JL 5-Year Warranty

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Spyro, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Just got back from JL Bluewater. Had a look at the Sagem HD-D45. Playing LOTR via RGB Scart. Looked as good as my 36"CRT Philips. Anyway talked about the 5-year warranty. Was informed by the manager of the section that it does not cover consumable items. The lamp has an estimated 6000-10,000 hour life and is a consumable, so it is not covered. The manager stated "They cost £250 each. We would operate at a loss if we had to replace 2-3 of those over a 5 year period in every set we sold".
    If you have a 5 year warranty from JL on this set and have it in writing about the lamp being covered, can you let me know where you bought it and I will try to order from there?

2. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I wasn't really aware of any bulbs ever being covered by a warranty

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,050
    Can't help you with the warranty, but just puzzled at the managers answer.

Lets take the lower lamp life of 6000 hours. He claims you would be replacing this 3 times over a 5 year period.

That means it would be on for about 9-10 hours a day every single day for that 5 year period.

Taking it at the maximum lamp life of 10,000 hours. That would mean the set would have to be on for 16 hours each day for 3 lamp changes per 5 year period or 10 hours each day for 2 lamp changes.

Not particularly useful but just something that caught my eye.

4. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As per your avatar :D

5. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put your calculators away boys there might be ladies present!

6. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What the hell is wrong with John Lewis, either the cover the bulbs or the dont.

This is the email I had a few days ago from them:

Dear Adam Rogers,

Thank you for your recent email regarding your order.

Please be advised that the bulbs that you mentioned in your previous email are covered by the 5 year guarantee. This is obviously something that has not been picked up on.

Apologies for any inconvenience that has been caused and thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding this matter.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or please telephone us on 08456 049 049 anytime between 7am and Midnight, 7 days a week and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely
    Andrew Norman
    Customer Service Representative

I have just emailed them again to confirm this.

7. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased an HD45 from JL and specifically asked the sales assistant if the warranty covered lamps and was told it covered ALL parts and labour costs.

I have also e-mailed the main website with this e-mail,

and recieved this reply,

I will keep you posted as to the response from Newcastle branch!!

8. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The only problem i can see from this is that a lot of people maybe buying on the basis they believe it to be covered and may discover later on that actually they are not, not sure people would have to much to go on unless they have it writing, it maybe that they are quoting cover on a manufacturers default and not a usage issue, it's like a car manufacturer may guarantee tyres from defect but not replace them everytime they get worn down.

9. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE, Bulbs are NOT covered.

This in the email I just got from John Lewis:

Dear Adam Rogers,

Thank you for your recent email regarding your order.

Please accept our apologies for the contradicting information; I have since spoken to someone in the store and they have confirmed that the bulbs are not covered in the guarantee.

Please accept my apologies once again and advise how you would like to proceed.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at customerser[email protected] or please telephone us on 08456 049 049 anytime between 7am and Midnight, 7 days a week and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely
    Andrew Norman
    Customer Service Representative

VERY ANNOYING, I am not sure if I want this TV now

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    I don't know what all the fuss is about to be honest, you buy a TV like this or a projector and you expect to have to pay for bulbs when they expire. The fact JL are doing a 5yr warranty on the thing (and for free!) is a huge bonus, just look at it that way. Why even bother starting to look at such TVs if you aren't prepared to pay the accompanying running costs involved?

Cheers
    Andy

11. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I BOTHERED looking at this kind of TV because I was told John Lewis covered the costs of the bulbs.

When I spend £2000 on a TV I dont want to spend another £300 every 3 years on bulbs.

Now that the monkeys at John Lewis have finally agreed that they dont cover the bulbs I shall be cancelling my order with them.

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    Well that's your choice but what's the alternative? A plasma or LCD? Frankly they're not worth bothering with. DLP seems to be the cheapest way to get a large screen tv that doesn't take up loads of space and that is HD ready resolution wise and connection wise. £300 every 3 years isn't that much to pay for the benefits it brings surely?

Cheers,
    Andy.

13. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD "not worth bothering with", you dont know what your talking about.

I have a 30" Sharp LCD which has a superb picture, its just not quite big enough.

DLP was going to be a fairly cheap way to go big screen but now I will just wait for the 37" Sharps to come down a bit.

14. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can you imagine just how many pounds are being stuffed into JL's till for giving this information.

But you have to remember I would buy a car an expect the tyres to be covered

15. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but I would not expect to pay for the tires if the dumb **** at the retailer had told me that the tires would be covered in there 5 year warranty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    I don't think most people expected the bulb to be covered by the warranty, I only bought it from JL cos it's a free 5yr warranty, frankly I couldn't care less if the bulb is covered or not, it's a great deal however you look at it!

Cheers,
    Andy.

17. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I think the current price of a bulb is £250 but I very much doubt that this is likely to be the price in 3+ years time, I'd imagine it to be much much lower by then. Also, going on the average life of a DLP bulb, if you have to replace your bulb every 3 years then you spending some serious hours watching TV, ie, around 9 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Talking of alternatives, I don't think you can get an equivalent sized plasma or LCD with similar PQ and functionality for the price of a DLP.

18. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    Well said, couldn't agree more..

Cheers,
    Andy.

19. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Don't believe that the issue is really worrying about the cost of ownership, just the conflicting and confusing information about the warranty. If everything is covered, then fine, but you don't want a problem later when something does need replacing. Knowing a bulb replacement might be needed and you will have to pay for it isn't a problem as long as you expect it. At £2k with the 5 yr warranty on everything else and free delivery is it still a good deal?
    I can see from the Audiovision web site, (retailer making comments on this thread), that the offer there is currently £2099 + 3 year warranty. Does this cover the lamp and what are the benefits of buying from them?

20. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    I presume the 3yr warranty includes the 2yr standard manufacturers warranty then?

Andy

21. ihaventaclue

ihaventaclue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the lamp goes, in the first 2 years, would this be covered by the manufacturers warranty? or would they claim that it is wear and tear
    with my kids i'll be lucky to get 3 years out of my lamp, still i knew this when i bought it and i still think its good value over lcd and plasma.

22. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely if the JL website actually states that ALL parts and labour are covered it means ALL PARTS. MY DEFINITION OF ALL MEANS ALL! Not just the bits that won't probably die! before the 5 yrs is up.

Nobody is going to state that their cars are covered for ALL parts and labour under warranty because OFT would have a field day.

But JL do state this quite clearly on their site!

23. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The manufacturers warranty actually states 2 years with 1 year for bulbs.

24. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The issue is really more to do with what happens, all parts and labour will be covered for the period of any warranty, but when a bulbs life expires this would not be classed as a manufacturers fault, the warranty would only cover faults for what ever period they state

25. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The warranty would cover the lamp against defect and not usage, we extend all our warrantys to 3 years which does include the manufacturers warranty

26. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone say how long the expected lifespan is for the HD-45, maybe I'm worried about nothing. Probably only watch 3-4 hours per day!

Ta ^w^

edit; lifespan of the bulb that is?

27. redknapp

redknapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As mentioned in the 1st post "The lamp has an estimated 6000-10,000 hour life". :devil: :)