1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JFK - Director's Cut (Region 1) (2 DVD Edition)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Feb 6, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Have just received this double DVD package throught the post, and having quickly scanned through both DVD's, I just wanted to ask/post the following:

1) Film looks stunning! And (having already seen it on VHS) the Director's Cut is better than the original!

2) On the extras disc, there is a 12m documentary about Mr X - Fletcher Prouty: my copy has major "shimmering" at the top left of the picture. The books in that part of the screen, behind Mr Prouty, sway left to right, as if this documentary short was filmed on a rather naff-VHS camcorder. Does anyone else have this same problem, please? I need to know so that I can decide whether it's just my disc that's faulty or if that is how everyone's disc has been authored. Thanks.

Finally, can I just ask Warners to STOP USING F**KING CARDBOARD CASES!!!!! They have given a double-DVD film a shoddy case, ala the R2 edition of "Any Given Sunday", and that means the 2nd DVD is in a silly, paper CD sleeve, that slots into the front cover of the cardboard case, and thus, absolutely no protection is given to that disc! Thanks, Warners!!! Does anyone have a UK and/or US address or e-mail address I can contact them on, because this practice of theirs needs to stop!!

Pooch

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    There was a major e-mail campaign started by The Digital Bits a while ago, both re: R1 Warner's 2 discs in a cardboard case and their decision to release only 'best of' TV episodes from Friends and South Park (they have the rights to South Park now rather than Rhino who did the first 2 seasons).

In both cases the campaign was a success, they are reverting to TV series in episodic order and will not be using the disc insert method for 2-disc sets. What they will be using in the future is not yet known.

------------------
    K'ung Fu-tse

The poster formerly known as PeteH, who is awaiting an apology from a certain individual....

Stuff up for auction on E-Bay

3. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in OZ with R4 Warners have replaced all their snappers cases with plastic ones, also through dvdplaza.com.au here in OZ they organised for anyone with snappers to get new slicks for free...I'm just waiting on about 20 new slicks to turn up for my R4 warners titles..

also sorry about getting abit teste in a earlier post....

------------------
    mysteriousjimmy's home cinema

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Confucius,

I checked out the Digital Bits site, but can't locate the e-mail campaign you talked about.

You mentioned that the campaign was successful, but can you post any links for it, so that I can check out the info myself, please?

Thanks,

Pooch

5. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'll check it out a bit later (my dinner is about to burn), it was a couple of weeks ago so may be hidden in their archive files. I know it was there because I sent Warner a couple of e-mails myself.

------------------
    K'ung Fu-tse

The poster formerly known as PeteH, who is awaiting an apology from a certain individual....

[This message has been edited by Confucius (edited 06-02-2001).]

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Not too difficult to find,

it's here, on the first archive page of their 'My Two Cents'. Scroll down to 1/26/01 & 1/25/01 for JFK information, and 1/17/01 & 1/16/01 for TV episode information.

Please note that The Digital Bits request that no more e-mails are to be sent re: these two subjects, it looks as though the campaign response was so great over the period of just one day (in each case) that Warner took good heed of what was said!

------------------
    K'ung Fu-tse

7. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch, the whole picture for for the Prouty interview and the rest of the disk is poor, there is lots of bits in the deleted scenes where the picture doesn't look too good to me.

Did you have any problems watching the movie, especially with chapter 55?

8. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    No problems on Ch 55 with my disc (player is a Tosh SD100).

Not watched the whole film yet, problems with the post and only got it yesterday.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No problems on my copy either with Yamaha S795. Played fine.
    But you are right about the deleted scenes. Some are very poor, but I expect they weren't 'touched up' or whatever they do for the film and were deleted early on in the editing stage. I'm not worried though, just one of those things.
    Otherwise the whole film/disc is great. [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

10. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted my problem out....used a lens cleaner and cleaned the disc!

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I'm glad to say that my JFK disc plays fine right the way through Chapter 55. I own a multi-region Pioneer 626D DVd player.

Also, just as an added thought, Warners said in that Digital Bits piece (mentioned in a post above), that their 2-disc flipper case, was the best temporary solution at the time.

No! Total b*llocks! If companies like Anchor Bay can release "Halloween" and "Manhunter" in double-disc-sized Amaray boxes, and the R2 versions of "Stargate SG-1" (the TV series) or "Gladiator" can release a double-DVD set inside a regular single-size DVD Amaray box, (using the extra flippy plastic thing), then Warner's could have done so, as well!

Anyhow, now that they have so gladly changed the packaging for future releases (allegedly), what about the rest of us poor mugs, who have shelled out decent money for excellent films in shoddy packaging?! A little paper sleeve, inside the cardboard front flap, is NOT a good way to store a DVD, no matter how temporary the situation was! Even if time was short, they could have simply put "JFK" and/or "Any Given Sunday" in two regular Amaray boxes, labelled disk one and disk two, before enclosing both in a simple cardboard case! Just as some UK R2 releases did with "Magnolia".

Are Warner Bros. DVD staff really this thick and incompetent?!

Pooch

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Must be. [​IMG]

------------------

13. DPS

DPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The driver shot jfk the home camcorder footage is sped up and they(powers that be)forged the zoom in on kennedy s head to hide the fact he was shot by the driver.zabruta (if thats how you spell his name)never zoomed in on jfk ater he was shot it was made to look that way after they(powers that be) bought the film of zabruter.dont care if the dvd is great or not the film is a lie on a lie on a lie good bye.

14. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    JFK was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald.

He was also shot at by at least one , more likely two, other gunmen.

Who knows what dark alley of liberal permissiveness the USA would have gone down had events been different that November.

Great movie though.

------------------
    K'ung Fu-tse

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Are we going into the 'Who did it thing'?
    If so, I have to warn you that I'm quite thick about it all, and the film is my only real education (allowing for dramatic license) as to what really happened.

------------------

16. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bored everyone to tears already with my defence of cardboard cases. I think they are great, but now that warners are doing 2 disc packs there is another advantage. namely, the bored, disinterested assistant in Sainbury's, Woolies etc has no chance of finding them, so they are left on the shelf. Leaving the interested few to take them as free samplers. Have a look, its true.

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Desade,

I know we're all adults here, and that what you wrote about free sampling of the 2nd DVD's in the crappy Warner's cardboard cases from certain "idiot stores", was (hopefully) meant as irony, but I don't think it was appropriate. It's as if you were condoning theft... not a good thing!

Just my opinion....

Pooch

18. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just trying to find humour in everyday situations..I feel very bad if my comments made anyone steal a warner disc and would lie to apologise for my earlier post.

STEALING IS WRONG EVERYONE. DO NOT DO IT.

(Except, obviously, encouraging R1 suppliers to steal copyright by buying from them!)