1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JL Price matching

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Cakeboy, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Cakeboy

Cakeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I considering buying a Sony KV32DX40 from John Lewis, and I'd like to try to get them to price match.

I tried this once before when buying a video, and they said they would have to have the details and do an 'investigation'. If successful they would refund the difference! They seemed to want me to buy first!

Has anyone price matched at JL, and got an on the spot deal or did you have to wait?

Cheers

2. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I did on a tv. They didn't even bother checking the price as I had printed out the ad. The price diff. was about £150 on a £2000 piece of equipment. Generally I would advise you to go on a quiet day and get them to do the match on the spot. Everyone seems to have a different story about the price match policy.

3. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got them to price match recently and it went through their “undersales” dept.

Basically I rang them and gave them the details of where was selling it cheaper and they got back to me about 5days later (by post) giving the price they would match. I then took the letter to the store when i went to order the TV.

They offer the price match service before and after you buy so I should think that if you try and buy it on the day and produce a printout they will charge you full price, and then refund you the difference once they’ve investigated. I should think it’s better to get them to investigate first and pay later.

The price I gave them originally didn’t include a stand or delivery so they added those on but it still came out as a great deal as they offer FREE 5yr guarantees on all new TVs.

Give your local store a ring and see.

Good luck.

4. Cakeboy

Cakeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alim,TommyP Thanks for that.

I suspect they response depends on how much discount you're trying to get, and how it compares to their margin.

Did you get the free 5 year warranty? If so is it any cop, or are there some dodgy conditions in the small print?

Cheers

5. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL in Bristol only match to mailorder that have a shopfront.
    I've had 2 matches on TV's and each was approx. 450 off 2000, they didn't even blink an eye, both took 3 days and I chased via phone, I was always very cheerie even when they seemed slow, they had as much difficulty getting through to get the price as I did initially, but it was all sorted.
    I thought this would effect their aftersales service to me but JL have been exceptional and I am a fussy bas**rd.
    I cant praise them highly enough, but if they don't get my Sony KV 36 sorted.................I'll be back!

6. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV arrives in 7 days so I don't know yet m8y. :D

I'll post any problems/issues as I find them.

7. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't had to use the tv warranty. However, various other things I've purchased thorugh them which had problems were resolved very satisfactorily.

8. Cakeboy

Cakeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wise to the 'shopfront' clause, I'm all prepared with my advert from 'premieravcentre'.

They've got the KV32DX40 for £799, can't seem to find it any cheaper unless anyone knows better?!

Wish I'd found this forum months ago.......

9. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

About 4 months ago I got JL in Bristol to do a price match for me, the only conditions were that the shop had to have a store front and the item had to be in stock so that a definite delivery date could be given.

I managed to get £1300 knocked off the JL Philips plasma price (£4295 reduced to £2991). The store I got them to match against was Hi-spek, the JL man did grit his teeth when the item was in stock and they had to price match!!

The main clauses that I could see in the 5 year warranty terms and conditions is that it doesn't apply to commercially used equipment, or if you accidentally damage the equipment (but household insurance should cover this), or 'misuse and abuse' (whatever that means?!).

Hope this helps,
    Pixie