Jerky video playback on new 360

massman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I just got my 360, and I'm experiencing a weird problem. A lot of the videos I download from XBL run jerky/choppy, not smooth like I thought they would.

The GOW trailer is quite bad when it first starts, but I also notice it on the viva pinata video that came on the hard drive.

Has anyone else seen this problem or has any ideas to sort it?

Thanks

Dale

Hi
i've had a similar problem too. Spoke to ms and they say its normal:rolleyes:

So any help on this would be cool

Whats it like watchin dvd's ? The same?

I found the audio keeps going out of sync

Hi

Yeah, DVD playback isn't very good either :(

I can't believe that this is normal!! Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks

Hard disk error I should think. Back to the retailer she should go :hiya:

I have jerky video with my Region 0 NTSC DVDs. Any way to fix it?

Most stuff on the marketplace is done in NTSC for 'merkins - I'm guessing you're all running in 50Hz, if you change the console to output in PAL60 it will probably get rid of the jerkiness. If you're hooked up to an HDTV via component/VGA, you may have to downgrade to SD to see the option to change to 60Hz (it shouldn't make any difference as it should be outputting at 60Hz in HD anyway, but it seems to clear up some problems if you hook it up in SD, change from PAL to PAL60, then hook it back up in HD - some weird bug).

Also if you're using VGA on a toshiba wlt58 series LCD tv it judders like mad and nothing can be done.

Also if you're using VGA on a toshiba wlt58 series LCD tv it judders like mad and nothing can be done.

I have the 37inch version and when using with the pc I havent seen any juddering. Got any more info?

Mine is the same, disconnect from Live and it works perfectly.

I think sometimes Live takes quite a bit of system resources and once you try to play video it all goes pear shaped.

Hi all

Thanks for the help - I've tried mine on 50hz, 60hz, 720p, 1080i & standard def - nothing seems to make a difference :(

Be good if someone else can download the Mission Impossible 3 Trailer in HD & see if it runs jerky? Also the GoW trailer at the beginning when the camera pans down looks awful. Anyone got these?

Cheers

Dale

Hi all

Thanks for the help - I've tried mine on 50hz, 60hz, 720p, 1080i & standard def - nothing seems to make a difference :(

Be good if someone else can download the Mission Impossible 3 Trailer in HD & see if it runs jerky? Also the GoW trailer at the beginning when the camera pans down looks awful. Anyone got these?

Cheers

Dale

Its normal and started to happen after a recent update.

Hi

Thanks! Well I'm hoping it's not my 360, as I bought it mail order & can't send it back easily :(

Anyone else seen this problem?

hi

im having that too!, only since the last update which is weird...

couple of mates are experiencing the same as me.

This problem had been around for a long time.
I see it on many HD videos from the marketplace.
In fact one of the "fixes" included in the fall (most recent) update was to improve the jerky playback of marketplace HD trailers, but it obviously has not worked.

As you say, the MI3 and GOW trailers show this. I find it in the Halo Wars E3 trailer at the beginning when panning up, the Bioshock trailer at the beginning and also when the camera turns to go through the waterfall, amoungst others.

So basically what I'm saying is, it's not your 360.

Thanks guys

Although this sucks, it makes me feel a better that it's a more widespread issue & not my 360 - so no sending it back over Xmas!!

Lets hope MS sort this soon, especially before we get the video download service in the UK!!

Thanks again for the responses - if anyone else has this, or a fix, then let us know! :)

You have to wonder how they managed to screw it up.

Playing a video isn't exactly the hardest task for a 360 to do, and I'd imagine it's even using a microsoft codec.

You would think....!

So much for the MS invasion of our living rooms......

Really hope they sort this, the TV/Video downloads in the US look great.

:clap:

Got mine today downloaded all the updates & a video to test it, works fine very smooth here :cool:

Hi

What's your setup? Did you try the MI3 trailer / GOW trailer?

Dale

I have a 50 inch DLP Rear Pro Display and sit around 8 feet away, the jerking is easily seen on this setup.
A friend of mine has a 40 inch LCD and sits around 10 feet away, the jerking is far less noticable but definitely still there.

The ease at which you will see it, will change with every display and seating position.
Plus you have to watch the right videos to see it, fast panning is what will show it.

I have a normal set-up, JVC 32" HDTV, xbox linked via component, not tried the GOW trailer as I have the game, might go for MI:3 & report back men.

I'm using a 42" Samsung HD plasma, sit around 8 feet away & it's very noticeable. I also tried the Viva Pinata vid, you can see the jerking on that quite badly. Some vids run ok, but none run well.

I was contemplating trying to swap mine out, as I don't have any friends local with one to compare on my TV. However, given what everyone is saying, it seems like a standard 'feature' :rolleyes:

I don't see anything on games, PGR3 & GoW run very well - seems to be limited to videos. Needs to be sorted though, I would imagine a lot of people had the plan to use the 360 to view hi-def content.

Has anyone seen anything with the new HD-DVD drive?

It seems that we've uncovered a bit of an 'issue' with the 360 on this, I wonder if it's as widespread on US NTSC consoles?

I'll give MS a call & post back with their response...

You do not get this with HD-DVDs, WMVHDs on a disc or streamed HD video.

It is only when you watch a video from the XBox 360's Hard Drive which has been downloaded from XBox Live. Which is quite an issue with respect to their movie download service in the US.

Well, MS say it's normal..... I've tried the WMVHD burned onto disc & it runs fine... Lets hope they sort it on a future update!

:lease:

You do not get this with HD-DVDs, WMVHDs on a disc or streamed HD video.

It is only when you watch a video from the XBox 360's Hard Drive which has been downloaded from XBox Live. Which is quite an issue with respect to their movie download service in the US.

That's not entirely true, I get it on Region 0 NTSC DVD's. Running at 60hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom