Jessops - a good experience

barongreenback

Established Member
Reaction score
Jessops World Camera Centre in Birmingham. I decided to buy the Sigma 18-55mm f/2.8 and asked the staff for a bit of advice first. He actually told me to come back with some reference prices from the web (without prompting) and they'd see what they would do. In the end, they got within £10 of the best internet price I found, and threw in a £21 UV filter for an extra fiver. Nice work fellas!

Are you sure you don't work for them?

My only experience of Jessops was when I went in to buy a D70s. They didn't have any in stock except the one on display which, the price tag was £749.99 with kit lens.

Anyway I really wanted one like yesterday so I thought it was only a bit more expensive than ordering online and I said I'd take it. They got it down, boxed it up and then proceeded to tell me the price tag was wrong and it was £800.00!

Needless to say I didn't bother and I'm kind of glad because I held on and got a better lens with it in the end.

In my experience, it depends on the branch...

In Hull, there are two branches. The older established one in the City Centre is excellent, the staff are photographers and know what they're talking about.
However, the "new" out of town one is not good, when buying a DSLR the sales assistant thought it was faulty because there was no "live preview" on the rear LCD....

md644 said:
In my experience, it depends on the branch...

In Hull, there are two branches. The older established one in the City Centre is excellent, the staff are photographers and know what they're talking about.
However, the "new" out of town one is not good, when buying a DSLR the sales assistant thought it was faulty because there was no "live preview" on the rear LCD....

You should have said "I'll take it off ya hands for a good price since it's faulty" ;)

K.

Sarah Nya said:
Are you sure you don't work for them?

My only experience of Jessops was when I went in to buy a D70s. They didn't have any in stock except the one on display which, the price tag was £749.99 with kit lens.

Anyway I really wanted one like yesterday so I thought it was only a bit more expensive than ordering online and I said I'd take it. They got it down, boxed it up and then proceeded to tell me the price tag was wrong and it was £800.00!

Needless to say I didn't bother and I'm kind of glad because I held on and got a better lens with it in the end.
well unless they refuse to serve you as a customer you could have had it for 750, it wouldnt have made much difference to them, if the price was ever 750 then they can afford to sell it again at 750 so you should have had it.

However i have in inkling that Nikon had a cashback offer on at the time and Jessops list the price in big numbers as the amount after cashback, then underneath it says "£800 before cashback offer" The sales assistant probably didnt realised, i always thought it was incredibly cheeky but would point it out first to customers looking at it. But seeing as the info is actually there, its partly your responsibility to look properly (if that was the case, and we shall never know)

And as its been said before, if a person gets bad service, on average that person will tell 7 people. Good service they will tell 2. Its nice to see people come on here and say they have been done good rather than just venting becuase they talked to cheap student staff!

Out of interest, what lens did you get in the end?

barongreenback said:
Jessops World Camera Centre in Birmingham. I decided to buy the Sigma 18-55mm f/2.8 and asked the staff for a bit of advice first. He actually told me to come back with some reference prices from the web (without prompting) and they'd see what they would do. In the end, they got within £10 of the best internet price I found, and threw in a £21 UV filter for an extra fiver. Nice work fellas!

lies lies! THIS MAN IS CLEARLY DILUGIONED! DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT HE HAS TO SAY!

:nono:

Good to see someone got some good service from jessops, shows that its more likely a branch problem of bad customer service than simply a company one:thumbsup:

They were definately student staff, as for the price they took it down while I was leaving so who knows!

I got the 18-200mm VR II lens in the end and so far I love it, I am totally new to this though so I probably wouldn't spot any problems with it unless they were totally obvious.

no thats a superb lens, great job!
Great range on it so it can be kept on the whole time, and VR is handy as hell for me most of the time!

Just to add - the world camera centre branch in Birmingham is the one I used - good used equipment range and the staff are very knowledgable (yes, they even know what medium/large format is!!!!). Unlike the Bullring Jessops where the guy in the store did not know what a graphics tablet was and took 3 staff to advise a woman on the use of her new Coolpix.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom