1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerry Springer The Opera - the Movie.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Family Guy, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case you haven't heard, this movie is being shown on BBC2 on Sunday at 2200.
    Caused a lot of contraversy amongst the blue rinse brigade...got a lot of swearing in it.

Why don't these :censored: whinging :censored: turn the :censored: channel over they don't want to haer people :censored: swearing!!!

:censored:ers!!

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Because if a bunch of whinging :censored: Sihks succeed in getting a play they didn't want cancelled why the :censored: shouldn't White Anglo Saxons? :censored: liberal :censored: suckers are sailing this country into the cess-pit of political correctness.

No, I'm not being racist, or having a go at Brian. I'm experimenting, testing a theory...

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

I personally can't :censored: wait to watch this :censored: show on :censored: TV tonight. Especially as the :censored: show has so much :censored: swearing in it! :laugh: Should be :censored: awesome to see :censored: idiots getting :censored: parodied and having the :censored: :censored: taken out of them!

Seriously though, if the show's played in numerous theatres without problems, why should a single late-night TV showing be so controversial?! I've not seen the show, so I can't comment on its rudeness or merits, but I certainly can't see this having half-as-much-swearing as Mediawatch claim! If their statistics of 8000 swear-words is correct, that would mean in the 120 minute show, there'd be 66 swear-words a minute - which, when you look at it that way, isn't even physically possible, by the fastest speaking actors in the world! Mediawatch are a bunch of idiots, and John Bert should be put out of his misery once and for all, in my opinion! If it weren't for him, this show probably wouldn't have had much press coverage as they've freely given it. :mad: and :suicide:

Oh, and those who burnt TV licences in protest yesterday, at the BBC, will they now be targetted by TV Licencing for a) no longer holding a valid licence, and still using their TV-receiving equipment, and b) will the police prosecute them for causing a public nuisance? :lesson:

Lastly, the show airs on BBC2 TONIGHT - Saturday 8th Jan - at 10pm! Cheers! :)

Pooch

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Thanks for that. I've had difficulty finding decent programmes worth watching since Ban This Filth finished. The nice lady on that programme used to let me know everything worth watching in the coming week.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I had no intention of watching this show (never could stand the "real" show) but with all the fuss I am going to record it for viewing before the watershed:)

Personally I think Springer was at his best on The Simpsons:)

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta :censored: agree with you there mate... :censored: hilarious...split my :censored: sides!!
    Really :censored: up here as well, haven't I - Stupid :censored: !! Course it's on :censored: tonight...nearly :censored: it up for everybody there!! My :censored: apologies everybody.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

Until the past couple of days, I wasn't going to bother watching or video-taping this, because it looked total :censored:. But after all the press and commotion over it, it's going to be a huge laugh if the BBC do air it tonight.

It's kind of "must see TV". Kind of like: "Where were you when the news showed the first man on the moon/Big Brother first aired on TV (and was original)/when the Blue Peter garden got trashed?!" It's going to be one of those things that you know will get discussed with all your friends, even if you totally hate Jerry Springer! Heck, I'm not a great fan of him, but this is going to be such a riot... and probably for all of the wrong reasons!!

It'll almost be like watching a televised execution, except it'll be the BBC committing corporative suicide, rather than just the one individual! :laugh: I can see tomorrow mornings headlines, in the "Screws Of The World":-

"The BBC is Dead! Long live the BBC!"

Pooch

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Uh - oh , think Family Guy could be regressing to trooper mode :laugh:

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No :censored: way!!! :nono:
    Just trying to get on the :censored: Jerry :censored: Springer show!!

:D

10. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I didn't find the swearing offensive, or the depictions of religious icons. What I did find offensive was the lack of a decent tune, the break-a-glass singing and the overracting of David Soul!

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Well, it certainly wasn't as explicit as we'd all been led to believe, was it? :boring: Plenty of f-words, for sure, but less than 20 of the dreaded c-word (claims of over 300 were obviously deeply exaggerated), and the blasphemous material, wasn't even attacking Christianity or the characters of Jesus, God, Mary, and Adam and Eve themselves, but the concepts of good and evil, and the fact people think solving problems is possible on a TV show!

Oh well! It was an interesting experience, but not nearly as good as I had hoped. The first half was good, second half was dull, more than anything. My fave characters were Satan/the warm-up guy, and Jerry's Valkyrie, who popped-up every now and again.

Anyone going to watch the discussion show on Thursday at 7pm on BBC2? More to the point, anyone else wandering if tomorrow will come at all, seeing as civilisation as we know it has now been truly and utterly ruined, because of the BBC showing this two-hour opera on TV?! :D

Pooch

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I enjoyed it but as is usual in these situations it was a lot of fuss over nothing.
    There was a lot of strong language (especially if you counted each word idividually as sung by every member of the chorus) but Deadwood was just as "bad" and there are certainly more shows/movies out there that would make someone question the validity of christianity and/or religion in general.

As a stage show I think Jesus Christ Superstar was better, wasn't into theatre reviews when that premiered but I imagine that got far more stick then this little piece:)

13. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    I thought it was crap...it was so up its own arse and smug.

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Watched it for 30 mins and then got bored. Funny initially but it wasn't exactly sophisticated or clever.

Terrible music , David Soul was irritating as hell.

15. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I agree with the comments so far........

Yeah i thought it was ok, nothin' like the storm the media slugs were brewing over it. Not really an opera fan, some of the dialogue was difficult to follow.

Had it's funny bits and not at all offensive like the religious nuts protesting about it. (Sounds about right with the religious crowd, heads up their own arse, and not bothered to watch something before making judgement !!)

Well done the BBC for going ahead with it.......

Just my thoughts.......

Cheers

16. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    I'm with Mr D. on this.

Just how many times is the C word or the F word that funny? There's just as much bad language in Celebrity Big brother at the moment which, incidentally, was far more amusing than this. BTW Is John McCrirrick the grouchiest man in television or what?

As for the music and singing it was more like a student eview than anything else, and not a very good one at that.

CL

17. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the 8000 figure must have been generated thus:

80 chorus singing XXX 100 times (or that sort of thing)