Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

See Elm Hill in Norwich in June 2019 when they shot the exteriors! We don't get much snow that time of the year. You're welcome to visit this historic street.

Attachments

• Elm Hill.jpg
    Elm Hill.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Good review, thanks.
Wife.loves xmas films & a musical to boot 😁
What did you mean with regards to:
"It’s a nice change of pace to have a film about a white Christmas that’s a little… less white than usual"

Good review, thanks.
"It’s a nice change of pace to have a film about a white Christmas that’s a little… less white than usual"
She means that the great majority of mainstream Christmas movies are about white families and it's good to see a little diversity in holiday programming.

Good review, thanks.
Because the majority of the cast is black?

She means that the great majority of mainstream Christmas movies are about white families and it's good to see a little diversity in holiday programming.
Ok not sure.the need to bring that into the equation tbh, wifey has watched a lot of xmas films and cant say I have noticed that but anyway

Ok not sure.the need to bring that into the equation tbh, wifey has watched a lot of xmas films and cant say I have noticed that but anyway
When we're talking Hallmark, defo. They have a lot of representation (though find me a mixed race Christmas couple that isn't black/Hispanic and I'll give you a prize - that whole deal is a separate conversation!)
But looking at bigger budget broad appeal Xmas blerg, it's definitely the norm for it to be pretty pastey.

I think Bad Santa is pretty diverse, and ticks all the boxes for a family friendly festive feast.

Cheers for the review Kumari :thumbsup:

When we're talking Hallmark, defo. They have a lot of representation (though find me a mixed race Christmas couple that isn't black/Hispanic and I'll give you a prize - that whole deal is a separate conversation!)
But looking at bigger budget broad appeal Xmas blerg, it's definitely the norm for it to be pretty pastey.
Agreed.just don't really get the need to bring it up, it would not have come into the conversation for me whatever skin colour of the cast. Anyway good to see some fairly decent xmas stuff being made

Got to say I found this dull. Watched with the family tonight. Fell asleep about 4 times in the first hour and felt like it ran on another 2 hours after I woke up.

Songs went on forever and story went nowhere. Kids got restless about half way in.

Not one we’ll be returning to!

Maybe I just wasn’t in the right frame of mind.

Roll on Christmas Chronicles 2 to save the day!!

Last edited:
Can't say i'm going to watch it and tbh its sounds like a box ticking exercise...however all of that aside
is it really a 9/10 film?

A 9/10 of film, would have to be an absolute classic that you would come back to year after year and love forever?

I noticed the 'Back to Future Trilogy films ' ,'Rear Window' and'The birds' also scored 9/10, is this film on the same level of quality , story and longevity as those films or is it really just another filler with a bunch of cash thrown at it by Nexflix to cash in on the holiday season . The Goonies only got 8/10!

I'm sure it fills a purpose for its target audience and kills a couple of hours pleasantly enough but somehow i don't think its going to be another 'Wonderful Life'

Can't say i'm going to watch it and tbh its sounds like a box ticking exercise...however all of that aside

A 9/10 of film, would have to be an absolute classic that you would come back to year after year and love forever?

I noticed the 'Back to Future Trilogy films ' ,'Rear Window' and'The birds' also scored 9/10, is this film on the same level of quality , story and longevity as those films or is it really just another filler with a bunch of cash thrown at it by Nexflix to cash in on the holiday season . The Goonies only got 8/10!

I'm sure it fills a purpose for its target audience and kills a couple of hours pleasantly enough but somehow i don't think its going to be another 'Wonderful Life'
Agreed very odd scoring for a very disposable Christmas film?

Thanks for the Review, Kumari. We don't have Netflix so will not watch this, but nice that there is another Christmas themed item for people to watch - I love the traditional fare, but another one is not to be sniffed at.
Regarding the score, as this isn't a review of a 4K release the score is all about how much the Reviewer enjoyed it & how well it was done. For instance, I can't stand Kanye Wests' Music, but someone who enjoys his style would give him maybe a 10, but hate my Favourite Talk Talk Albums.

Thanks for the Review, Kumari. We don't have Netflix so will not watch this, but nice that there is another Christmas themed item for people to watch - I love the traditional fare, but another one is not to be sniffed at.
Regarding the score, as this isn't a review of a 4K release the score is all about how much the Reviewer enjoyed it & how well it was done. For instance, I can't stand Kanye Wests' Music, but someone who enjoys his style would give him maybe a 10, but hate my Favourite Talk Talk Albums.
isnt a review supposed to be neutral?

I see your point but perhaps this is better compared to the likes of The Greatest Showman, a film which I think quite a few would happily give 9/10.

Although I've not seen JJ yet - saving it for the family at Christmas - the trailer alone made them think it was this year's Greatest Showman. As modern Christmas musicals go, if that's your thing, then this seems like a welcome winner.

I thought the movie was good but not great. No Greatest Showman; probably could have been 30 mins shorter. I thought Ricky Martin could have been utilised more too...

But it had lots of tender moments and Whitaker's singing abilities were a pleasant surprise! Enjoyable watch overall

Last edited by a moderator:

Boxes ticked
Christmas movie [✓]
Musical [✓]
Hitchcock movie [...]

Only two out of three boxes ticked by the looks of it.

Is there, or is there likely to be, any other option bar Netflix for this?

Got to say I found this dull. Watched with the family tonight. Fell asleep about 4 times in the first hour and felt like it ran on another 2 hours after I woke up.

Songs went on forever and story went nowhere. Kids got restless about half way in.

Not one we’ll be returning to!

Maybe I just wasn’t in the right frame of mind.

Roll on Christmas Chronicles 2 to save the day!!
Agreed it only got such a high score cos of the cast.

I totally agree with the review. We’ve just finished watching it now. It’s amazing, magical and heartwarming. The underlying theme is believe. Don’t we all need this in our lives right now. I would buy this tomorrow if it became a 4K release. It’s one of the best Christmas movies to come out in a long time. It will certainly be on our Christmas viewing list every year in fact we’ve already decided we will watch it again on Christmas Eve. Every film has its lovers and haters. Each to their own.

Really? You've never mentioned it before. Apart from every single review of a netflix release.
Just laying that out for full disclosure, as you & keithwiggens are not the only people reading/posting on these Forums, then I comment on the Review & what I think about what it says about the Movie or program. Sorry so much if that gets your knickers in a twist. :rolleyes: Lockdown getting to you back in the UK?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom