1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

john lewis a disappointment

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by andya, Dec 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    cant believe there price match policy,anyway i bought a bug digital radio carphone warehouse had them for £90 john lewis price matched without even checking so i was lucky anyway ive tried to price match against othe companys for the sharp lcds g series and the just wont move on the price even with companys that have a shop floor and have them in stock.what im going to do is wright a letter to there head office and ask them why is it so different in each shop.also why not have a notice board telling customers the situation and why cant a big store like this match internet prices because afterall they have a site themselves and at the end of the day how can they sell a model for £3000 that u can get for about £1300

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I far that hard to beleive ( the pricing I mean ) ! What is it that you are comparing? :eek: :lease:

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rules are simple - If it's sold anywhere cheaper in a high street shop (ie not internet) and has a fixed sticker price (ie not the kind where you can haggle) and the item is in stock at the time of the pricematch (ie if the shop sells out the day after you call them, they will still match it.) then you will get the price match.

I've just done this and I'm waiting for the item to be in stock to collect it.

Richie.

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Richie,
    Sorry mate, I meant what ever is it that you are buying that they want £3k and you can get for £1300? It seems to be one hell of a difference! :eek:

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, I know that JL do have some hiked prices but there is the matter of the 5 year guarantee and the expert knowledge they say they have. Only thing, in my experiences with JL I have known 5 times more than those at JL apart from one time where I spoke to the top guy in the TV department who did know something (Thankfully). There are a few bargains to be got with some price matches of up to nearly a £1k on the bigger screens but not of the 32s. The only thing I can think Andya is comparing is the price of a 32GD1E in JL and 32GA3E elsewhere. That would then not be a very good price match ! :)

Richie.

6. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    if the staff new what they were talking about i would be ok but they havent a clue,and you ask them to give you a list of shops that they dont price match with and you will be suprised how many there are.the 5 year warranty is good but as i say the shops they price match with most of the time are just as dear as them

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Andy,
    What is it you are trying to price match??

8. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    they have sharp 37inch 3g series and i have tried to pricematch with other companys that have got it in stock and they cant match there prices.buy way i do know how there stupid policy works just every time i try its a no go

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    37 GD series or GA series?

Not that it matters to much.

There is no-one who can sell a 37" Sharp G series at £1300.

You MIGHT get a 37" GA3/4 for £2k if the winds blowing the right way.

If you're talking GD Titanium series then you'd be very lucky to breach £3k anyway.

I assume you actually mean the 32" anyway. Again there are few retailers who'd do that for under £2300. No-one would sell you one at £1300.

10. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Andy,
    I paid £2200 for my 37" GA4 and that came with a 3 year warranty direct from Sharp. That offer ends this month, so just buy one! I was looking at JL but when I looked a couple of months ago they only stocked the GD. I reckoned a Sharp 3 year warranty was good enough. If it lasts that long then it will probaly last 10 years. :thumbsup:

11. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i didnt think sharp sold direct to the public and knowing my luck they wont have any left.i see what you mean you got the g4 from a shop and sharp do the warranty,i dont think i could get a 37 g4 now if i could at that price i have the money waiting

12. tony cb6

tony cb6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    need to but in here .....andya where did you manage to get a bug for £90? my local cpw wants £120,but will price match if i give them details. sorry to hijack this thread

thanks tony

13. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i bought 2 of them carphone warehouse cheshire oaks is the place

14. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do people know that the "free" JL 5yr doesnt cover screenburn and dead pixels???
    Other than the screen element the electronics in the set are just as reliable as in a conventional TV. The "free cover" is just manufactures standats to cover against defects at time of manufacturer.

Pixel failure and screen burn are inherrant to the design - any warranty to cover that you have to pay for - nomatter where you go.

Just some advice based on experience.

The pricematch thing is the best about though.

15. tony cb6

tony cb6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers andya

16. beno

beno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u can get it cheaper elsewhere why bother going back to john lewis?

17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Do people really think that John Lewis, with all its stores, staff, and massive overheads, should price match an internet company, just because it has one showroom? Even though 95% of it's business is done online? Their price match agreement is with local shops. Shops Like Richer Sounds where you can go in and actually buy what you want there and then rather than having to wait for it to be delivered from a main warehouse.

18. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    I'm with you on this one - you have two choices really

cheap price, smaller warranty, potentially harder returns policy
    higher price, longer warranty, better returns policy

very rarely in life do you get a combination of both.

If you are that worried about price matching, get a barclaycard, rumour has it that price match just about anyone!

19. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    How many high street stores will price match the local competition, and still give you a 5 year guarentee on tvs for free. And a guarentee with John Lewis is actually worth something as they aren't gonna go bust like other company's have, leaving guarentees worthless. Money isn't everything. :)

My dad was telling me of a friend of his who bought a laptop from a well know internet company only for it to go into liquidation. He lost over £1,000. JL may be more expensive, but there's no chance of them going bust anytime soon. :)

20. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I price matched on my Barclaycard and got £375 back! You have to be quick though as they are stopping it at the end of Jan 2005 because very few people have used it. You have to send a copy of the invoice and a print out from the checkout page of the cheaper site. You have 60 days to do it, they do not even check if they have stock. Handy if you were buying a Sharp as I was and came with a 3 year warranty.

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    I think the title should be changed. Unless the site and the member invloved is looking to be sued for libel? :confused:

22. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Patience is the key with JL.Keep trying to price match it's well worth it.Check other threads,Imanaged a price match just yesterday on a Sony plasma.The guarantee is worth its weight in gold but remember it's advertised as free.WHY SHOULD WE PAY MORE FOR THE PRODUCT.