Job offer/acceptance 'protocol'

rousetafarian

Reaction score
Morning,

As mentioned in another thread I have just completed 8 x weeks garden leave, and as of last week found myself technically unemployed (for the first time since 1995).

Anyway, I had a successful interview with a new-ish start up company yesterday and found out late last night that the CEO wants to meet me later today in their offices with "a view to making an offer".

So far so good, the chap who interviewed me yesterday had only joined the company 5 weeks ago, but I've done my background on the owners, Company House checks etc and they appear to be financially sound.

Something is nagging at the back of my mind, in that it's all happening a little too quickly if that makes sense?

Now to my point, the job was advertised on LinkedIn @ £x/annum + car, 28 days leave, pension and crucially profit share and during the 1st interview salaries were not discussed.

I want the job, as I think it will be an exciting opportunity, getting in early and knuckling down in a growing market so how do I play the 'salary' question?

Do I either go in armed with my last P60 and prove last year's earnings or listen to what they offer and then try to negotiate? I am not so good at BS or blagging and don't have any other offers on the table, but I do know my market value

Thoughts, and finally I should expect an official offer in writing, correct?

How would you play it?

I would get a figure in mind that you would be happy with and know is at least the "going rate" and then ask them what the salary offer is.

If it comes in below....haggle and say you were thinking more of <the figure you have in mind>

If it comes in above...haggle and say you were hoping of more like <their offer + a bit>. The "bit" is dependent on how lucky you feel :)

I would say that they would make first offer a tad a lower than they would actually settle on. The worst can happen on that is they say im afraid not.....but as it's higher than the number you had in mind....just accept there and then.

I think you should definitely have a lower limit in mind that you won't accept less than. It really helps to be firm in your own mind about this before you start negotiating. Then start high, and you never know, you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Good luck.

I think both replies are good advice.

I don't want to blow the opportunity by being too greedy so will offer them a £5k range from £x to £x+5k, when I in fact I'd happily take '£x-5k' so we have £10k to negotiate within.

See you over the new car thread hopefully!

I may be wrong as I'm not much of a businessman, but I imagine as they are a start-up they're either feeling flush with investment money, or incredibly tight and maxed out - gauge the mood as they may give you the money you want but see you as an expensive initial outlay.

Factoring the other benefits, is another consideration. The commute to the HQ is far easier, and quicker than other opportunities I've seen plus what the hell have I got to lose?

If I was still employed, then maybe i would feel in a better position to negotiate but this mortgage isn't paying itself so if I walk away with the figure in mind I'll be so happy.

I wouldn't say anything. Let them fall in love with you and then if you don't like the offer ask for more.

You're playing a game here where you can either let them make an offer which you may or may not accept or, be honest, and state what you want..

Either way I would not let that come up in interview. I would deal with if they are happy with you.

You are not required to prove income.
As regards information from your previous employer, all they will supply is your period of employment and if you have had any formal warnings (if asked by the prospective employer).
Generally, take it a step at a time.

I may be miss reading your first post, but I'd re-iterate what some others have said and make sure you have an offer of employment before negotiating terms.

Following the 2nd interview later today, and quoting the CEO directly, "it is with a view to making an offer".

I will heed your advice and hopefully receive a written offer before negotiations commence.

Just got back home post-interview, and I need a big glass of wine - it was intense.

Towards the end the Director asked me my overall earnings for the last 3 years, I told him truthfully.

He then shared with me his business plan and financials and offered me £5k less than my last basic salary , plus expensed car/pension/health insurance/28 days holidays/profit share etc.

The opportunity seems really good, with huge earning potential and the timing is great, so now the negotiation dance begins.

He is meeting with his management team on Monday morning and will get back to me, hopefully with an offer by midday.

Overall not a bad situation to be in I guess!

Last edited:
"I told him truthfully" you dont get browny points for honesty, its business, he will try and pay you the least he can get away with, start high, settlle in the middle somewhere is how it should work if they value you at all.

"I told him truthfully" you dont get browny points for honesty, its business, he will try and pay you the least he can get away with, start high, settlle in the middle somewhere is how it should work if they value you at all.

I know that, and that is why I took the approach of punting the middle-ground, but as he said I have caused him a problem in that he didn't plan to meet me and has to create a role for me (possibly BS).

My middle-ground punt fell on deaf ears, so perhaps he has reservations. Thinking about it, I don't need a company car, as I have my own so that fact could be used in my favour i.e. instead of £x salary + car, take an extra £5k instead?

Would that be 'cheaper' for the business, me not taking a company car?

Don't undersell yourself. It sounds like he's done a good job on selling the company and position to you, but stick to what you want. You were all chirpy about the company car earlier so stick with it. 5k isn't a massive amount if they want you

The main thing is that you didn't mess it up.
What about the other factors - kind of work you enjoy, atmosphere etc.
I left my previous place because they had no idea about test, it was embarrassing. Plus the egos and bitching.
Where I am now is more intense but the management attitude is great and there is recognition when you rise to the challenge, very satisfying.
Shares would give you an incentive to stay with the company so the company car shouldn't be an issue.

Just got back home post-interview, and I need a big glass of wine - it was intense.

Towards the end the Director asked me my overall earnings for the last 3 years, I told him truthfully.

He then shared with me his business plan and financials and offered me £5k less than my last basic salary , plus expensed car/pension/health insurance/28 days holidays/profit share etc.

The opportunity seems really good, with huge earning potential and the timing is great, so now the negotiation dance begins.

He is meeting with his management team on Monday morning and will get back to me, hopefully with an offer by midday.

Overall not a bad situation to be in I guess!
Good luck mate, I've just improved my employment status with potential and it feels good, here's to some Monday happiness :)

Sounds like minimal holiday days being offered.
Twenty days plus eight public holiday days.
Or is it twentyeight days plus eight public holiday days?

Sounds like minimal holiday days being offered.
Twenty days plus eight public holiday days.
Or is it twentyeight days plus eight public holiday days?

Do you know what, that is a bloody good question and due to the intense nature of the interview I forgot to ask about that.

One thing is damned sure, if I get an offer I will insist it is in writing detailing all of the terms and conditions. 20 days plus statutory bank holidays is poor IMO, I would anticipate 24/25 + 8

Even though I am currently out of work, I expect two offers from different companies one of which I interviewed for a month ago and the other yesterday.

Two very different companies in the same market albeit at opposite ends i.e. one is a newish start-up, the other well established multi-billion $ affair.

Let's see what Monday brings!

20 plus stats is getting more common in my experience, at the moment I am lucky that I started on 26 and get an extra 1 every 5 year's, jobs that give things like that are getting few and far between in my opinion.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom