1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jesus im lost !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by the klang, Dec 24, 2004.

1. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    help im lost,
    i have a pioneer 502 mxe,(50")plasma ,no hdmi or dvi just 15 pin mini d sub and a few other standard video conections.i read somewhere that you can use a converter that will go from a dvi-i to mini d sub (analog) but not dvi-d which is digital only,if this is the case then how can i find out the type of dvi output these new hi def dvd players have because thay dont seam to ever say.im after a 720p signal from a dvd player .
    any help would be great...

2. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little bit further down the road than you are. I was going to get DVI or HDMI for my new Panny TH42PHD7 but Panny thwarted that plan for the moment.

Most DVD players seem to have the DVI-D variant. You're right you can't go directly from DVI-D to vga. This little chart shows the possible connections. So I guess either you get a DVI card, invest in a scaler or a DVI-D to vga converter. My scaler (iScan HD) can take DVI-D or I input or output.

My DVI plan has been abandoned because the Panny DVI card can't accept 720p/50. I couldn't handle the thought of 720p/60 and even the slightest judder. So I'm waiting to hear if the new HDMI card will handle it (not holding my breath though).

It may be that the Pio DVI card can't handle 720p/50 either btw. Worth checking if you go down that route unless frame rate conversion doesn't bother you.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    You wont get a DVI-I output on a DVD player. You need to go in to the HD15 input on your display. I'd look at getting a scaler to do this if you want to increase quality just now. When we start getting HDMI/DVI-D with HDCP encrypted sources you are very probably going to have to get a new display if you want to see them in all their glory

Gordon

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Except a Momitsu V880!

Steve