Jerky video on hd discs??

Reaction score
Ive watched a couple of films now and have suffered all the way through with what looks similar to 3:2 pulldown but worse, little jerks every few seconds like a frame is missing or something.
I know its not me or the disks, as I also have a standalone RCA HD-DVD, which does not suffer any issues, video playback is smooth and crisp.

does anyone else have an idea how to resolve or is it a ¨feature¨?

probably because it is playing at 60hz, is there an option to select 50hz?

It will be playing back at 60Hz but unfortunately there is no way (that I'm aware of) to change this to 50Hz on the 360... MS should fix this and the low audio dynamic range issues if they really want people to take the HD-DVD seriously as a piece of AV kit.

if i remember correctly they added 50hz for dvd & hd-dvd playback in the autumn update

It will be playing back at 60Hz but unfortunately there is no way (that I'm aware of) to change this to 50Hz on the 360... MS should fix this and the low audio dynamic range issues if they really want people to take the HD-DVD seriously as a piece of AV kit.

Current commercial HD DVD's are encoded at 24p and are designed to playback at 60hz only. All current HD DVD players and BD players for that matter output HD discs at 60hz.

AVI

Ive watched a couple of films now and have suffered all the way through with what looks similar to 3:2 pulldown but worse, little jerks every few seconds like a frame is missing or something.
I know its not me or the disks, as I also have a standalone RCA HD-DVD, which does not suffer any issues, video playback is smooth and crisp.

does anyone else have an idea how to resolve or is it a ¨feature¨?

I had this problem too and was quite worried but I did find a solution, which worked for me anyways...

Are you using the VGA cable? If so, change it to component and I bet the problem goes away!! I don't know why it works, it might just be my TV but it works for me :)

I had this problem too and was quite worried but I did find a solution, which worked for me anyways...

Are you using the VGA cable? If so, change it to component and I bet the problem goes away!! I don't know why it works, it might just be my TV but it works for me :)

worked for me as well, but i changed back to VGA a while later and the problem was gone.... very odd but glad it's sorted now

ill give it a go with with component when i can be bothered.

possibly a 50hz/60hz vga issue, maybe thte update only fixed for component

got my drive today, using vga no stuttering :thumbsup:

:mad: the frame stutter spoils the enjoyment i wouldnt call it the look and sound of perfect on the 360 far from it.
I have seen it on orther 360s too so i know its not mine thats faulty it seems to be something to do with 60hz.

can anyone who says their machine is fine confirm they have compared against an actual tosh hd player?

and have not just been seduced by the hd picture on the 360?

tried the component out tonight, definite improvement, not as jerky.
equally not quite as smooth as the standalone hd-dvd.

is this due to the reverse 3:2 pulldown thing that the toshes do?
does the 360 have the same feature

I'm having the same problem. Am also using VGA. I don't have a component cable (Core), but will get to see if it makes a difference for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom