1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Satriani SACD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rnjones, Jul 21, 2003.

1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking all over the net today to order Strange Beautiful Music the latest Joe Album. It is on CD of course but there is a Multichannel SACD as well. Got some great reviews. Can only find it on DVD4Music for £19.99.

Call me a tight wad but I am not paying that:mad:

Not on play, cdwow, tower, amazon.co.uk.

Anybody got it? Is it good?

Any ideas where I can get it at a more sensible price?:confused:

Rog

2. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
  3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one, Ta.
    Rog

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get "Surfing With The Alien" and forget the rest.It's all down hill from there.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Got to say, I think 'Surfing with the alien' is just guitar w*****g.
    Yeah, he can play, look at me , look what I can do :boring:

It lacks soul. In some ways its not unlike a hi fi demo disc, "listen to that garage door opening, it sounds so real":rolleyes: great if you like the sound of garage doors:rolleyes:

If the rest of the albums are worse...............:boring:

I just dont get it, I play guitar, I read the guitar mags, I love music, but after one listen, that album stayed hidden in a dusty corner.......... along with my Hi Fi news test record :thumbsdow

6. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're actually right in a lot of ways Karkus.I bought a lot of this type of album when I first started playing guitar(Satriani,Vai,Friedman,Becker,Cyrka)and don't listen to any of them now!

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have a Santriani album, bought at the same time as 'surfing'...guess where that one is ? same place as Vai s album passion and Warfare ,also filed under albums I wished I hadnt bought.

I should have learned, once bought Steve Howes album :rolleyes:

Virtuoso guitarists should stick to performing other peoples music, its like the brush pretending to be the artist:thumbsdow

Repeat after me...............I shall not buy another etc etc

8. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend that is amazing on guitar,he even attended the Guitar Institute in London for a year.Problem is he sits there and does all this blistering legato run stuff(sounds like a disease!)and I'm thinking "Yes,thats technically brilliant,but you're boring me s***less!".Part of that is the green eyed monster,if only I had half his playing skills,but when you play like that you have to realise you're probably the only one being entertained by it!

9. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand some of the points made above. I have surfing with the Alien, Flying in a Blue Dream (dodgy singing) & The Extremist, and they all have their good bits and average bits.

However compared to most of the easy listening R&B b*ll*ks around for the last few years, Give me Joe S, Dave Gilmour and co every minute of every day.

I will let you know what the SACD is like when I get it.

Rog.

p.s How did dull, repetitve "soul" music get to be called R&B. There certainly isnt any blues in it. Actually its an insult to Blues musicians, I reckon

10. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,404
    Satriani is fantastic! The Extremist is probably my fav, well tied with Surfing..

He has got soul, its not just scales and blinding speed. There is melody, groove and feeling to his stuff. But if its not your cup of tea, then you'll never like it. To me he's the best of his kind out there as he does it right, whereas other do just sound like they're w**king off!

Have you seen him live? Live, in the right environment he's great. A small(ish) club where you can just chill, kick back and let him rip!

Vai is demented, and a very talented artisit. To me his the Hendrix of today in that he does things with and to the guitar that others wouldn't dream of.

And as for Stevie Ray Vaughan.........!!!!!!!!

11. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SRV, defo on that. Its very sad he isnt still around.

Rog

12. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,404
    Just been watching SRV live at Austin City Limits DVD - my god is he good!

13. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw Satriani on the Extremist tour at Birmingham NEC,hardly an intimate setting.Nice to be able to say I've been to see him,but not something I would make the effort to attend again.

14. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,404
    I saw him in Wembley for the G3 tour and the Crystal Planet one - same thought here in that it was not the best setting. However I saw him at the Academy in Birmingham on the latest tour and it was a different story. Small venue, but an absolutely great gig. much more intimate and better sound. Great vibe too.