JL 5yr warranty, a question please

B

badgerbrock1972

Hi everyone

a quick question please,

my Sony 40W2000 (about 18months old) has developed a fault, and under the JL warranty has been backwards/forwards to a local repairer for the past 8 weeks now. I initially was left without a loan set, but now have a 26" JVC LCD which isnt upto much to be honest. better then nothing though.

Anyway just had a call from the repair shop (I was supposed to be getting my TV back tomorrow) and its now developed another fault and they say it needs a new panel.

He has been in touch with JL with the quote, as yet they have not got back to him.

Question

Its my TV, surely they should be contacting me...?

Also, originally I paid over £1500 for that TV, am i within my rights to demand the same value replacement, or do i have to take a similar spec Bravia 1080p set (the 40W4000 most likely) - or, can i choose something different and pay the extra?

just after some comments from anyone out there who has been through a warranty claim with JL

Thanks

Garry:)

I don't know the wording of JL's warranty, but under normal consumer law a repair "must be undertaken within a reasonable period of time and must not cause you significant inconvenience"
Now, I would certainly argue that 8 weeks (2 months) out of an ownership period of only 18 months is excessive!
I would be pushing for a replacement set, now.

With regard to replacement, you would again have to check the wording of the JL policy, but under consumer law the replacement usually has to be 'in keeping' with your loss.
If they cannot replace with that specific model again, then they have to offer you a replacement to similar spec, or offer you a refund.
AFAIK, they cannot offer you a cheaper TV, just because it has the same spec.
You have bought a £1500 Sony, they cannot offer you a £600 Bush just because it has the same sort of spec!
They have to offer you a £1500 Sony, or very similar.
Or a refund (less some money for usage of the set)
They may allow you to add money for a better model, if the replacement they offer isn't to your satisfaction.
I've done this, with a Toshiba DVD player.
They offered an identical replacement, I told them I "never wanted one of those again" and I paid £20 more for a Panasonic.
Everyone was happy.

Good luck, but get onto them and push for a new set NOW!!

Last edited:
AFAIK, they cannot offer you a cheaper TV
Unless this is specifically written somewhere then they certainly can. Of course you can always argue that a Bush is not the same quality as a Sony and therefore you can insist on a Sony of similar spec.

Hi everyone

a quick question please,

my Sony 40W2000 (about 18months old) has developed a fault, and under the JL warranty has been backwards/forwards to a local repairer for the past 8 weeks now. I initially was left without a loan set, but now have a 26" JVC LCD which isnt upto much to be honest. better then nothing though.

Anyway just had a call from the repair shop (I was supposed to be getting my TV back tomorrow) and its now developed another fault and they say it needs a new panel.

He has been in touch with JL with the quote, as yet they have not got back to him.

Question

Its my TV, surely they should be contacting me...?

Also, originally I paid over £1500 for that TV, am i within my rights to demand the same value replacement, or do i have to take a similar spec Bravia 1080p set (the 40W4000 most likely) - or, can i choose something different and pay the extra?

just after some comments from anyone out there who has been through a warranty claim with JL

Thanks

Garry:)

Rule of thumb is a reduction in original price paid of 20% per year. In other words, after 18 months, a replacement to the value of (or refund of) £1000 is about right. You are not legally entitled to demand the original price paid as a replacement or refund, or in fact insist on the same brand of tv, but it is unlikely that John Lewis would be quite so unhelpful in this situation. I presume your tv hasn't been away for 8 weeks solid as this would be classed as too long to carry out a repair? See if the replacement screen fixes the problem once and for all and make it clear to John Lewis that if it doesn't, then you will expect an immediate replacement. John Lewis don't publish terms and conditions to their 5yr guarantee, so no chance of pulling them up on breach of these.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom