JL have agreed to PM Richer Sounds for TX32LXD70 - Should I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.hack

Established Member
Reaction score
After not going for a huge amount of LCDs due to reported problems and having issues getting JL to PM, they have finally agreed to PM when I've requested it, in this case £600 for the TX32LXD70. Should I do it?

I kept trying to go with JL due to the 5 year free guarantee and reported 10/10 CS. The CS didn't seem so brilliant for me on the phone when they kept saying they wouldn't accept a TV back once opened without taking a 10% stocking fee, but...

I've done that exact pricematch, and I'm debating this as you are too. I'm very fussy about TV's also, I just hope I dont get a duffer.

All I can say with regard to their restocking fee, I thought that was 20%! That's what the website says anyway. But I imagine the only reason you would want to return this TV, seeing as its meant to be one of the best, is if there was a fault with it. In which case, JL would surely have to swap it over for you.

The other thing you could do and I think I'm gonna try and do also is get the thing delivered. Many people here have done that pricmatch and got free delivery aswell. I believe then you will be covered under Distance Selling Regulations, which means you will have 7 working days during which if you dont like the TV for whatever reason can cancel the order with no charge except the price of delivering it back to them which will probably be about £20.

I meant to ask what I'm supposed to say to avoid them demanding I pay for shipping. I'm quite sure they mention delivery charges on the letter when they agree to PM if they plan on charging you - They check your location when sending the letter. Don't take my word for it, my memory is bad at the best of times.

Btw, you're right about it being 20% now. It was 10% when I last tried to PM with them and got worried by that part of the T&Cs...

Well, what to do to avoid shipping charges, seems to be hit and miss ie: pot luck. Some people have avoided them without question, some haven't. I plan to phone up and say blah blah you've accepted the pricematch I'd like to get it delivered please here are my details. If they question that and say there's a del charge, say there's no mention of a del charge when I got the pricematch blah blah and say you have a couple of friends that have purchased this TV through a pricematch without charge. If they get funny, ask to speak to a manager. I'm sure they won't want to lose out on a sale due to chump change.

Basically, I just have to hope I get someone friendly and not an argumentative prick who would be happy to argue all day. I know JL are only meant to charge shipping when you're so many miles from the store...not sure how many.

I'm going to be iffing and butting forever if I don't force myself just to order a TV. Any TV could have problems, even the best of the best, so it's silly to just kep waiting for the ultimate 32" to come out. This is highly rated, I've got JL to PM and got a 5 year guarantee and (providing it powers up) has a 99.9% chance of being better than what I'm using at the mo.

...do you think I did a good job convincing myself? :rotfl:

Put it this way, if they insist on the charge it will be Richer Sounds charge for delivery which is £40. But if you really don't like the TV, worse off you'll be is about £60 which includes shipment to and from. But chances are you will really like it! Go for it. But I'm sure you'll be able to waive the charge anyway!

I've been reading the Panny 70 series thread for the last 40 minutes, seeing lots of people complaining about vertical white lines on motion. This wouldn't bother too much if it was just a freeview problem as I don't really bother with TV too much and only want this for DVD's and gaming, but it's troublesome since people have reported it being a problem on all sources. Always an extra problem...

There was me thinking the only issue with this set is the reported buzzing/whistling, nothing on the picture side. Still tempted to go through with it (providing JL don't charge shipping) just so I see the problem with my own eyes.

Hmm, now I'm starting to wonder if I should've got a PM with JL for the £500 Panasonic TX32LMD70 instead... The white lines issue seems to be a 100hz problem and, with the LMD70 being 50hz, this problem could be be avoided, with me £100 to the good. It's also a highly rated TV.

I hate making choices, I really do. :suicide:

As you said, the white lines issue seems to be a signal strenth issue not a TV issue. Also, the LMD uses the same budget panel as the Toshiba 32C3030, and think of all the negative comments that set receives. I'm sorry but you won't find a set with less negative comments and as many happy owners than the LXD, not even the Sony 32D3000 has less issues.

As you said, the white lines issue seems to be a signal strenth issue not a TV issue. Also, the LMD uses the same budget panel as the Toshiba 32C3030, and think of all the negative comments that set receives. I'm sorry but you won't find a set with less negative comments and as many happy owners than the LXD, not even the Sony 32D3000 has less issues.

You're acting like you own the set when you've already said you're trying to decide yourself. You must be a salesman in real life!

And, unless I made a typo, you mis-read what I said above. People have reported the white lines issue with DVD's and other sources, not simply freeview. It's assumed that it's a 100hz issue...I don't believe anyone has reported this with the LMD.

This review is what has made me go around in circles: http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Panasonic_TX32LMD70.htm
Aside from the 50hz vs. 100hz and the reviewer wondering if £100 is worth it, it's a very positive review. Not sure about the panel being the same as the cheapo Tosh, never looked at the cheap Tosh sets or read up about them.

This situation reminds of when I would only have so much pocket money to spend on games when I was younger; I'd go back and forth in the game shop for 30 mins before asking someone else to deicide for me! :rotfl:

You're acting like you own the set when you've already said you're trying to decide yourself. You must be a salesman in real life!

And, unless I made a typo, you mis-read what I said above. People have reported the white lines issue with DVD's and other sources, not simply freeview. It's assumed that it's a 100hz issue...I don't believe anyone has reported this with the LMD.

This review is what has made me go around in circles: http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Panasonic_TX32LMD70.htm
Aside from the 50hz vs. 100hz and the reviewer wondering if £100 is worth it, it's a very positive review. Not sure about the panel being the same as the cheapo Tosh, never looked at the cheap Tosh sets or read up about them.

This situation reminds of when I would only have so much pocket money to spend on games when I was younger; I'd go back and forth in the game shop for 30 mins before asking someone else to deicide for me! :rotfl:

Take note of the final line of that review... "Having compared the two screens side by side we think the extra investment is worth it"

Yup, but that's without putting this infamous white line issue into the mix.

Poorer panel + 50hz
vs.
Better panel + 100hz

^ Ignoring the white line thing, for £100 extra, the winner would obviously be the LXD70 for anyone who cares about quality.

I'm going to order this (LXD70) from JL on Monday morning to put an end to my indecision.

I've got the LXD70 tv, no white lines or buzzing here.

And of course the 100hz technology means no motion blur when watching sport or playing console games.

Fantastic tv in my opinion.:thumbsup:

Besides which, even if for some reason you did end up with a duffer which had white lines or buzzing, I'm sure JL would swap it out!

Besides which, even if for some reason you did end up with a duffer which had white lines or buzzing, I'm sure JL would swap it out!

If you're so sure, how come you aren't ordering one for yourself? ;)

Not sure if they're open tomorrow, will try and phone them then if they are.

I will be ordering one, next week! I'm waiting for Dixons to collect my LG 27LC2R that I'm not happy with! It's a fine set for most, but I am very picky! Soon as this is gone, I'm gettin the LXD.

I will be ordering one, next week! I'm waiting for Dixons to collect my LG 27LC2R that I'm not happy with! It's a fine set for most, but I am very picky! Soon as this is gone, I'm gettin the LXD.

What are your problems with your LG set? I've heard LG sets are known for having poor backlight.

Def gonna order the LXD70, I've decided and will now stand by my choice. Memories of my 2D PS2 games looked like on my LCD monitor made me decide to go the 100hz option.

Will let you know how I get on with my LXD70. My only fear ordering from JL, knowing the amount of returns they've had due to buzzing, is how high the chances will be that mine will have a bee trapped inside.

- White lines
- Buzzing
- Dead/stuck pixels
- Backlight bleed

^ Anything else I'm forgetting to check for? :suicide:

What are your problems with your LG set? I've heard LG sets are known for having a poor backlight

That's it really, the backlight. I've seen a lot worse, but the backlight is a little cloudy. There's a light patch in the top right corner and 2 tiny patches near bottom left. Most people wouldn't notice it I think, infact if the curtains are open and there's a lot of light in the room like now I cant even notice it! But in a completely dark room, and that's how I do a lot of my viewing, it is noticeable and it gets on my nerves a little.

Apart from that as with all these cheaper sets, the blacks aren't too good. But if it wasn't for the backlight, I'd keep this set. Hell I only paid £265 for it! Absolute bargain.

I'm playing Dragon Quest 8 for the PS2 on it right now, have it hooked up via component leads and the picture is fantastic very sharp and it upscales very nicely ;)

I'm playing Dragon Quest 8 for the PS2 on it right now, have it hooked up via component leads and the picture is fantastic very sharp and it upscales very nicely ;)

Heh, DQVIII was the last game I got to play on my beloved 24" Sony CRT. Most likely the best SD picture I'll ever be able see. Are you enjoyed it? :)

I'll only really be testing my PAL and NTSC PS2, giving my unused PS2 component cable (got from Game AGES ago) some work to do. Can't really give DVD's a good test as I've lost the remote for my decent Phillips player...

Will you two stop bitching and just go and buy yourselves one. :lesson:

Heh, DQVIII was the last game I got to play on my beloved 24" Sony CRT. Most likely the best SD picture I'll ever be able see. Are you enjoyed it? :)

I'll only really be testing my PAL and NTSC PS2, giving my unused PS2 component cable (got from Game AGES ago) some work to do. Can't really give DVD's a good test as I've lost the remote for my decent Phillips player...

Yes, I'm enoying it. Not too far in though. I've just met Marcello and Angelo and we've just been asked by Angelo to go and invistigate the appearance of the jester Dhoulmagous in the Abbot's residence :)

Why do you have both a NTSC and PAL ps2? I tell you one thing I'm noticing, is a little tearing when spinning the camera round for aerial shots, normally the trees ripple like. You know, like you get when it's dropping frames or something. Did you ever get that? I'm not sure if its an LCD issue or what. It seems like the fps isn't matching up with the refresh of the monitor. Not vsyncing.

Will you two stop bitching and just go and buy yourselves one. :lesson:

Hey, didn't I read you post somewhere that you're Mr Undecided, the guy who can never make up his mind on an LCD :D

Yes, I'm enoying it. Not too far in though. I've just met Marcello and Angelo and we've just been asked by Angelo to go and invistigate the appearance of the jester Dhoulmagous in the Abbot's residence :)

Why do you have both a NTSC and PAL ps2? I tell you one thing I'm noticing, is a little tearing when spinning the camera round for aerial shots, normally the trees ripple like. You know, like you get when it's dropping frames or something. Did you ever get that? I'm not sure if its an LCD issue or what. It seems like the fps isn't matching up with the refresh of the monitor. Not vsyncing.

Ah, you're right at the start. DQVIII lasts FOREVER (not that that's a bad thing!), I had something like 100 hours clocked when I finished it. Great game.

I'm assuming you haven't played many RPG's if you've only just got around to playing DQVIII. I'd recommend you pick-up Suikoden V if you fall in love with DQVIII, Suikoden V being my favourite PS2 RPG, maybe even better than Suikoden V's famous PS1 prequel, Suikoden II.

To answer your question, I have an American PS2 because it seemed simpler than getting my PS2 chipped. Got a fair amount of NTSC PS2 RPG's stacked up waiting to be played...actually, Vol. 3 of a game series I'm playing comes out on the 10th in yankland and is on pre-order.

Can't really comment on your problem. I've seen vsync issues before on my LCD monitor and similar issues that aren't vysnc related, but I'm no expert. Do you mean there's a slight judder?

@ .hack and Pontyac if you want to talk about games and gaming there are plenty of other forums for this. as this thread is turning in to a name calling and bitching thread I will close it and hope that this is the end of it.

Curly

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom