John Carter Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Disney took us to Mars … but it seems that very few people actually enjoyed the trip!

Except for me, of course, and I’ve taken the ride quite a few times since the movie first opened. So now that John Carter has proved to be a box-office and cultural catastrophe, let’s look again at one of Cinema’s most undeservedly ridiculed and maligned large-scale spectacles on 2D Blu.

Written by Tarzan-boy, Edgar Rice Burroughs, way back in 1912, the phenomenal pulp heroic cliffhangers chronicling Civil War hero Captain John Carter’s adventures on the red planet, have been in the DNA of almost every SF or fantasy yarn that has come along since then. Superman, Conan, Flash Gordon, Planet of the Apes, Dune, Star Wars, Stargate and Avatar are the big hitters so colossally influenced by the concepts that Burroughs just hurled onto the page in colourful fever-dream momentum over a...

Read the full review...

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review it sums up my feelings on this film. So badly marketed I would think a few Disney execs lost their jobs, I enjoyed this and wil pick it up when it drops into the bargain bin in a few weeks.

cmdrmarc

"After one of the genre’s biggest hitters dropped the ball so badly with his hotly anticipated return to the universe that made his name..."

Are you talking about Lucas or Scott? You best be talking about Lucas!

Chris McEneany

"After one of the genre’s biggest hitters dropped the ball so badly with his hotly anticipated return to the universe that made his name..."

Are you talking about Lucas or Scott? You best be talking about Lucas!

Aye, it could be either of 'em, couldn't it?

I think u know who I was I was getting at, though, don't you? ;)

Cheers,

Chris McEneany :devil:

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
I've seen 'John Carter' twice since getting the Blu-ray Chris (2D of course, I will not watch 3D conversions) and I absolutely love it. Why wasn't this film more popular? How does this bomb and 'The Avengers' take £1.5 billion at the box office? In the immortal words of William Goldman - "In the film industry, nobody knows anything."

bertplucker

I haven't read the ERB book this is based on but I imagine that spent a lot of time endlessly and tediously going on about a wedding as well. The rest of it minus the ludicrous jumping and wedding plot was great.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Great review ..I also really enjoyed this movie to my only gripe has to be the screenplay in some areas other than that it was great fun i only hope the B2 blu will be as good as this one. I for one will talking the trip back to Barsoom with or without another movie.

Alan_Be

I have to say I love this film, it's my favorite film of the year, even ahead of "The Avengers", it's got everything, love story, war, epic bad guy, epic set pieces, epic everything...however...

Why, for the love of God, why did they go with that prologue on Mars?,I know the books and I was confused!, what chance do you have if you're new to this?

Ditch the prologue, leave the Therns a mystery and get the information with John Carter, you don't need it.

I'd love to know if removing it was suggested and if so why it was rejected (if it was because it cost millions then put it in a flashback later)

Stick with the original narrative, no need to try to add needless confusion

toddy28

I really enjoyed this and cant under stand why people hated it so much with out even seeing it

I watched in in 3d at home on my projector and the 3d has been done really well for a conversion

i would never watch a conversion before captain america and they did that so well i changed my rule about watching conversions and will now give them a chance for 15 mins before switching to 2d , i do beleave that they are getting good at the conversions and putting some time and effort in to it :thumbsup:

but still no where good at true 3d

Last edited:

Nelviticus

I haven't read the ERB book this is based on but I imagine that spent a lot of time endlessly and tediously going on about a wedding as well. The rest of it minus the ludicrous jumping and wedding plot was great.

No, the wedding was only a small bit near the end of the book. Dejah Thoris thinks John Carter is dead so agrees to marry Sab Than to avert a war between Helium and Zodanga.

Can't wait to see this again with my fanboy hat off. Thanks for the review.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom