1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis 1 RicherSounds 0

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bish, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Just wanted to let you people know that if you are prepared for a "fight" then you can still walk away with a cracking deal from John Lewis. Having read many of the threads on this forum on the best place to buy a plasma from i narrowed it down to John Lewis and RicherSounds.

Having decided on the Panny 42"W5, i began my ring round and price match fight. JL changed their policy for the 42" in January, they no longer sell the screen ONLY, you have to buy it in the package with the tuner and tuner card for a whopping in store price of £4799.99....obviously way too much...

To cut a very long story short i eventually managed to get JL to price match items individually, they matched the in store price from RicherSounds £3299.99 for the screen and PRC's price for the tuner and tuner board £395 + £50, for a total of £3744.99 including delivery and the 4 additional years guarantee....(all arrived on JL headed paper the next day, and was all in stock - just awaiting the all important CC details)

All last week it was niggling me that i was having to pay out £495 for something i don't want (tuner+card) as i could use that money to buy my Nokia mediamaster, desktop stand and JS plasma VGA converter....I know i would get the warranty but i would also be willing to take the risk...after talking it through with a friend on Friday night we decided i should take that risk and go to our local RicherSounds in the morning and make a purchase...

On arrival the store was heaving, eventually got to the front of the queue and oh how the young mans eyes lit up when i said i wanted to buy a nice new shiny plasma....he checked for availability, said they were showing over 100 in the warehouse and it would be delivered within 7 days...great i thought...just as i was handing over the plastic i thought - i'd better check its a "B" model, as this forum has born threads of dirty "EX" models turning up on doorsteps around the country...the assistant couldn't confirm that it would be a "B" model and said i'd have to wait until Monday before he could confirm with their purchasing dept...I said i had made a 30 Mile round trip today especially to purchase the screen and that i wanted to pay today as they don't let you buy plasmas over the phone and because of commitments it would be a further 2 weeks before i could next get back into the store...Why should i spend another chunk of my next free weekend making a 30 mile round trip back to the same store just because they cant confirm what they are advertising is correct???!!!??....anyway started to get very frustrated at this point and then something told me i shouldnt take the plunge with these guys, they have a hot customer in front of them desperate to buy a £3200 plasma screen and they cant even close the sale!!!....i thought, BLOW this, im off to John Lewis.

Called JL from the car on the way home, made the payment and they confirmed that my nice new panny w5 will be delivered on Thurday....i know its £495 more and im paying for a tuner that im not gonna use but peace of mind, 4 years additional guarantee and never having to go back into RicherSounds is well well worth it........

and all done without stepping one foot into a John Lewis store..

2. Hurricane59

Hurricane59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting Thread,
    R.E John Lewis i am currently very close to buying a plasma but JL dont sell them online (not that i can find anyway) do you ring them and get a quote? My nearest store is miles away.

3. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hurricane 59,

You are correct, JL do not sell plasmas on-line. I started by calling a few JL stores in my area and then went from there.

4. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I visited JL first to view the plasma to help me choose which one I wanted. I then later did the price match by phone, the only conditions were that the alternate shop had to have a store front and the item had to be in stock so that a definite delivery date could be given. The store they price matched was Hi-spek, but it did take a couple of days for JL to get back to me to confirm they would match the Hi-spek price.

5. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 37" panasonic plasma i got from JL was a TH37PW5BX

It is a british model (hence the "B") but doesn't come with any terminal board (hence the "X") which wasn't a problem anyway because I'm using the tuner.

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I do wish that these stores would get their facts straight.

I was browsing through a JL store (Bluewater) one or two weeks ago and queried if they could supply Plasma models that didn't include a tuner, such as the Pioneer 433MXE and the equivalent Panasonics.

The gentleman I spoke to said that that this wasn't a problem. What's the betting that if I called to get a Price Match on such a unit I'd be told "Sorry sir, we can't supply those". :(

Grr!