1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JL and their "in store price" price match

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dac, Aug 19, 2002.

1. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    just got a call from JL tv undersales department.

i was hoping they would price match PRC direct on the Sony KD 32DX100 price of £1235. (JL price £1595)

well ... they won't price match a competitor unless they "have the model displayed at that price in their store on the shopfloor"

there goes prc direct and kk electronics (a small shop on edgware road, london - around the corner from JL oxford st. DX100 selling at £1279) out of the window.

so ... should i go to HoF or Allders? not sure if they have the same price match policy as JL. i think they both have 5 year guarantee as well though.

alternatively should i go back to JL and get them to price match techtronics price off £1328?

anyone else here have problems with JL?

cheers,
    dac :(

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    That can't be right..

I have bought several TVs from JL (Bristol) and had no problems with 'undersales'.

Are you saying that the fact that "its in the window" as opposed to 'on the shop floor" menas that they won't price match, or did I miss your point

I have just placed an order for a Philips 32PW9607 for £1540 (£1999 JL Price). I printed out a page from RGBDirect and they got back to me within a few days to say OK.

They initally wanted to charge me £1580 as RGB charge £40, but I told them that I was going to collect it from RGB myself.. So they knocked of £40.. However, JL offer free delivery.. So, I get now get £40 extra off and free delivery.

I would go higher in JL and tell them that you expect them to price match, as per their documented policy.

Let us know how you get on.

Jon

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    I should also say that in the past few months, 2 friends have bought 36" TVs from JL and had no problems getting them to price match.

4. Neilster

Neilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah had the same thing happen to me.. I asked them to match the price with prcdirect on a Philips 36PW9607C.. Got a letter from them saying that prcdirect do not have it on display and therefore will not match the price.. Also some other stuff that led me to belive you had to buy from JL first and then try and price match??

I will put the letter on here in full later on..

5. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    jon,

depends on what you mean by "its in the window" price.

i could read it as literally in the shop window physically, which would be the same as "in store price"

or

i could read it as the price they are advertising it in various formats. (like ... using magazines - which acts as window)

either way ... they don't seem to be budging :(

i did read a post here that someone printed out the techtronics store page and they were happy to price match that.

if i get JL to price match techtronics, it will mean the tv will end up being £90 more expensive than getting it from prc direct. get 5 year guarantee though, and also good customer service (generally speaking) if there happens to be a problem.

i think the key factor is when they call up the competitor and ask them over the phone "what is your in store price for the .... "

anyone recommend giving my dosh to HoF or Allders instead?

cheers,
    dac

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    I would definatly stick with JL if you can, as they do give brilliant service.

What about RGBDirect (Www.rgbdirect.co.uk).. how does their price compare?

3 of us have now walked into JL (Bristol) with a printout from RGBs web page and after telling them that they arn't an internet company and have a 'shop front', JL have happily matched the price.

It seems that different JL branches are operating differently, which isn't ethical.

Perhaps a call to their head-office may help?

7. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    jon,

yeah it certainily seems that certain stores are more "flexible" with their policy. in this case, the london oxford street store seems extremely strict about it.

i will give RGB direct a go, although i am sure the response i will get from JL is "are you sure it's not a internet or mail order company".

i just checked out http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk and they're selling the tv i want a good price.

£1274.49

i have also checked out their contact us page, and indeed they are a high street shop - full opening hours included as well!

i will give JL a call now to see if they can price match them.

cheers jon.

much appreciated.

dac
    (fingers crossed)

p.s. if i fail ... any idea what JL head office number is? maybe complaining about the variations of JL's price matching policy taking place would help.

8. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i work in the partnership and the confusion is not just with the public but with staff as well, after they lost a lot of money to undersales over the net the rules on undersales were changed, so now you can only get undersales on shops that are within a 30 miles radius of the shops location, though the problem described above sounds like the models may be different even though its the same TV the shop may not have sourced it from the UK. Though there are still lots of reasons to buy from JL, FREE 5 year warrantee, free UK delivery via Park Royal, and pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable staff, and in reply to “dac” if you could find the number for central I doubt you could ever get though!

9. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The claim 'never knowingly undersold' applys to relative shops, its not fair to compair a whrehouse with 50 employees to a partnership which employees countless peeple, have to run and maintain 50+ stores and ship the products to these locations, then offer all of the aftersales that they do eg free del 5 YEAR Warrantee, give me an example of a mail order shop that has that?

10. Neilster

Neilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your wrong...

This page says nothing like that..

http://www.johnlewis.com/info/Help.asp?HelpID=9&str=950&m=39

"Each branch routinely checks prices in local shops. If we find the same goods being sold at a lower price, we automatically reduce our local price to match."

fine so they price match locally (even tho they know that prc and RGB sell for less)

but then says this...

"If you find the same item you have just bought from us selling for less at another shop in the UK, we will refund the difference."

You did get the bit about John Lewis staff being confused over this policy right tho :)

11. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true that proves my point bout the staff being left out of the loop, morrow i will ring Central myself to get the definhative answer

12. Brian Hussey

Brian Hussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I write in support of hdrees.
    On a recent visit to John Lewis, Cribbs Causeway, Bristol I saw a notice in the TV departmrnt emphasising the 30 mile limit.

Brian.

13. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    guys,

spoke to a lady (ms. x) from JL undersales dept (oxford st. branch) about my tv price match.

prior to this, i had called rgb hifi & video (rgb direct) to confirm the price and also stock. a nice lad told me what i wanted to hear.
    in stock and good price.

called up jl and spoke to ms. x
    she said she will check it out and get back to me.

by late afternoon, i decided to call her and get a quick status check (surely a phone call dosen't take that long!)

well ... got ms. x on the phone, and it turns out that she had asked another person, say ms. y to check it out.

(maybe ms. x is a manager or something...)

anyway ... ms. y told ms. x that she had called up rgb and that they were unable to give her a price and would call her back tomorrow to let her know.

so ...... ms. x said she would get back to me as soon as rgb gets back to jl???

so ... in a moment of frustatrion, i maybe have hinted that the way jl goes about their price match is a bit dodgy.
    i mean, are they calling up the competitor and asking as for prices and stock availability as a "normal" customer?

imagine ... jl asking rgb "so what is your 'in store' price then?"
    how will rgb take this ... ? a rival undercutting them?

i basically said, if i was able to call up in the morning and get price and stock questions answered, why aren't they?

her reply was basically, "i can assure we do call them up and speak to them as if we were an ordinary customer ... yada yada yada .... " (in a very defensive tone of voice.)

well ... lets wait and see if i do get a call back from ms. x today.

might have to give my £££ to HoF or Allders if JL dosen't want it.

anyone have experiences with them re: price matching?

cheers,
    dac

14. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dac

How do JL possiblily know PRC don't "have the model displayed at that price in their store on the shopfloor" ? Do they send someone around?

If your are in London, try another branch. I have not problem in getting them to match but they take a week to confirm in writing. What I found that different branches selling the same products at different prices and they WON'T match their own branch prices on one occasion because of location !!! Strange !!

Best of luck

fwan

15. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    With regards to the "30 mile limit", when I went into JL in Bristol a few weeks back, I showed them my printout from RGB and had no problems at all.

I even mentioned that I had heard that it had to be within 30miles and they guy couldn't care less.. He said that as long as it was within 30 miles of ONE of JLs branches, it didn't matter. But even if it was outside of a 30 mile limit.. It didn't seem to matter.

He was more than happy to take my undersales request and didn't quibble anything about it.

16. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    fwan:

no idea how JL knows prc didn't have it on their shop floor.
    perhaps ... "do you have the model displayed at that price (the price i want to price match) on the shopfloor" being asked by a JL person ringing up prc.

in which case the prc person would probably give a higher price back to JL or say it's not displayed instore - to prevent a sale going to JL/competitor.

which basically leads me to the remark about JL and their dodgy price matching queries they make.

i personally don't think they act like a normal customer would when enquiring about competitor prices.

jon:

i think it could depend on the salesperson that handles your price match. luck of the drawer there mate.
    sounds like some ppl has had great success, others a complete failure.

i think they should allow this.

1) go to JL store
    2) say u want to price match
    3) go into a room with speaker phone
    4) allow customer to call competitor
    5) customer asks (as a REAL normal customer) competitor for price
    6) gets price
    7) gets stock availability
    8) JL/customer can have no complaints (if matched or not matched)

the current method ... everything is done behind closed doors.

how do i know JL even called them!!!

still waiting for the call from ms. x

4 more hours to go ...

17. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    just got the call from ms. x

and suprise suprise (not!), she said that rgb got back to them and said that they don't display the tv in store. so JL is saying they can't price match it.

(but i was told that it was in store and if i wanted to pop by their store i can see it at their price.)

so what's going on ???

competitor telling fibs to JL or JL telling fibs to me?
    (i reckon it's probably rgb telling JL fibs - but deservedly so as JL is probably calling up as a competitor to rgb. why should rgb lose business!)

finally ... i don't think JL's "never knowingly undersold" is a valid statment.

ms. x assured me that they also have people out checking prices on a regular basis along tottenham court road to ensure they are not undersold.

hahaha ... don't make me laugh! pratically everystore on TCR sells their tv's at a lower price than JL. they don't seem to be very good researchers if u ask me.

oh well ... such is life. might just take the risk and order from prc instead.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my tuppence worth.

I was after a Sony KV32FX65 and scoured the web for the best price. Eventually I was put onto http://www.sdb-electronics.com who were offering it at the lowest price I could find.

I asked John Lewis in Glasgow, via e-mail, if they would match the price. This is the correspondence

============================================

"Dear Mr Crawford

We have checked out this price and unfortunately we are not able to match it. Although the company does have stock at this price they do not deliver outwith the M25 area. This means that in this particular instance does not match our undersale criteria.

Yours sincerely

Mrs S Jackson
    Section Manager
    Audio & Television

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
    Subject: UNCLAS: Price Match - Sony KV32FX65
    Author: "143 Bde" <143bde@xxxx> at INTERNET
    Date: 03/07/01 17:14

I am interested in purchasing the Sony KV32FX65 widescreen TV, which I have sourced from SDB Electronics, 488-490 Chiswick High Road, Chiswick, London, W4 5TT Tel: 0208-742-2200. They are offering the above model for S£899 plus the optional matching stand for a further S£200 = S£1199.

Can you confirm if

a. You will price match SDB
    b. You will still offer the 5 year warranty

and

c. How much you would charge for delivery.

Many thanks

Mike Crawford"

==============================================

So I then sent the following:

"Many thanks for your swift reply.

Could you forward me details of the John Lewis Undersale/Price Matching
    criteria that you apply when considering such cases.

Regards

Mike Crawford"

Which got this response

"Dear Mr Crawford

Our undersales slogan instore states we check the prices of local shops and lower our prices accordingly. As a general rule, we define local as being approximately within 30 miles of the store (our free delivery area).

If a competitor further afield is able to offer a delivery service to the Glasgow area, we can match the price of the item but must also match the change for delivery. SDB Electronics do not offer a delivery service to Glasgow and therefore cannot deliver the goods to your door at the price quoted.

You could arrange to have the price matched by one of our London stores (as they would class this competitor as local) but the cost of delivering the television to Glasgow, fully insured, could cost in excess of £100.00.

Our 5 year warranty service is not affected by any undersale as this service is currently free.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0141 353 6677 ext 4929.

Yours sincerely

Mrs S Jackson
    Section Manager
    Audio & Television

============================================

Now, I don't actually live in Glasgow any more, I moved to Shropshire some years back, but always found the Glasgow staff to be knowledgable. My "local" JL's is in Cheadle. So I asked them the following ...

=============================================

"Please see the attached correspondence from your Glasgow branch (who mistakenly believe I am based in Glasgow). I am interested in purchasing a Sony KV32FX65 with stand and have sourced it from SDB Electronics in Chiswick, London at S£1199 + an additional S£50 delivery charge made by SDB for delivery to my house in Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

If I understand the e-mail from Glasgow correctly, you as my local
    branch will match the inclusive undersale price which totals S£1249 (which includes the SDB delivery charge), but still honour the JL 5 year free warranty and deliver to my address in Shrewsbury for free.

Can you confirm this is correct?

Thanks in advance

Mike Crawford

And I got back the following helpful e-mail

"Dear Mr Crawford

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a Sony Television Model- KV32FX65.

We can confirm that we have reserved one in your name for 2 weeks until 20th July 2001. The reservation number is Cr-xxxxx.

We would be happy to match the price of £1199.00. However because you live outside our 'free delivery area', the delivery would be subject to our 2 man carrier charge of £60.00 which is not included in our undersales policy when outside the area. The five year guarantee is unaffected by any undersale currency

We also require the telephone number of SDB Electronics so we can confirm their stock availability as we can only match the above price if they have stock available for delivery.

We trust this is satisfactory and look forward to receiving your
    reply.

Martin Blaylock
    Audio and Television Department"

So far so good. However I have a local branch of House of Frasers in my town. They would have got my business in the first place, except that HoF do not give the free 5 yr warranty on items that that have been sold "undersale" (i.e. price matched) unless the other supplier does (and SDB electronics do not).

However, armed with my e-mails from John Lewis, I went to the HoF store and asked if they would price match the offer from John Lewis (which included the 5yr warranty free). To my suprise, they agreed (clearly happy to steal a bit of business from a rival) and as I live locally, they would deliver for free. Hurrah for me :)

The upshot being I get my telly with 5yr warrant and free delivery for £1199. Hope someone finds this useful, and sorry that it is a bit hard to follow giving the cutting and pasting I've had to do ....

Cheers all

Mike

19. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dac

You can go back to JL and tell them what they can do with their price matching policy - something they seemed not want to comply with by giving all sort of stupid reasons which they never used to apply before. BTW, many retailers now don't really stock large items in their premises. When you order, the goods are despatched from either the manufacturers' or wholesalers' warehouse to the consumers. Again not every retailers have every products they sell on display on shopfloor ! I know JL don't for example display 28" AND 32" tv sets of each model.

Enjoy your tv and hope you don't have to go thru what we, the Sony FQ75 and FS70 owners, have to go thru !!!

fwan

20. vgmf

vgmf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last August I went to JL in Oxford Street and they did a price match with Digital Direct [ Bradford ] on a Denon 3801. All I did was give them the DD phone number , the product and model number, and three days later they called back with a reference number. I had to use this to get the Oxford Street shop to sell at the reduced price. So I saved £150 and got a two warrenty instead of a one year !!.

21. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    fwan,

yeah well, i've sent an email to their johnlewis.com , oxford street and general customer services department.

email below:
    ----------------
    Hello,

I would like to raise to your attention the inconsistent price matches for televisions that are occuring at John Lewis.

Please read the thread on a very well known forum on the Internet:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...php?s=&threadid=44720&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

It appears to many people out there that the way JL is conducting their price match queries to it's competitors are not carried out in a way a normal customer would, and hence the usual reply from a competitor that it's not sold at that price, not in stock or not displayed in store.

After all, why would a competitor (picking up that it's a JL or other competitor calling up to confirm price matching) quote a low price and allow a potential sale to slip away.

Speaking of my particular experience with the Oxford Street store, I had called up the competitor beforehand and was told by the salesperson of that it was in stock, displayed in store and at a lower price than John Lewis.

I proceeded to pass the competitor's details onto John Lewis. The lady I spoke to in the undersales department was Ms. Wizard.
    She however appears to be of senior rank and had assigned another colleague to carry out the investigation of the competitor's price.

However, the competitor had apparently told Ms. Wizard's colleague they do not display this particular tv in store.
    This was not what I was told, and although I agree with Ms. Wizard that she can only go on what information she has been given, I disagree with the way John Lewis interogates competitors in a way which would suggest to the competitor it's a rival store.

When I had suggested that perhaps the way her colleague had enquired the competitor in a different way as a normal customer like myself would have, she unfortunately went on the defensive and to me this appeared a bit rude and was totally not required.

Many loyal customers (myself included) have always gone to John Lewis as the store to buy our televisions knowing that there is a free 5 year guarantee as well as free delivery and the price matching of competitor prices.

But, due to increasing occurences of the above experience, many are now going over to House of Fraser and Allders which also offers price matching and a 5 year guarantee.

Finally, I was told by Ms. Wizard that John Lewis have employees who regularly check prices on Tottenham Court Road (as I believe these stores are your main competition and close by) to ensure that John Lewis isn't "knowingly undersold".
    Whilst there are indeed a lot of products John Lewis has to check prices on, I find it hard to believe that almost every television is priced lower than John Lewis (as displayed in the shop window/floor in many of Tottenham Court Road shops) and no researcher/price checker employed by John Lewis fails to notice this.

Regards,
    Mr. Hoang
    -----------

and here's the reply i received this morning from the customer relations manager at johnlewis.com

------------------
    Dear Mr Hoang

Thank you for your recent email.

Having read the correspondence below, I am naturally concerned by the problems you have experienced. However, as johnlewis.com are not directly involved in the policies of individual branches, I regret that I am unable to comment on these issues. I would like to assure you that I have forwarded your email to both our Customer Services Department that deals with our stores and the Oxford Street branch in order that they may respond to you directly.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at manager@johnlewis.com.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Flett
    Customer Relations Manager
    John Lewis Direct
    ----------------------

at least he's acknowledged the problem.

but i've pretty much given up on them. they just give reason after reason to turn down the price match. :eek:

one final question though ... if they are saying they only price match if the retailer displays the item and price "in store" then ... how comes they price match ARGOS? :rolleyes:

i'm sure i read a post here where someone got them to price match ARGOS and there was no problems ...

inconsistency inconsistency ... seems like it's luck of the draw.

fwan & co: *pat on the back* great work with getting the scrolling bars problem acknowledged by sony.

dac

22. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    sony kd32dx100 television ordered.

allders got the nod after 3 attempts at JL to price match 3 different retailers. their loss is allders gain.

they price matched prc direct for £1235.85 - their in store price was £1599. great service, no to-ing and throw-ing like JL.
    spoke to television dept, they called up prc straight away and called me back in 10 mins.
    with JL ... i had to chase them!

delivery next wed :) can't wait ... used a sonycard.
    get nearl 4,000 pulsebeats - about £40 worth of sony products.

amp str-de 585, speakers sa-ve335 and stands will be ordered next tuesday from hifibitz.

dvp-ns700 bought already :)

a lot happier now. :)

23. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the JL in Glasgow matched the price of my Sony KV28LS60 with Argos.

JL had this model in store for £895, and Argos had only just reduced their price to £749.

I see your point though cos I know Argos do not have every model on display instore, and maybe not always in stock. I suppose they would have to Pricematch them cos they are a nationwide company.

Seems like there is no consistency from what you and others have posted...........................

24. Neilster

Neilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I have had it with the JL price match.. A freind of mine got a philips 36 incher price matched to prcdirect with no hassles.. I went to the same store and asked for the same price match on the same TV and they won't do it.. I have just received my barclaycard so will buying a TV from allders with a free 5 year guarantee then use the barclaycard price promise to match it cheaper elsewhere.. this way I get a 6 year guarantee for free :)

I used to love JL and shop at waitrose weekly, but if they want to keep my custom then they need to sort their lifes out (well their policies at least). There was a good atempt from a JL "partner" on this board a few days ago but even he could not grasp the price match policy. If anyone from JL is reading this and cares to explain what is going on then please emal me at neil@beeb.net

25. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi all,

just thought i'd share this with everyone.

after sending my email (see a few posts above this one), here is my 2nd correspondence from JL.

this time it's from the lady i referred to as ms. x who was dealing with my price match.

------------------------------
    Dear Mr Hoang

Your e-mail dated 21 August 2002 has been passed to Liz Thomas, Manager,
    Undersales, by our Central Offices as she has overall responsibility for
    any queries relating to our Pricing Policy here at John Lewis.

Unfortunately Miss Thomas is away from the office today but I will ensure
    she sees your e-mail on her return to the branch next week, and she will be
    in touch with you shortly.

In the meanwhile, I do hope you will bear with us and thank you for your
    patience.

Yours sincerely

Carol Wizard
    Undersales Secretary
    ------------------------------

it would appear to me that they seem a lot more enthusiastic to follow this up than my last correspondence with them when they just point blank turned down my price match and left it at that.

i ended the conversation with "it dosen't really matter now anyway as i've bought the tv set. i've had it priced match by allders with no fuss whatsoever."
    (even better, found out empire direct were cheaper than prc direct. so i called allders up today, and they will refund the £15 difference onto my sonycard! how cool is that! great service too!)

yet she still insisted that liz thomas the undersales manager will be in touch with me - no idea what for though. i've expressed my feelings in the original email i've sent them.

i wonder if they're actually following this thread now as i included the link in the email.

well, if anyone from JL is reading this ... i am sure u can symapthise with the problems many of us have experienced with regards to the inconsistency of your price matching policy.

i know losing one order dosen't mean much financially, but with this thread recieving over 700 reads - it may turn out more and more people are becoming aware of the problem both neilster and myself (and possibly many other smart customers who are doing their research before purchasing their tv's) - it could turn into the 10's or 100's ... (such as people telling friends and families. i've bought 3 tv's for family members in the past - with the original JL price match.)

well ... i'll keep u guys posted on whatever news i get.
    thanks for reading.

cheers,
    dac

26. Mwillo

Mwillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Dac

just wanted to thankyou for such a great post, i have found this to be very infomative as i will hopefully be using my local John Lewis in Liverpool to price match on a 36" Toshiba in september.

mark

27. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    here's the reply from the undersales manager for those that are interested:

-------------------
    Dear Mr Hoang

As I believe you are aware, your e-mail dated 21 August unfortunately
    arrived whilst I was away from the branch. My secretary though showed it
    to me on my return and having looked at matters, I can reply.

I am of course sorry you feel as you do but our position is quite clear, we
    aim to offer the best value for the goods we sell. We back this policy
    with our Undersale slogan, which states "If you find the same item you have
    just bought from us selling for less at another shop in the UK, we will
    refund the difference". Unlike our competitors, we do not set a fixed
    period when such a claim can be made although we consider a good
    interpretation of the word "just" to be 28 days. In other words, we try to
    be as reasonable as we can, which has always been the case since the
    slogan's conception some 75 years ago.

I think it is fair to say though that retailing has changed over the years,
    especially the last five years or so, with the advent of the Internet etc.
    It was because of this that we looked at our slogan and consulted our
    customers, asking them what they expected and following this, some changes
    were made to our pricing policy last September.

The main thrust of the changes concerned the way some retail outlets
    operated since our overriding factor has always been that the comparison
    must be like for like. Mail order companies or those that trade solely on
    the Internet are not operating on a similar basis as a shop that has stock,
    displays its prices and allows the customer to touch, feel and have the
    item demonstrated. It follows therefore that although a product may be
    available for a lesser price at one of the above outlets, we do not feel we
    are being undersold. This seems reasonable to me and most of our
    customers. From what you have said, it is clear you feel differently and
    those who subscribe to avforums.com seem to share your views.

I am sorry this is the case and that you consider that my department failed
    to carry out our checks adequately concerning the price difference you
    reported. Looking at our records, I note that whilst you told us that PRC
    were selling the same television for £1,279.00 against our price of
    £1,595.00, when we contacted the outlet whilst they confirmed the price,
    they also said they had none of the sets for a customer to see. This was
    the case with the other outlet called RGB. KK Electronics however, who I
    note you also cited as being able to sell the same product more cheaply,
    had none of the sets in stock when we enquired.

I think this illustrates that we did indeed carry out some quite extensive
    checks and whilst I cannot go into the detail on how we operate, I would
    assure you that my checkers do not say they are asking the price on behalf
    of John Lewis. To do so would be unwise since as you have said, I suspect
    the retailer may well not supply us with the full details.

As things stand at present our price, owing to local competition, has
    decreased from £1,595.00 to £1,424.00 and we believe no other shop
    displaying its price and having the goods in stock has the same television
    for less. If though, you know differently, please let me have the details
    so that I can have matters checked again and indeed if we are being
    undersold, I will either reduce the price to you or, if you have purchased
    from us, refund the difference.

I hope this clarifies matters a little as far as our Undersale slogan in
    concerned but if there is anything further you wish to discuss, I can be
    contacted on the telephone number listed below.

Yours sincerely

Elizabeth Thomas (Miss)
    Manager
    Undersales Department

28. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So Neilster. What did JL do to make you change your mind. I refer to the above post in the following thread. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=47244&referrerid=10808

It must have been quite a deal considering your previous post on this thread.

The reason I ask is that I wish to go through the same process with JL.

Thanks in advance