and everything else I’m not exactly gagging to spend more. Pretty sure for an extra £150 I can get the E8. Can’t imagine the difference between ‘18 and ‘19 sets being massive.

Pretty sure I will use Richer Sounds too
I’m sure you realise I was being a bit lighthearted with my suggestion, I just know what I’d be like I’ve got last years Panny. It’s perfect in my eyes, but I’m already casting envious glances at this years GZ models. I guess if you’ve got a second set knocking around that will tide you over for a month or so, hang on. If not then I’m sure the E8 will do you proud. Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom