JKF Airport to New York, cheapest way?

brad123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
anyone know the cheapest way to get to New York from JFK airport, some family members going in a few weeks and they have asked me this however I'm not that clued up on it. They land daytime weekday I know that much.

Think they prefer their own transport sorry should have said, is Uber over there? Private booked cab or just jump in a cab in the queue outside?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure some answers for this are in the Travel and Holidays threads under Lifestyle, maybe worth a mooch.

I've never had a connection from JFK as I prefer Newark into NYC, and I when I do that I prebook online (there are many options) and IIRC it was about $70.00 in a private car into Manhattan.

Sky train thingy to Jamaica then the green line to Manhattan was I think $6 - 8 to Jamaica then get a metro card to grand central which was cheap

Sorry didn't read they wanted private transport, I got a town car from Manhattan to airport and it was about $80 bit honestly the trains are pretty good

The proper yellow taxi cabs have a fixed price which has been set by NY from the airport to the city. This is not per person, but for the trip.

JFK Airport to Manhattan transfer - NewYorkCity.uk

It's clearly not cheaper than the train, but is so much easier and takes the hassle out of it.

You could try a pre booked private taxi, but whatever you do, do not take a non yellow taxi cab that hasn't been pre-booked.

Ive done the trip the other way and paid a yellow cab 40 dollars plus tip.

Cheapest way would be to walk:D

Take about 5 hours though:eek:

I never really worry about things like this when I go away. In the grand scheme of things with the overall cost of the holiday, $40 or $80....does it really matter what is the cheapest way?

Sorry didn't read they wanted private transport, I got a town car from Manhattan to airport and it was about $80 bit honestly the trains are pretty good

And you don't have to tip the train driver :)

Two things if you take a taxi from the airport -

1. You'll need some small change for tolls - tunnel/bridge - the driver won't pay them, you will

2. Don't just grab a luggage trolley - there are people there whose job it is to bring trolleys to you, and boy, will they let you know!

Two things if you take a taxi from the airport -

1. You'll need some small change for tolls - tunnel/bridge - the driver won't pay them, you will

2. Don't just grab a luggage trolley - there are people there whose job it is to bring trolleys to you, and boy, will they let you know!

Never needed small change in my experience (been about 8 times!). Taxi drivers use EZ Pass (a tag on their vehicle for tolls), you're expected to pay them as part of the fee but certainly not upfront. I'd recommend pre booking with Dial7 - they will need to tip on top.

I'd also recommend Dial7, I used them for transfers to and from Manhattan last year.

I went to NY last year and never had to pay for the tolls. It was part of the fare.

Some good recommendations above, so will move to the appropriate forum now

Just back from New York, took a yellow cab from Manhatten to JFk, there were four of us all with luggage. The driver had that EZ pass that was mentioned and the taxi charge was the fixed fee, tolls weren't added. We gave him a good tip as well as he got us to the airport in good time, despite awful traffic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom