1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis 5year Guarantee

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PAUL24WINRADIO, May 21, 2005.

1. PAUL24WINRADIO

PAUL24WINRADIO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exclusions:

a)If the item under guarantee has been accidentally damaged,for example,if it has been dropped.(Such damage will often be covered by a household contents insurance policy).

b)Image ghosting' or 'screen burn'.This can appear on a screen if left operating for a prolonged period with either a still image or a channel constantly displaying a logo.

c)Pixel spots.Tiny dark or bright spots which may be visible anywhere on a screen.

d)Digital television picture affected by any of the following:a misaligned or unsuitable aerial,climatic conditions,geographic location,poor quality or low strength broadcast signal.

2. PAUL24WINRADIO

PAUL24WINRADIO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ment to say that the two main things that would go on a plasm tv is the,
    Pixel Spots.
    &
    Image Ghosting or Screen Burn.

Which shows that J/L 5 year guarantee would not be much good on the paper that it is wrote on.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Paul - I think that most PDP manufacturers have a certain 'tolerance' for dead or stuck pixels written in to their guarantee / warranty, so I don't think that JL are bucking a trend or leaving consumers high and dry here.

As regards the ghosting/burn issue, I'm not so sure about the relative stance here, but it strikes me that - since this is often caused by user error - they are just making a specific extension of their accidental damage exclusion.

If you feel that the screen is giving poor PQ and suffers from issues - or are dissatisfied with it - then you can return the screen as faulty under the various consumer laws. In addition to which I think JL give some 'grace' period where you can return a screen just because you bought the 'wrong one' although as another member here found out, you may expect to pay a handling charge in this instance.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    So can someone in the know tell me what sort of problems are possible/expected within five years of owning a plasma. I know it seems an odd question but I can beat JL'S price on a 37PE50 by about £200(they won't price match, I've tried!) but with only a one year warranty. I'm trying to figure out if the extra warranty is worth the £200. If I do have a problem is it really likely to cost that much to fix it? I'm guessing the chances of two problems after the first year are slim but then I'm new to plasmas and don't know what I'm talking about!!