1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jmlabs Vs B&w

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by unclej, Dec 22, 2003.

1. unclej

unclej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all....

Does anyone have an opinion on which speakers are better.
    JMLABS or B&W...Let's say B&W 601 S3 or 602 S3 compared to the equal for JMLABS....

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I run JM Labs 710 floor standers at home, when I bought them I compared them to the Acoustic Energy Evo 3's, and they came out much better. I used to work for a dealer that sold both aforementioned and B&W, so had plenty of time to compare them.

I find the JM sound to be more integrated, a bit smoother than the B&W's. I'd personnally choose them over B&W, but you best go and listen to them first to see what you hear.

Regards

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thats a difficult choice....2 very good,highly regarded manufacturers with a lot of research behind them.....my own preference is for B&W,but it's just that...my opinion.....as ReTrO has said,the only way to decide is to listen to both in your price range,and then decide,preferably in your own home.

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unclej, which are better?
    those that better match your amplification and source!

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Dont mess around with either.....go straight for the main ones................
    MACKIE 624, powered.....same size as the 601 but 10X the performance.

BEST speaker ever........!(runs away quickly...)

Altough i have not used many speakers....went from Aiwa Stack system to B&W to Mackies......so who i'm i to say....:D :D :hiya:

Better get out of here i think....:)

6. Mike430

Mike430

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See if you can take home a demo of each. I have heard both and my preference was JMLab...but everyone has their own opinions. In store demos are good, but borrowing both and going head to head in the room they will be played will assure you that you made the right decision. You can also see how your amplifier effects them both. GL

7. mvern

mvern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Second that Chris.

I have Mackie HR824s and they spit on anything around their price range. The highs are crisp and super rich in detail and the bass is simply stunning due to the 12inch passive radiator hidden at the back (9inch for 624s). I have the -2dB cut just to take the edge off the alloy tweeters. They are active so the amp is perfectly matched for optimal performance.

I work in film/tv sound post production and have heard some of the best speakers in the world and for their price, size and sound quality they beat pretty much anything (apart from some ATC models).

They are also extremely accurate with a completely flat responce from about 50Hz to 20kHz +1.5dB!!

If you really want to get serious twin them up with Mackie's HRS120 sub (perfectly matched) and you are in speaker heaven.