Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

isnt a review supposed to be neutral?
I was very clear why a Review like this is naturally biased to the reviewers's personal tastes. How can any review like this be "neutral"? Is a particular Director "Good" or "Bad" for instance?

Anyone notice the bass significantly boosted on this by Netflix? My +4db harman curve has to be toned down which is rare!

Just laying that out for full disclosure, as you & keithwiggens are not the only people reading/posting on these Forums, then I comment on the Review & what I think about what it says about the Movie or program. Sorry so much if that gets your knickers in a twist. :rolleyes: Lockdown getting to you back in the UK?
loving lockdown thx

I watched with the family yesterday and didn’t find it bad, but certainly forgettable.

It seemed to focus more on spectacle than an interesting story

My little crabs were relatively unimpressed as well - forgettable is the perfect description. Starts with a bang and then just fizzles for an hour before stalling a couple of times in the conclusion.

I think a better film would be the prequel story... Where we get to invest in the passion of starting the Jingle Jangle store.

If you get the opportunity to watch this on a decent TV (preferably OLED) in Dolby Vision, you're in for an absolute treat. We only got our new TV a couple of days ago and had watched this film the night before it arrived on our 10 year old LCD. The difference now is spectacular. Still a very enjoyable film either way though

I know this is meant to be a comment on Kumari’s review and I will get to that. But first I just want to add my two-pennorth. Or even twenty-two pennorth.

We watched “Jingle Jangle” last Saturday evening, as we wanted to see our local medieval street, Elm Hill in Norwich, feature in yet another big Hollywood movie. We’re getting to be quite a popular city for such things nowadays, what with the Avengers coming to the UEA and all!

It looked to be a wonderful film and so we settled down, with popcorn and things, to watch a truly great Christmas movie. Only… er… I dunno, there was something missing. Don’t ask me what, as I couldn’t then and still can’t now, quite put my finger on it.

There was sugar and spice and everything nice, probably a bit too much sugar to be honest and syrup and honey and it all seemed to be just TOO sickly sweet for me and my partner. Especially as we’re both diabetic! Maybe, just maybe the actors didn’t believe quite as much as Jeronicus himself had to? It was fantastic to think that Forest Whitaker had come to Norwich, though maybe I thought (as he didn’t seem to be smiling so much, in this happy, happy movie) even HE didn’t quite see the magic, that we were all supposed to? The necessary cute kids were incredibly cute, the big bad baddie, was, well, VERY bad and the story telling lady (giving nothing away) was charming.

So I don’t know. Most people we know, who sat and watched at least a bit of this, gave up well before the end and even their kids got bored and went to do something else! But we plodded on through, right to the bitter (happy?) end. There HAD to be a point to it all surely? But after what seemed like just a few scenes too many, we finally got there. Though we felt deflated. The promise of the magic returning, just wasn’t enough to hold up this attempt at a joyful, musical, Christmas movie. Maybe if we’d turned over sooner, we might have enjoyed it more. Norwich looked great as usual, I love John Legend’s music and that was great.

Oh I haven’t mentioned ‘black’ yet have I? I see that someone mentioned the bass being just a tad heavy and I like that. In fact if there is one saving grace to this movie, it’s the fantastically heavy bass, that you find on a lot of black music, like MTV Base for example and that bit of the movie I totally loved!

I’m sorry Kumari, but try as I did to love this movie, I just couldn’t and having read your review, I still can’t find the magic to make this a 9/10. We have a UHD TV and full home cinema system. So the picture was brilliant, the sound was brilliant. The movie? Not so much. I would give it a 5/10 tops.

I don’t think it is the setting, it’s just a typical Christmas town ( looks like a olde British village type setting ). It’s just a casting choice, and one that’s absolutely fine. I am not sure why skin colour gets brought into it. Had the cast have been predominantly white it’s still be just as forgettable

I don’t think it is the setting, it’s just a typical Christmas town ( looks like a olde British village type setting ). It’s just a casting choice, and one that’s absolutely fine. I am not sure why skin colour gets brought into it. Had the cast have been predominantly white it’s still be just as forgettable
OK thanks. Not my cup of tea.

It was shot in Norwich, summer ‘19.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom