JL restocking fee

JimBob1971

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of returning a tv to JL when there is nothing wrong with it? The website says they will charge between 10% and 20% for restocking, based on the condition of the item. However, when I phoned up to return my 40W2000 they insisted it would be 15%, without even asking about the condition of the goods. They said this is the standard rate for electrical goods.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Thanks,
James

If you have bought it online/over phone and it's within 7 days you can return the item, with it's original packaging and they must give a full refund.
There is no re-stocking fee applicable, it's part of the distance selling regulations. Moreover if it's been delivered to you rather than you pick it up they must also cover the cost of picking it back up.

Secondly, to apply a percentage fee to re-stock bears no resemblance to the costs incurred. JJust becuase it cost a grand to buy doesnt make it any more work to restock than say a 200quid fridge. Any fee they charge must be proportinal to the task they are charging you for.
Personally I would challenge them about it. Speak to the store manager directly.

Slim

You are wrong about one thing - if you have had it delivered to you, you must pay for the return shipping.

Unless it's covered by the Distance Selling Regulations, then actually they are under NO obligation whatsoever to offer any amount of refund unless the merchandise is faulty.

If they do offer such a service then it's quite reasonable to expect they will try to sell the item again, as pre-owned, and at a discount. Hence the re-stocking fee as a percentage.

Frankly, whether it's 10, 15 or 20%, if you've simply changed your mind, then (Distance Selling Regs apart) anything they offer, beyond a simple "no" is a bonus.

I know that isn't answering the question, and for that, I apologise. I just wanted to make observation on the second part of AudioSlim's response.

JL stores on the whole apply a standard 15% restocking fee to cover the cost of having to reduce the price of the product before it can be sold again(as we can no longer offer it for sale as brand new)

JL stores on the whole apply a standard 15% restocking fee to cover the cost of having to reduce the price of the product before it can be sold again(as we can no longer offer it for sale as brand new)

Fair enough, but if the product was purchased over the phone or online and then subsequently delivered, JL (or any store for that matter) cannot charge a "restocking fee" for items returned within the first 7 business days (starting on the day after delivery was made) - even if the packaging has been opened.

Just re-iterating the main points of the distance selling act.

You are wrong about one thing - if you have had it delivered to you, you must pay for the return shipping.

Actually, you are both right. Or wrong.

The DSRs say that the seller can only ask you to pay return shipping costs if they have made this clear in the original terms of sale. i.e. It's their option, but you must know in advance as this may influence you purchasing decision.

Actually, you are both right. Or wrong.

The DSRs say that the seller can only ask you to pay return shipping costs if they have made this clear in the original terms of sale. i.e. It's their option, but you must know in advance as this may influence you purchasing decision.

Cool, I didn't know that.

Fair enough, but if the product was purchased over the phone or online and then subsequently delivered, JL (or any store for that matter) cannot charge a "restocking fee" for items returned within the first 7 business days (starting on the day after delivery was made) - even if the packaging has been opened.

Just re-iterating the main points of the distance selling act.

According to the distance selling regs, the customer may, at the retailers discretion be charged the direct cost of returning the goods.

According to the distance selling regs, the customer may, at the retailers discretion be charged the direct cost of returning the goods.
Only if they specify this in their T&Cs and make this information known to the customer at the time of purchase. However, the OP hasn't made clear whether he got the TV from JL Online or direct from a shop, in which case this is all irrelevant.

Thanks for the replies guys., I knew I'd be charged, I've had the tv for 20 days. I just wasn't sure if this 15% figure was off the top of someone's head, or was policy.

Cheers,
James

Thanks for the replies guys., I knew I'd be charged, I've had the tv for 20 days. I just wasn't sure if this 15% figure was off the top of someone's head, or was policy.

Cheers,
James
I'm assuming you were using it for those 20 days, in which case I don't think you've got much to complain about, after all its not what they'd call "fully resaleable". If, on the other hand you had merely taken it out of the box, and then realised it wasn't for you and repackaged it immediately then you may have gotten away without any charge.

I understood you can get a refund or exchange on an item up to 28days after receiving it from JL as long as its in as new condition with packaging.

well thats how there website reads.

can't see anything about restocking fee

I was told, if you take it out the box and return it untuned in its box, there is no fee. If you just change your mind and don't like it and you have tuned it, I was told by JL Bristol they would charge me 10% as once it has been tuned they cannot just resell it.

I asked about it specifically before purchasing - that may be why they told me 10%.

I understood you can get a refund or exchange on an item up to 28days after receiving it from JL as long as its in as new condition with packaging.

well thats how there website reads.

can't see anything about restocking fee
It clearly mentions a restocking fee on their website. "If we find that the product has not been returned to us in fully resaleable condition, we reserve the right to refuse a refund on the item, or deduct up to 20% of the original selling price from the refund amount."

I'm assuming you were using it for those 20 days, in which case I don't think you've got much to complain about, after all its not what they'd call "fully resaleable". If, on the other hand you had merely taken it out of the box, and then realised it wasn't for you and repackaged it immediately then you may have gotten away without any charge.

I'm not complaining about being charged, thats fine, I was just wondering where the 15% came from, rather than say 10% or 20%. They haven't looked at the tv but quoted 15%. It could be in perfect nick, or completely scratched but they gave me a blind figure. Hence I wanted to see what others had been charged.

It clearly mentions a restocking fee on their website. "If we find that the product has not been returned to us in fully resaleable condition, we reserve the right to refuse a refund on the item, or deduct up to 20% of the original selling price from the refund amount."

but if the TV is in as new condition complete with all packaging as new and has been opened and used then it is still in perfectly resaleable condition and should not be subject to any fees at all.

i can understand a 20% fee if the packaging is missing or incomplete or items are missing such as remote or batteries or manuals etc.

but what exactly is "fully resaleable condition". it does not specify this on the website

but if the TV is in as new condition complete with all packaging as new and has been opened and used then it is still in perfectly resaleable condition and should not be subject to any fees at all.

i can understand a 20% fee if the packaging is missing or incomplete or items are missing such as remote or batteries or manuals etc.

but what exactly is "fully resaleable condition". it does not specify this on the website
It depends what you mean by used. Obviously if all you did was turn it on once then maybe you can get away with it but if you been using the TV fully for a couple of weeks then it can hardly be termed "as new" can it. If you bought a TV that you found out had been used and returned I'm sure you wouldn't want to have paid full price for it.

If I bought a TV that was "new" and seemed to be already opened and used before or anything like that I wouldn't be happy. When I expect NEW I expect NEW no seal broken the sellotape around the box not been touched etc etc. I would kick up alot of fuss if I found out it was used for 20days or 30mins and demand a new one immediatly.

Having it 20days I expect you will get a Restocking fee. Because they have to sell at a discount, as they probably can't send it back to manufactor or buying group because they are not faulty. So if they didn't charge restocking fee they be losing money on TV's that are returned after 20days and then take a hit. Which I few as fair because it was your choice to have it. Then you didn't want it so who's fault is that. It's not JL.

BYF, as per my previous post, if one can tell in any way that it's been used and not just unpacked and repacked, they are looking to defray their costs as they will resell it at a reduced price. This is what the JL AV manager told me, anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom