Jerry Stiller

krish

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
US comedy veteran, one-half of Stiller & Meara, George Costanza's father in Seinfeld, and father of Ben, has passed away at 92. His comedy partner and wife of 61 years, Anne Meara, died 5 years ago.

RIP

Ben's mum and dad ...

George's dad ...

Loved him in Seinfeld. One of the best characters.

RIP.

He was central to one of my favourite episodes of Seinfeld :

Nice, liked, subscribed. Made me think, like you, perhaps I should watch KoQ, was never really on my radar. Have read that in some ways, it's a less psycho Frank Costanza, but we could probably say something similar with many other great comedy actors.

Thanks. I dunno if I could have seen anything over than frank in other roles. Besides king of queens had passed me by. For him to more than hold his own in Seinfeld tells you everything I think. It was a one in a million show And cast.

Thanks. I dunno if I could have seen anything over than frank in other roles. Besides king of queens had passed me by. For him to more than hold his own in Seinfeld tells you everything I think. It was a one in a million show And cast.

When I say Seinfeld and other people say Friends, I just lose the plot :laugh: Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (as I have just done!)

Jerry Stiller stole every episode of Seinfeld he was in though. I think I'll watch the 'Festivus' episode again this weekend.

When I say Seinfeld and other people say Friends, I just lose the plot :laugh: Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (as I have just done!)

They are such different things. Seinfeld isn't really a sitcom in the same vein that Friends is. Friends is a template that ended up being cloned by How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory. all great in their own way but Seinfeld was a level above in its writing. It was adult but didn't rely on smut or profanity. Intelligent but silly. Oooof! Maybe I should make a video on sitcoms!

They are such different things. Seinfeld isn't really a sitcom in the same vein that Friends is. Friends is a template that ended up being cloned by How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory. all great in their own way but Seinfeld was a level above in its writing. It was adult but didn't rely on smut or profanity. Intelligent but silly. Oooof! Maybe I should make a video on sitcoms!

Yeah Friends became so repetitive it was dire. Absolutely dire. Anyone could have written the script for an episode of Friends.

Seinfeld
was just pure class. Another reason why I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David is on another level with his observations of life. And has successfully turned them into 2 amazing shows.

Anyway, shan't detract from this obituary thread anymore on that. Will just say once again what a legend Jerry Stiller was!

Nice, liked, subscribed. Made me think, like you, perhaps I should watch KoQ, was never really on my radar. Have read that in some ways, it's a less psycho Frank Costanza, but we could probably say something similar with many other great comedy actors.
He was just adorable in KoQ

Search for the scene when he tells Doug to order pizza on the phone from a little local joint...

Jerry Stiller was quite possibly the funniest man that ever walked this earth. Fantastically funny. Rip.

Quite an interesting revelation earlier this month was that Jerry had been originally set to play Hesh, Tony’s close advisor and friend in The Sopranos, but had to drop out due to scheduling issues (exact reason below, I won't spoil it :)), so Jerry Adler was then quickly cast. Hesh was in the series from the pilot through to the final season.

The casting directors talked about it here ...
- around the 12 min mark

This is the one where Arthur got a lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni on King of Queens:
1651843109807.png

KoQ is constantly available locally for $35 USD, but unfortunately it's only DVD quality.
The HD blu-ray sets are made in Germany & not compatible with my region.

For me, the funniest thing Jerry ever said was this:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom