Jimi's living room renovation

Crovon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Update: Now finished. Pictures below.

Hi guys.

Just thought I would do a thread for my upcoming living room update.

We're not planning on changing too much, but its been around 4 years since I messed about with my AV gear and the missus and I want it looking a little different.

So, here is the old setup:

P1020187.jpg

The Tobo has been a lovely and reliable unit over the years, but it is a little imposing and has to go.

P1020188.jpg

Did the job this weekend and managed to sell it to a mate, so for now its on the coffee table for the gear.

P1020191.jpg

Already, its looking much more open in the room and a little bit 'fresher'.

Next up will be removing the radiator, as we have never used it, and capping off the pipework / filling in the bracket holes on the wall. Then planning and adding the cable management:

P1020190.jpg

Wont be doing that until next friday/sat, so I will update the thread next weekend.

Last edited:
Just a quick update as I am now getting things moving.

Radiator removed:

P1020195.jpg

Pipework cut back and capped off:

P1020198.jpg

Front speakers wall mounted:

P1020197.jpg

Gonna hopefully have this project finished by monday so I will update the thread as I go along.

Filla sanded down, wall and skirting painted, plus holes drilled for brackets:

P1020199.jpg

I know it looks patchy, but the paint is still wet!

P1020200.jpg

Bracket and speakers mounted:

P1020204.jpg

Last edited:
Good progress mate, that centre looks like its going to be close to the tele!

Is there any reason you didn't have all three front speakers aligned horizontally?

Also what are you going to do about the cables going up to the tele? Might of be worth putting some trunking in the wall and a brush plate at the top and bottom to hide the cables before painting etc.

Last edited:
Thanks AB.

Yeh, I've positioned the centre so although it will look close there will still be a gap. I didnt think about aligning them all tbh.

I have plenty of D-line trunking for the cables which I will be doing tomorrow. I did want to run conduit in the walls originally but SWMBO didn't want me digging out the walls and taking too long with the renovation, so naturally, like all married men do to preserve the peace - I did as I was told! :D

I'm cracking on with it tomorrow, I'll get most of it done, but the new speaker cabling I ordered didn't turn up today so I will have to finish them off as soon as it does.

More piccies tomorrow!

Last edited:
Ok, here goes!

Preparing trunking for cables:

t1.jpg

And the other side:

t2.jpg

And finally, after 3 long days that felt like they would never end - its finished!

Me and the missus are much happier with this setup. Please let me know what you think :smashin:

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

Very nice buddy, that centre speaker is a little higher than it looked in the previous pics!

Well done on your achievement! :)

Looks great that, but I'd never want my tv wall mounted as id hate looking up to the tv(even if it was slightly)

Why would you have to look up at it?

At least on a wall you've got an infinite number of places you could place it. I've got two tele's wall mounted and both are at perfect eye height - no looking up or down at all!

Thanks for the comments guys :)

BM08, as Arcam Boy says, you can mount the tv as high or low as you want it.

Mine may look like its high up, but when Im sat on the sofa its at eye level for me.

The camera doesnt really give a proper spacial sense tbh. I think the room looks very tall and narrow in the pictures, but its far from it.

Very nice pal, the wife has just bought me my first av receiver ( onkyo 506 ) hopefully I will achieve a nice clean setup like yours! Well done and enjoy

Yeah I guess but I've seen loads of people who put it too high and to me that's really stupid, it's obvious you will hurt your neck after a while.

BM08 said:
Yeah I guess but I've seen loads of people who put it too high and to me that's really stupid, it's obvious you will hurt your neck after a while.

And I fully agree with you and one guy actually rebuilt his system with in wall speakers when I commented on how his tv was. Have a look at my rooms in the gallery.

Nice job! looks nice and clean! do think the speakers should have been inline with centre, but what the hell your not doing a show home, so what does it matter! Enjoy!!!

i think this depends on alot of things, but untill you try it how can you say, i have had my tvs wall mounted for the last 7 years.

nice job grovon, my only niggle is the socket being on show,

scottthehat said:
i think this depends on alot of things, but untill you try it how can you say, i have had my tvs wall mounted for the last 7 years.

nice job grovon, my only niggle is the socket being on show,

It's funny you say that, I've got a child safety socket cover on the way and I'm hoping it's gonna mask it all off nicely.

Nice little install. But god how annoying Is that socket! Grrrrr.

Great work, would have avoided the trunking tho and fitted the cabling inside the wall, as well as moving the socket behind the unit.

Very nice indeed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom