John Lewis 3 year warranty

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up I bought 2 iPad Air 2s today from JL and they are doing a 3 year warranty from today. Sorry if everyone knows this already.

I had such crap service from John Lewis last year when I returned my Air I made a conscious effort to avoid them this year and went straight to Apple direct.

Two years from Apple is probably worth more than 3 years from JL anyway, IMO.

You are talking about the eu law. I have heard good things about JL. Every company has some bad press. Not everyone can be perfect.

I bought a 128gb air 2 from JL today after noticing the 3 year warranty. Was on my to Currys with the 5% discount but when I noticed the change to 3 years I went back to JL. Must be a change today as I had been checking JL for stock for the last week.
Also have submitted a Currys 5% discount price match as well since they are guaranteeing a price match for today.
Good day all round.

Last edited:
2 years? It's 1 year unless you have AppleCare.

Apple are accepting their SoGA obligations now as being 2 years, but only for devices sold direct. If you buy elsewhere they will refer you to your retailer after 12 months, but will assist their own customers for month 13-24.

AppleCare isn't the big deal it used be, other than AppleCare+ for accidental damage.

Apple are accepting their SoGA obligations now as being 2 years, but only for devices sold direct. If you buy elsewhere they will refer you to your retailer after 12 months, but will assist their own customers for month 13-24.

AppleCare isn't the big deal it used be, other than AppleCare+ for accidental damage.
That's interesting and worth knowing.
Thanks

I bought a 128gb air 2 from JL today after noticing the 3 year warranty. Was on my to Currys with the 5% discount but when I noticed the change to 3 years I went back to JL. Must be a change today as I had been checking JL for stock for the last week.
Also have submitted a Currys 5% discount price match as well since they are guaranteeing a price match for today.
Good day all round.

Let me know how you get on with the citrus match. I just tried doing the £20 code curry one and Jl won't accept codes for price match

I saw this earlier and after picking up an Air 2 64GB WiFi from Apple last night I now find myself wondering if I should take it back and opt for one from JL with a 3 year warranty. I see they also offer accidental damage for an extra £30.

I've never bought anything from JL so have never experienced their warranties but hear good things.

The 2 year thing with Apple does sound interesting though be good to see it in print.

Let me know how you get on with the citrus match. I just tried doing the £20 code curry one and Jl won't accept codes for price match
iPad turned up today. Thankfully no issues so far.
JL confirmed price match request and have passed it on to the appropriate dept.
Thank fully I gave them a screen grab with Currys price.
If all fails, no harm, the 3 years warranty was my priority.
I'll let you know the eventual outcome.

Reply came yesterday. They declined price match as they do not include voucher discounts
Was worth a try I suppose. But very pleased with the 3 year warranty

As i work for JL i'll just confirm that we do the 3 year extended warranty more often these days now and tend to alternate it with 3 year guarantees on the Mac range.

Do you know if it's possible to add the £30 accidental damage cover after purchase? I received my iPad 2 days ago and am wondering why the hell I didn't opt for that for 3 years cover.

I am really disappointed with John Lewis for increasing their warranty from 2 to 3 years less than 2 weeks after the launch of iPad Air 2.
I bought an Air 2 on Launch day from John Lewis because i know they provide excellent customer service and had a 2 year warranty as standard, but was surprised to see only 10 days later(maybe less) that they had increased the warranty to 3 years.
I e-mailed them asking about this, but the response from 2 different people was that they could not increase my 2 year warranty, but they would accept a return and replacement as long as my iPad was unused.
Obviously my iPad has been used otherwise why be so quick to buy on launch day, so this was of no use.
I made the point that in fairness to all the 3 year warranty really shoud have took effect on launch day for the Air 2, but JL never gave a response to this precise point.
I have had good service from JL in the past, but i cant help feeling disappointed and a little let down by them on this occasion.

Last edited:
It's simply a promotion and the timing of which is their prerogative. JL offered the same thing last year. In fact my advice to wait a few weeks for the JL 3-year promotion instead of buying on release day was spot on it turns out

It's simply a promotion and the timing of which is their prerogative.
Of course its their perogative, but to do it so close to a major event like the launch of the Air 2 basically amounts to a slap in the face for their customers who bought in the first week of release.

You said they offered the same thing last year....im assuming that was after the launch of the Air, so do you know how long the 3 year warranty promotion ran for on that occasion?

Last edited:
According to the JL website the promotion ends on 26th Nov 2014.

It's all marketing anyway because you still need to show manufacture defect.

It's all marketing anyway because you still need to show manufacture defect.

Surely not as they are making the guarantee a part of the sale. Guarantees add to your rights under consumer law otherwise for most guarantees we would have to demonstrate that the fault is a manufacturing defect after 6 months to comply with EU law. That's normally not the case and so long as you haven't dropped\damaged\abused the item then the retailer would have to comply with the terms of the guarantee.

Chuck is correct.....and John Lewis customer service is normally very good whenever there is a problem with anything they have sold.
It would be unrealistic to expect the customer to prove a manufacturing defect.
As long as its not been abused then the main point is - is it operating correctly or not, and if not it will either be replaced or repaired.

I still think JL should have applied this 4 week extended warranty promotion period from launch of the Air 2 though. Not just because it would have directly benefitted me, but i believe it would have been the right thing to do instead of waiting till a week or so after launch.

The John Lewis guarantee covers manufacture defects. The John Lewis guarantee does not cover accidents or misuse. That JL are accepting genuine exchange / repair or return claims at face value quickly is fine. That does not invalidate the previous statement and serves only to demonstratethe process.

The John Lewis guarantee covers manufacture defects. The John Lewis guarantee does not cover accidents or misuse. That JL are accepting genuine exchange / repair or return claims at face value quickly is fine. That does not invalidate the previous statement and serves only to demonstratethe process.

I don't follow your last sentence :confused: I did mention that it wouldn't cover accidents. That would be usually covered if you bought additional Warranty that cover accidental damage. Warranty and guarantee are different though can be related.

The John Lewis guarantee covers (like most guarantees, though not all are transferrable)

What does the guarantee cover?
Our guarantees provide full cover against mechanical breakdown through normal use. This means that if your item develops a fault during the guarantee period, we'll arrange for it to be repaired free of charge, including all parts and labour. Your guarantee is transferable with ownership, so if you give or sell the item to someone during the guarantee period, it's still covered.

The difference between this and the SOGA is you don't have to prove a manufacturer defect existed when it was new before they will repair the unit.

Taken from the Apple website which is in line with the SOGA:-

Any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6 month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer.

Take an example say my screen fails on my shiny new iPad 18 months in, how do I prove it was a manufacturing defect. If they wanted to be really bad about it they could demand I get an independent assessment to establish the cause and point to something e.g. not enough solder on the main board. John Lewis however would take it, check its not damaged\abused and then offer to repair it.

Last edited:
I returned an iPad Air 2 yesterday to the Apple Store in favour of one purchased from John Lewis purely due to the extended warranty and an issue I had with Apple 2 years or so ago.
I had an iPad 2 which had always been in a case, never dropped or abused and it failed to charge after 14 months. I took it back to the Apple Store hoping for a little good will but that fell on deaf ears. I swapped numerous emails with them but they stood firm. In the end I had to sell the iPad as faulty and purchase a new one.
I quite enjoyed giving my reason for return yesterday!

Because of the JL offer of 3 years warranty I'm going to order one tonight along with the 3 year insurance to cover if I damage it,seems very good for only an extra £30.

I'm coming from an ipad 2 but would like to know if the ipad air 2 is worth the extra over the ipad air ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom