Question John Lewis 55JL9000 - White flashes issue

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by rhino2k, Jun 25, 2015.

Tags:

1. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,305
      Hi all,

Before I start, I know I need to do some more testing, But want to get a head start.
      For the most part I am using a FireTV, But i am sure this has happened via Blu-ray also.

Basically the middle of the screen will flash white every so often, Maybe 1-2 times per hour. It Always seems to be in the center, Which is odd and makes me wonder if it is something to do with the local dimming system rather than an input issue.
      I have the tv set up as per the forum review, Local dimming is set to low. I have never had this happen before so am a little out of my depth. Previous 2 LED's were Samsung.
      I am going to try a new HDMI, But feel if this was the issue the whole screen would be doing it. I think this did not happen for the first moth I had it so obviously need to work it out in case there is a warranty issue.

Other than this the picture is stunning, Even the black level is pretty good considering the relatively poor results in the review.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,467
      Have you tied disabling the dimming to see if it stops?

Have you any energy saving options enabled anywhere?

3. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,305
      Hi Mark,
      Thanks for the reply.
      I have not yet tried this as I was not sure if it would cause other issues as the black levels are not great compared to the samsung !
      It was going to be one of my first things to try, I will turn it off tonight and see how I get on :smashin:

Exact settings are as per Steve's here John Lewis 55JL9000 Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings | AVForums

[Edit] Energy saving is off

4. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,467
      Hi rhino

I'm struggling with the old grey matter, memory wise, but I feel sue there are energy saving options in the menus somewhere - perhaps not the Picture menu - so have a dig around.

I had a look at a LG manual from the same year but 'helpfully' it doesn't mention settings.

5. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,305
      Thank you Mark,
      There is a setting which was turned off, But I will have another look later, Might have missed something!
      Cheers
      Neil

6. ZIGMEGA

ZIGMEGA
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hey there,

I've been looking for a post like this for a few months now. I also have a LH 55JL9000, John Lewis branded LG, which has the same white flash problem.

The problem started almost right out of the box from what I remember. Every hour or so the entire screen will flash white for a millisecond.

There is also something else that happens and wounded if Rhino2k notices the same thing?

The problem is noticeable when the room lights are off and the TV screen is mostly black. If you move the magic remote around the screen the screen lights up vertically in sections. There are 5 or so strips that illuminate very slightly when the remote cursor is moved across the screen. This is also noticeable if say for instance there is a loading wheel in the centre of the screen. When the wheel spins and moves from one side or strip of the screen it lights that strip up.

This problem doesn't make the TV unusable but is really annoying if watching in low light.

Did you ever find a fix for the flashing?

Cheers
      Zig

7. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,305
      Hi Zig,

Never fixed this odd issue, But have got used to it now!

The other issue you speak of will just be the LED's lighting up, I do not use the magic remote so not something that will be an issue for me.