Jittery recordings on my Panny DMR-EH60D

wolfie1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

After 3 years of faultless service, my Panasonic HDD DMR-EH60 recorder is playing up.

Recordings have started becoming jittery, and the picture will occasionally momentarily freeze. On some recordings, when it is really bad, the TV screen will even go black with no sound.

I thought it was a playback issue, but to be sure I tried watching live broadcasts through the DVD tuner rather than the TV tuner. I found that the live programmes suffered the same jittery picture. When it is really bad, the Panny TV makes a rather unnerving "cracking" sound when the picture breaks up.

The TV and DVD are served by the same aerial, but unlike the DVD tuner, the TV tuner is perfectly OK.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what's caused my recorder (the best gadget I have ever bought!) to throw a wobbly?

Thanks

Can I just check- is this an EH60D ?

Hi Gavtech,

Yes, spot on. DMR-EH60D is the model number on the machine.

On the instruction manual it says DMR-EH60DEB

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

After 3 years of faultless service, my Panasonic HDD DMR-EH60 recorder is playing up.

Recordings have started becoming jittery, and the picture will occasionally momentarily freeze. On some recordings, when it is really bad, the TV screen will even go black with no sound.

I thought it was a playback issue, but to be sure I tried watching live broadcasts through the DVD tuner rather than the TV tuner. I found that the live programmes suffered the same jittery picture. When it is really bad, the Panny TV makes a rather unnerving "cracking" sound when the picture breaks up.

The TV and DVD are served by the same aerial, but unlike the DVD tuner, the TV tuner is perfectly OK.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what's caused my recorder (the best gadget I have ever bought!) to throw a wobbly?

Thanks

I don't know whether I can be any help here.

The EH60D has proven to be very reliable and has no stock faults of which I am aware.

I do not have the circuit for this model which also hinders any informed speculation.

However, quite coincidentally, the day before you posted, I was looking at a picture of the innards of an EH60D and my experienced eye was alerted to a point that I thought would likely cause problems at some stage.... and the problem area happens to be on the tuner board. (See picture)

I suspect that Capacitor C0701 could cause problems... also possibly the cap immediately to its right. To the left of C0701 is a hot spot... quite possibly the DVB-T chip is on the underside of this board at that point and is the cause of the hotspot. [DVB-T chips are heavy consumers]

The heat will cook the cap over time and may cause premature failure.
If my hunch is correct, then being so close to this chip it is almost certainly associated with it and could cause the problems you describe.

The problem is - without the circuit, I have no way of knowing for sure whether that capacitor could in any way be implicated with the problems you are having.

I don't know if you are in a position to speculatively replace that capacitor or have it done for you... but it is the only suggestion I have at present.

Otherwise replacement of the tuner or tuner board - if even still possible, is likely to be prohibitively expensive.

Other possibilities are that there are capacitor issues back in the power supply. If there were regulator problems, I would expect other symptoms.

You may also have seen the 'Loss of freeview' problems associated with the EX75/85 range [ Search for C1533] caused by a capacitor.
To my knowledge, this has never occurred with the EH60D...again without the circuit I do not know if the same or an equivalent capacitor is present to be the possible cause of this problem... but further enquiry down that route may be fruitful.

Has anyone got a service manual for the EH60D - Please?

Attachments

• EH60D Tuner Board.jpg
    EH60D Tuner Board.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 439
Thanks Gavtech.

Probably the most comprehensive reply I have ever had to a forum post!

I will keep an eye on the problem, thankfully it's only occasionally intermittent at the moment.

Thanks Gavtech.

Probably the most comprehensive reply I have ever had to a forum post!

I will keep an eye on the problem, thankfully it's only occasionally intermittent at the moment.

Good luck... and please keep me informed of how it progresses.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom