John Carpenter's The Thing - part 2

Lex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just heard that John Carpenter is about to begin production on The Thing 2.
I suppose it was always gonna happen, but when was the last time Carpenter made a half decent film? Not holding out much hope for this being any good...

Do us a favour Universal and re-master an anamorphic version of The Thing on dvd and DON'T ruin things with a poor sequel.

DON'T ruin things with a poor sequel

I'll second that. Problem is that as we've seen, he is well capable of this.............'Escape From LA' anyone? :(

Dean

Not seen a decent film from him in a very long time. The thing is one of the best sci fi films i've ever seen, with great ending. Don't think he should be guilding the lilly with a sequel.

Perhaps he should get Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy on board!

Actually, the best thing he could do, IMO, is to put Jack Burton as the main character. Although this may confuse some people.

Originally posted by Deansimm
hmmm, think i'd prefer the sequel to keep a serious tone :)

Really? I think it's the humour that separates JCs good films from the bad ones.

Really? I think it's the humour that separates JCs good films from the bad ones

Suppose its all down to opinion, but i cant remember too much humour in 'the thing' or 'escape from new york' - two of my favourites.

Dean

but i cant remember too much humour in 'the thing' or 'escape from new york'

The bit where the guys are all tied to the chairs while The Thing is tied next to them? Man that is one of the funniest moments in film history?!?!

Escape from New York is ridiculous all the way through! Ernest Borgnine with an eye patch.... lol "You can call me Snake" as his catchline.

The Fog and Halloween lack humour, but the Thing and Escape are full of it.

Originally posted by Sinzer
Escape from New York is ridiculous all the way through! Ernest Borgnine with an eye patch.... lol "You can call me Snake" as his catchline.

Ummm how do I say this?:D

Originally posted by Sinzer
Man that is one of the funniest moments in film history?!?!

I don't understand your punctuation. Are you being sarcastic?
I think this particular scene is very funny the way it's played. Also, just about anything the stoner says. The last few films Carpenter made had none of this in them

The Thing is a near perfect film.one of my alltime favourites.it should be left to stand on its own.

Obviously it can't continue from where the first one finished..

so...let me think.......

The Thing rampages in a big city!

That's the usual kop out (ala Predator and Jurassic Park etc)

Hard to explain ......

?!?!?!?!?!

In this context, it is basically saying "I think this is a really funny, Do you not find it funny? wow I can't believe you don't find it funny!". It is not sarcasm, more just shortening the sentance, the ?! basically means you are asking the question followed by the fact that you are shocked by the answer they have alraedy given.

Hope that makes sense?!?!

The more you do the more shocked you are!

Sorry I play too many online games, it's true form should really be omfg d00d!?!1?1??!?!11?!

:laugh:

According to Harry @ Aintitcool:

Then I called up John [Carpenter] to see what he was up to. Turns out that the story is COMPLETELY FALSE. John is not directing THE THING 2. There is no THE THING 2 with him doing it. He told me that the last thing he heard was that Universal was looking to make a SCI FI CHANNEL Miniseries - and apparently he wasn't doing anything on that. So what is John up to? Oh, he's playing around with a few things, but nothing that he's ready to start talking about yet. So let it be known, this THING 2 rumor is total b*ll*cks!

Take that with a pinch of salt or not.

Sounds true enough I suppose. I got the info from a report on Fox News Channel...

The sad thing is, if ever there was a film that could carry a sequel, or set up so perfectly for one at the end, it's the thing. Assuming it picked up exactly where the last one left off, and not months or years later in the middle of NY :rolleyes:

But you just know it's gonna be poorly written, naff concept, appeal to the widest possible market, cert 12 garbage :(

On saying that though, I did read an interview with Carpenter a few months ago where he said he'd had an amazing idea for a sequel for years, but didn't thing any of the studios would have the guts to make it. So if that's the one that's finally been given the green light (assuming it has been givent he green light in view of harry's comemnts) you never know...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom