John Lewis Accidental Damage Insurance - Burn In Covered

Scott28

Established Member
Reaction score
John Lewis appear to have upped there game in the sale of OLED’s offering additional Accidental Damage Insurance as an add on purchase.

Hopefully other retailers follow.

£140 for additional insurance based on the 65C9

A4657EF6-C802-462D-8C50-1EC9C06C2D0C.jpeg

Does this mark the end of the worry for Burn In on OLED?

Product Info;
53C74A90-2CC4-40DF-9F6A-C3A9A014264E.jpeg

Pretty much. Its been discussed in other threads. I've also emailed JL and they confirmed it.

I've emailed other retailers (RS, Peter Tyson, Box). Responses have been they'll look into trying to provide cover. One retailer however did mention that they felt by JL offering this warranty program, they're actually just providing an excuse not to cover it or help users under the normal warranty (was an interesting opinion, if that retailer would have offered assurances they'd cover burn in under their normal warranty which they wouldn't).

Anyway, massive step forwards and I'm happy personally. Makes buying a 77 inch OLED a lot less of an anxiety inducing purchase now. Cudos to JL.

It’s still in its infancy in so much as no one I imagine will have tested it yet, but John Lewis are generally pretty clear cut when it’s an added extra and stated in black and white.

I was adamantly against an OLED before, now I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on the 65” C9 at £2,198 with the £140 accidental cover.

Been racking @Dodgexander brain the last few days, and I can’t thank him enough for his patience and advice.

This is very encouraging news. What jumps out at me is the "neglect" exclusions clause. I wonder if burn in claims will have a battle on this front as I can well imagine companies trying to get out of it by saying the burn in is due to neglect (leaving on a channel too long etc).

I've emailed other retailers (RS, Peter Tyson, Box). Responses have been they'll look into trying to provide cover. One retailer however did mention that they felt by JL offering this warranty program, they're actually just providing an excuse not to cover it or help users under the normal warranty
That is exactly what I thought when I first heard about this. Probably just means you'd need to fight with JL a bit harder to get them to resolve any issue, as your consumer rights don't disappear.

That is exactly what I thought when I first heard about this. Probably just means you'd need to fight with JL a bit harder to get them to resolve any issue, as your consumer rights don't disappear.

I still prefer JL's approach of a no nonsense protection program.

No retailer under normal warranty terms prior to purchase (even Costco) are willing to promise helping out if burn in is to occur.

Had two conversations about the RS warranty with two different RS employees.

One said burn in was covered if "normal usage" could be determined (eg not leaving on same channel for hours, no avoiding the pixel refresh by using the

I just pulled the trigger on a LG65C9 with the additional £140 cover.

Hopefully never have to use it, but I couldn’t justify buying it without.

I kind of wish I'd waited to get my 48CX from John Lewis instead of Curry's now, but I couldn't face at least another two months waiting! A shame that as D&G provide the extended warranty for the TV through LG that this isn't available to all owners.

I kind of wish I'd waited to get my 48CX from John Lewis instead of Curry's now, but I couldn't face at least another two months waiting! A shame that as D&G provide the extended warranty for the TV through LG that this isn't available to all owners.

When did you purchase it, surely you can return if you are within your 28 days and buy through JL with the added extended warranty.

When did you purchase it, surely you can return if you are within your 28 days and buy through JL with the added extended warranty.
Ordered on 14th of May, but delivered on 24th of May. Presume the 28 days starts from date of receipt of product. Hmmmmmm.

Ordered on 14th of May, but delivered on 24th of May. Presume the 28 days starts from date of receipt of product. Hmmmmmm.

I am no legal eagle, but I would assume the 28 day period starts from the date you physically receive the item, which means your still within your rights.

My theory for this would be that shops could hold on to the the item for 29 days claiming delivery delays and then refuse to take it back for issues out with the 28 day policy .

Worth a call, costs nothing but your time.

Last edited:

John Lewis still don’t have stock of the 48CX and probably won’t for a couple more months yet, nothing’s changed on that front? If you have a good panel what’s the problem?

John Lewis still don’t have stock of the 48CX and probably won’t for a couple more months yet, nothing’s changed on that front? If you have a good panel what’s the problem?

It's a good panel now, but obviously I'm worried about burn-in in the long-term, especially with two game-obsessed sons in tow! You're right that John Lewis won't have any in stock for some time, which is one of the reasons I jumped and bought one through Curry's, along with the fact I don't think news of the JL warranty had emerged by then.

Maybe I will risk it and stick with the current one. I'll just have to keep an eye on the children potentially abusing it!

It's a good panel now, but obviously I'm worried about burn-in in the long-term, especially with two game-obsessed sons in tow! You're right that John Lewis won't have any in stock for some time, which is one of the reasons I jumped and bought one through Curry's, along with the fact I don't think news of the JL warranty had emerged by then.

Maybe I will risk it and stick with the current one. I'll just have to keep an eye on the children potentially abusing it!

If it helps - while there’s a lot of negativity around curry’s support - I have seen a lot of positive feedback with panel swaps that have been through them, even during the lockdown. Just might be hard to get ahold of them to do it ;)

I personally don't like this, it moves the inference of 'burn in' on to us the user rather than the TV been able to do its job and display content from broadcasters. I know burn in as a term is thrown around and actually pixel degradation is more often the issue yet by calling it burn in then often they put the blame on us, as users did something wrong.

Simply put, I think an OLED TV shouldn't suffer from 'burn-in' and if it does then it is a fault of the TV. The manufactures should build in functions with avoid it if it is a potential issue. Screen savers etc.

I personally don't like this, it moves the inference of 'burn in' on to us the user rather than the TV been able to do its job and display content from broadcasters. I know burn in as a term is thrown around and actually pixel degradation is more often the issue yet by calling it burn in then often they put the blame on us, as users did something wrong.

Simply put, I think an OLED TV shouldn't suffer from 'burn-in' and if it does then it is a fault of the TV. The manufactures should build in functions with avoid it if it is a potential issue. Screen savers etc.

I agree, I see this £140.00 insurance as deflecting the issue to a third party like D&G who have carefully included "neglect" as an exemption so IF your panel gets burn in I can only see it being a battle with them instead of JL. I can't see D&G paying out/repairing/replacing many OLED's but time will tell.

No manufacturer does or will cover for burn in and I doubt they ever will. That said, I still see reports of people getting replacement panels due to burn in, so it seems there must be a threshold for what is/isn't "normal" burn in. It's all as clear as mud, and as much as I'd love to, I won't be dabbling in the OLED market anytime soon.

Last edited:

Where is the 28 days from? I thought their policy was 21 days. Consumer Contract Regulations are up to 14 days to report it to them and up to a further 14 days to ship back.

JL have a 30 day returns policy which starts on the day you order it not the day you receive it: Refund policy

Where does it state that it says purchases? In the what's excluded it states items that you received over 35 days ago.

Unfortunately the purchaser bought from Currys :(

Just to add this is whats not covered by the insurance. So if you have house insurance with accidental damage or "or they class it as an electrical breakdown" is it worth it??

WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?

• If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions and/or installation guidelines
  • Failure of items replaceable by you, such as fuses and bulbs
  • Loss, theft, cosmetic and deliberate damage
  • Breakdown or accidental damage covered by another guarantee
  • A mechanical or electrical breakdown

I'd be amazed if burn in is covered. I can see it obviously mentioned, but with all the clauses in these things I can see D&G using all kinds of excuses to not pay.

We'll just have to wait and see!

I'd be amazed if burn in is covered. I can see it obviously mentioned, but with all the clauses in these things I can see D&G using all kinds of excuses to not pay.

We'll just have to wait and see!
Tbh the way I can see it working ,they are banking on enough people paying the £140 to build up enough funds to cover the small percentage of genuine claims they pay out on !

Just to add this is whats not covered by the insurance. So if you have house insurance with accidental damage or "or they class it as an electrical breakdown" is it worth it??

WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?

• If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions and/or installation guidelines
  • Failure of items replaceable by you, such as fuses and bulbs
  • Loss, theft, cosmetic and deliberate damage
  • Breakdown or accidental damage covered by another guarantee
  • A mechanical or electrical breakdown
If it's an electrical or mechanical breakdown, it's covered by the standard guarantee.

Re the point about coverage from another insurer, not only is it none of their business, but in all the time I spent working for JL in tech support, dealing with accidental damage and standard breakdown claims, not once did I need to ask that question. D&G provided the cover for large electronic appliances (fridge, washing machine) and the indication was that the question was reserved for when damage was caused by a large event - ie a flood, so you didn't claim on your home insurer for x and y, then ask them to pay out for z.

In any case, if you were to be asked if you have insurance included by home and contents, the answer 'no' would suffice.

I plan on giving John lewis a call later on and asking about this. I'm looking at getting a new TV. Between the Samsung 90r, LG Oled C9 or the Samsung 80T. Depending on what they say might go for the C9.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom