1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JL-Comet price match 37PE30. Now need setup advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hao, Dec 12, 2004.

1. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased TH37PE30B from JL Peterborough yesterday for £1999 as a price match with Comet inc. stand but no DMRE55. Powerhouse doing it cheaper with tabletop stand.
    Has anyone managed to get the recorder from Panasonic, if so how?
    I could use some advice on setup as I have my Profigold flat cable scarts and DVE disc at the ready, screen arrives next week.
    According to the manual the antennas connect into my Skydigibox which is connected to AV1 by scart. The Digibox is then connected to the DVDR by scart and antenna cable. Finally the DVDR to the AV2 scart and antenna terminal. As these are the only two boxes I will be using, is this setup OK or have I missed something?
    I understand switching to RGB and not running high def but what else should I consider, also any advice on running DVE untill I can get around to having it calibrated properly would be appreciated.

2. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I just spoke to JL High Wycombe, their offer is

Pana Viera 37 PE30B
    Cabinet Stand
    E55
    all for £1999

(or a £250 off the E85 @ £569 if you dont want the E55) so £1999 + £319 with E85 instead

You want SKY out into AV2 on E55, Av1 on E55 to TV AV 2 or AV4 (as they are Qlink)
    S

3. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd recommend AV4 on the TV then you can hook up the Component leads to AV4C for Progressive DVD playback too :D

Shame I havn't got round to advertising my Plasma yet as I would have offered you my 42" Panasonic plasma TV for around £1800 on pedestal.

4. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for that. Will get onto JL tomorrow and chase that one up.
    The setup you describe is more or less as the manual gives, just wanted to confirm that it gets good PQ and that nothing exta was needed for that or sound.
    I couldn't get a 42" into the space provided but thanks for the thought. As a novice I'm not quite shure what hooking up the component leads to AV4c entails or achieves or the progressive scan either hopefully you could expand on this.

5. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No problem. Basically by using 3 phono cables to connect the Red Green & Blue phono sockets of the DVD recorder to AV4C on the TV will allow DVD's to be played back as non-interlaced pictures which will result in even better picture quality than you had before. All you need to do it to change the TV channel to AV4C and the AV1 setting in the DVD recorder Funcions/Setup/Connections menu to YPBr

6. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good thanks

7. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi, just to clarify.

The offer that JL are running is a pansonic dealer promo so they have no excuses to do it for you retrospectively (wthin 28 days)

In fact my two stuck pixel 32 Viera LCD/E55 free is being collected on the 23rd and replaced by the Viera 37 with stand and a new E85 as i went for this promo just this morning for the £300 or so extra from what i paid before (32 LCD + Free E55 £1899.00) instead of replacing the LCD as it was before. They were perfectly happy about it! Shame is i cant have it until the 23rd as thats the only next delivery in my area!

On the E55 go to functions\connections\ AV1 (IIRC) and set it to "video with component" - this is the default setting anyhow - so your component leads will work just fine. You can also switch on progressive scan but the experts here tell us not to do it as the screen does it anyhow and does a better job of it.

Enjoy

S

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I can confirm this. I've got a 37" Viera & E85 recorder, I have my progressive scan switched off as the plasma has a better deinterlacer than the DVD player.

9. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good old JL eh? I have no connection with them (other than spending small fortune through them!) but it's this kind of service which makes various users of these forums so keen to get them to price match, despite the elaborate procedures this can entail (or in my case a 2 minute phone call!).

Adrian

10. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    my nearest JL is 70 miles away. what do they charge for delivery and is there anything i need to know about distance buying from JL?

11. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting point about turning off the deinterlacer in the DVD recorder. Presumably this means that the player/recorder would output interlaced signals via Component and the TV would convert it to progressive? but how would this affect DVD's which are written in a non interlaced format?

12. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to thank every one for their invaluable contributions, however I have a further setup question that I need some advice on.
    I am now in possession of a Sony RDR GX700 DVD recorder which I ordered last week when intending to buy a Toshiba crt. The price of the Vera then went down so I ordered one instead.
    I am inclined to keep and use the Sony as I believe it to be better than the E55 (which I am still trying to get out of JL). Has anyone tried the GX700 with the Vera and if so are they compatable?
    The setup in the Sony manual is different to the Plasma manual in that it connects the GX700 Line-1 scart to the TV and Line-3 scart to the Digibox with no connection from the Digibox to the TV. As a novice I would have thought that the connection were the same as described in the previouse threads since the GX700 has the equiverlent to Q-Linc (Smartlink) but for use with scart only.
    Help-confused.

13. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I am not sure if the smartlink works interchangably with Qlink - have a search as i think this was covered quite recently.

I am sure a nice friendly manner with JL will get you all your goodies. I have found them to be exceptionally helpful at a time of year when they are so busy and must be under pressure with the volume of calls, duff enquiries etc.

S

14. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes JL have now added a DMRE55 to my package, the only problem is I also have the GX700 which I dont think I can get a refund on as I had it made multi region from dvdinternational.com. Which one to use and how to setup the GX 700.
    I guess it's look out ebay for one of them!

15. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well at least you know the Panasonic recorder will be happy to record Freeview via the TV's EPG timer.

16. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news the suppliers of my Gx700 (multizonedvd.com) were very understanding and agreed a full refund despite it being modified, so I am very pleased with them and would certainly give the a reccomendation and will use agian.

17. willyworm

willyworm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hao

how did you manage to get such a good deal, when I tried to price match JL in Watford, they insisted that I had to match against the TV, large stand and DVD, saying it was all one package? Any advice on negotiating tactics grapefruiltfully appreciated

18. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Willyworm,
    First I went to my local JL (Peterborough) armed with two adverts from the papers one for Comet the other from Powerhouse both were showing TH37PE30b for £1999 inc stand. I invited them to pricematch, so they phoned up Comet to confirm the price and then said ok. I asked for the DMRE55 to be included but they said no, so I went ahead with the purchase, thanks to barclaycard, and a 5 year warranty was included.
    A few days later I read on this forum that High wycome JL were throwing in the E55 so I rang JL Peterborough to point this out and also that the E55 was part of the Panasonic package anyway. They said that they would check this out and get back to me.
    This morning a girl from JL Peterborough rang me to say the the E55 would now be included in the delivery next week.
    A long story but I hope it works for you.

19. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    New to the forum and also new to the world of AV.

Quick question - who are JL??

Cheers (more questions to follow, lol).

20. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis Stores, found in most big towns. The also have a very expensive website.

21. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ah, John Lewis! Makes sense now, I shop there pretty regularly lol.

So I take it from this thread that JL are well know for decent offers on AV equipment?

22. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you have to find a good price match to take with you.