1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JmLab Chorus 716S - opinions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mentally, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are your thoughts about this model in specific and about the company in general?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Good speaker for the money, good finish to the cabinet. Sounds very clear/Bright not as bass heavy as the larger speakers in the range. Very good performance with female vocals and most classical music. Haven't heard any bad things about the company apart from the fact they're French.....:devil:

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thats a big downside :p
    Have you heard them play Rock and Trance\Dance?
    Does that patented tweeter has any advantage over all the other contenders?
    Finally, do you recommend any other speakers in this price range?

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Mentally,

They will certainly play rock and play it well. Depends a lot on what sound you're looking for. If you want earth shattering bass then I doubt they'll provide it.
    The patented tweeter has one big advantage for me and that's the fact that you can't push it in..... Besides that, yes it works well but it's technically no better than anything else in the price range, simply different.
    Others to take a serious look at in the price range are:
    Quad 21L, Monitor Audio Silver S6/8, PMC GB1. (bit pricier but worth it - Second hand or ex dem should be around £700)

5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't match it with a too bright receiver/amplifier, they are quite bright in the midrange! The sound they can produce is pretty damn good for the money though

6. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please give me some bright recievers\amp examples and some not bright (up to 400$).

What does a "bright" sound mean?

7. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A Marantz, Nad, Arcam or Rotel would be a good match...
    Other japanese than Marantz would be a bit bright... (opinions?)

I heard the 714s and found them very good :thumbsup: except for the lack of bass (for a floorstander)

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Mentally,
    I think everyones opinion differs slightly on what bright is. I would describe it as treble (high frequencies) sounding almost harsh and very 'in your face'. This matched with the right amps can sound exciting and very dynamic. The JMLABs tend to be very forward and bright sounding. Careful matching of neutral amps and CD players is important.
    Something from Densen, Rega or Exposure would be my initial choices.
    The best advice I can give you is to try them out with some of the amps that have been mentioned and see what you think. Take a long some of your favourite music and see if you like it. Bear in mind it may sound different in your home than it does in a demo room.

9. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I did test the speakers with music I know. Unfortunately I don't own normal speakers at home so it's kinda difficult to match. However, I did match them with the Wharfdale EVO 30 and the JMLAB 714 and they were the best.

The problem is that where I live I can't get any Densen, Rega or Exposure. I can only get the amps Falp suggested (and some HK, Denon, Audio Analogue and AMC).

My other (first hand) alternatives are: KEF Q5, Dali Concept 8, Klipsch RF10, B&W 602.5, Quad 620, Polk Audio RT1000i. I heard The B&W 602.5 and it lacked bass too. The RF10 is more of a movie speaker. Got 4 models I didn't get to hear yet. Hope to do it soon. I can get the Q7 from display at the same price, worth the risk?

In the amp category, I was thinking going for the Audio Analogue Primo or 2nd hand Marantz 10XX (oldie, don't know the exact model). I'm pretty sure the Marantz 10XX can handle the 716 (they aren't that good), and it costs 1/3 of the Primo. What do you think?

Thank you all for your help and patience.

10. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would probably go for a harmon kardon or marantz receiver with these speakers

11. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My brand advices are mainly for AVReceivers... for stereo amps it's still worth it :smashin:, but there are more brands, mainly english sounding...

12. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there is an update: I found the AMC 3050A and Paradigm Monitor 9 and I must say they sounded quite good together. A worthy competitor for the JMLAB 716 and Audio Analogue Primo?

13. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update #2: Polk Audio RT1000I sound too bad compared to the others. It is off the list.

So does anyone got any opinion about the Monitor 7 or 9 by paradigm?