Joe Fernand - Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Juiceloose, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Joe,

I've been reading some of the items on plasma and you seem to be quite an expert on them.

I wish to purchase a plasma tv but know very little about them. My room is quite small so I've been looking at the new Philips 32PF9964 with tuner and stand.

Having seen the unit on display in Comet and Curry's I'm pretty impressed with the picture. Given your knowledge on the subject can you please advise me on the following:

1. Do you have any expericence with this model and if so is it a good unit.

2. Are plasma TV's reliable by and large or prone to faults.

3. I have a Denon AVR3802, Mission FS2AV and Toshiba SD220 DVD player (DVD player being delivered this Saturday). What is the best method of connecting this lot up given that the Denon receiver won't be sat beneath the plasma tv. The DVD could go beneath the TV or with the receiver.

4. I can get the plasma for £3000. Would you know if this price is reasonable. One of high street electrical chains is selling it for £4499 but they are nearly always overpriced anyway.

5. Would I be better spending half this on a 32" widescreen CRT unit such as the new Philips with pixel plus.

Apologies for addressing this message to you but I figured if anybody might be able to help it would be you.

Many thanks,

Steve.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,192
    Juiceloose

I tend to avoid the expert status - I've still got lots to learn about plasma and related products :)

Not had too much hands on experience with the Philips 32" displays - the few times I have seen it I was disappointed; it did not have the look of the best of the 37" or 42" panels from Panasonic, NEC or Fujitsu.

Current 32" panels are still 'first generation' panels I guess so maybe a way to go before they really start to perform well - the big manufacturers see 32" as the magic number that will unlock huge mass market sales but strangely the best selling brands have still not launched into this market as yet.

The plasma displays that we use and sell from Pioneer, NEC and Panasonic are very reliable - the fault rate is tiny compared to most products; they are not perfect and there have been the odd 'batch' problem with power supplies though these are quickly dealt with by the dealer/manufacturer. Notice too that the manufacturers are offering full in home with loan replacement warranties on 42" panels for around £350.00 per year - they would not be offering this if they thought they had lots of repairs to deal with.

I would be tempted to size up to a Panasonic 37" panel, which is very good, or maybe your idea of a £1500 CRT for now and await the next generation of 32" panels due out early next year would be prudent.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Joe

3. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Joe,

Thanks for your prompt response and advice.

Much appreciated,

Steve.