JMLabs Micro Utopia......Opinion

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need an honest opinion here about the speakers I just purchased......the sound fantastic with my A10se receiver, cant wait till I drive them properly, wow ! .. and I thought the Nautilus 805's were special...... anyway...my misses laid a bombshell on me and said that they were monstrositous and ugly....erm, I dont think this pic does them justice but could you all give your opinion on the looks please, I know how I feel about them....please be honest...

microutopia.jpg

They are fugly, but I think you made a good choice. I'll be demoing some Electra 936s on Saturday, see how I like the JM Lab sound.

I take it you got them 2nd hand, good price? I am a bit confused though, you were desperately trying to get the N805 2nd hand, I thought it was a money thing, but you must have paid about the new cost of the N805 for the Micro Utopia 2nd hand. I'm guessing you got the older model rather than the new one with the Be tweeter which is supposed to be even better, and about £4,000 new :eek:

Your surround sound must be a mess though, 3 different speaker manufacturers!

ugly ? oh no :(

It was a money thing with the 805's as I wasnt looking to spend anymore than what I had/wanted to.....I was desperate to get them but I gave up looking after I found it impossible, or people looking for brand new prices for a 2nd hand/ex-dem set.

I have a far better speaker now which is why I justified paying the extra. These babies retail at £3800 new.

I didnt buy them new but I certainly didnt get them cheap either.

Forgot to comment on surround sound.....I'll be purchasing the micro utopia centre channel when I get the cash together then an amp to drive the fronts & centre.

Yes, I like the word fugly, very descriptive :)

I have seen worse, but they sure aren't pretty. I would get a better amp before a new centre, as good as the A10se is, they deserve something bettter. I would love to hear them for 2 channel music.

I've been spending a fair bit of money myself this week. Unfortunately not for the level of hi-fi you have just bought yourself into but still. Arcam CD72T last weekend and a Parasound 1205A this evening. :)

It wouldnt be the 1st thing that came into your mind on first impressions would it ? fugly ?

No, as I said, I've seen worse. Sorry, I should have realised you would be a bit sensitive about your new purchase. :) From the close up pictures I've seen, the quality of workmanship is very good which helps to mitigate the unorthodox design. If they were mine I'd probably have my eyes closed for listening anyway.

Real life pic.....not in its final resting place...its front driven so I may shuv it against the wall.

DSC000443.JPG

This is what the new one looks like. Not pretty, but has a look of quality about it. I believe these are the ones you have.

Some more pictures.

As expected it looks a lot better in real life than the other shots. With that I'm off to bed, look at the time! :eek:

Looks like you have a nice house mate.

Originally posted by Daneel
I have seen worse,

Really? :eek:

I don't think they'd even have been allowed through my front door, let alone into the living room. Each to their own though, and if you (and the missus) can put up with the looks, I'm sure they'll sound great.

Balders.

I think I've done 15 of those views aRCaM. I don't think views are unique users, just every time the page is loaded.

Definately ugly but irrelevant if they sound fantastic.

ugly but if it sounds good then the fact that they look like they were found on a skip dont matter;) ;)

I'd kill for them, so stop whinning about how they look :p :D

When speakers sound as good as the Micro's do, looks take the back seat I'm afraid. I do they they look quite nice though...

Gambit: I know, it does sound like im whinning. sorry :(
Ian : If you want to kill anyone you could kill the frenchman who came up with the weird desgin and color. hehe

I like them in piano black, but I could live with yours, I would have more problems with the green carpet and wallpaper, and my football team´s colour is green... :eek:

I dont like their sound though... :rolleyes:

Trust me, pictures don't do them justice - in person they really are stunningly gorgeous. The shape is a bit dumpy, but the sheer quality of the veneer and overall finish are able to make your jaw drop. Really gorgeous.

I imagine they also sound pretty good too, but that never seems to sway SWMBO.....

Dunc

They look pretty horrible to me, but if they sound good....;)

dunkyboy, you hit the hail on the head, pics dont do them justice at all.....my sentiments exactly, they are gorgeous.

Even with my A10se, they sound amazing....Cant wait till I can power them properly :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom