Jessops Deal - any good?

mib150

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a Canon 450D.
I've seen this deal at Jessops Canon EOS 450D Twin Lens Bundle

Just wondered what your thoughts were?

Also, is there anything else I should be looking for as a beginner? Should I get the Canon IS zoom lens instead of the Tamron?

Many thanks
Marcus

jonnypb

the new kit lens is pretty good for starting out

if you want a telephoto zoom as well i'd forget about the tamron and get the canon 55-250IS

Crafty

Amazon have the camera & kit lens for £30 cheaper than Jessops.
They also sell the Tamron separately for £130.
End result is you could buy the camera & kit lens now and add the Tamron (if thats what you want) at a later date and it wont cost you any more.

Edit: Just to be clear, thrown in to the Jessops deal is a 4Gb Sandisk SDHC card and a bag. They sell the bag separately for £50 and the card is £10 from amazon.
No one else seems to sell the bag, but I guess if you were to buy it all separately a bag for £20 isn't a bad deal.
On the other hand if you already have plenty of cards and have a bag you can save yourself £30 by going the amazon route.

Last edited:

T0MAT01

the new kit lens is pretty good for starting out

if you want a telephoto zoom as well i'd forget about the tamron and get the canon 55-250IS

Yep that's good advice. The 55-250 IS gets good reviews, so I'd forget the Tamron if you can stretch to it.

You can also look up all of the cheapest places to buy on www.camerapricebuster.co.uk
Although it doesn't look like they have the 55-250 listed for some reason.

Last edited:

Calzor Suzay

The 55-250 is listed here , I went down the Amazon for body/18-55, the 55-250 I originally bought through Amazon market place and got stitched up, in the end Amazon refunded the money and I bought the lens through AJ Purdy as they where cheapest plus had an extra 3% off for the day and free delivery but there price seems to have sky rocketed for that lens. I bought a tripod from warehouseexpress that came with a Crumpler bag thrown in so was all sorted :)

It's a case of weighing up the pros and cons, for me Jessops always seem a rip off, I had £25 in vouchers given to me and I really struggled to find anything they sold that I couldn't buy a hell of a lot cheaper elsewhere, in the end I bought a spare battery.

michael.redfern

If you know anyone going abroad any time soon, then Dixons Tax Free have the single lens kit for £408, with the £50 cashback making it £358. Just got one 2 weeks ago myself and am very pleased with it. Just lookin into buying a longer zoom myself and even with buying the Canon 55-250 IS at the £180 it can be found for makes the whole bundle £538 (ish). :smashin:

Last edited:

Calzor Suzay

Digitalrev started off on ebay and have progressed, they're highly regarded but I think there kit ships from Hong Kong so another one of those you take the choice.

Crafty

Good info Spod, it looks as if you are correct, all phone numbers / addresses on the site are in Hong Kong, thanks for the heads up.

mib150

Standard Member
Wow!
Thanks for all the replies guys, as it happens we are going to Eurodisney in two weeks so I'll check out East Midlands airport for a Dixons Tax Free.

I have seen the 18-55 kit on Amazon I think £455 was the cheapest less the £50 cashback so £405 is a good price IMO.

There is a trader on eBay (eshopic) selling the IS 55-250 lens for £180 including delivery, trading account based in US but listing says 'Item in UK, no hiden charges'
Although according to camera price buster Laskeys are doing it for the same price £179 inc p+p.
I think this may be the route to go down.

Thanks again.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Marcus

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom